Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

National Dolphin Entertainment Wiring

I have a ‘05 Dolphin LX that has a cabinet to the right of the TV with 4 shelves of components. I need to install the converter to receive the TV signal. Everything is screwed down with less than 2 inches of room between shelves and even less on the sides. All the wiring is anchored and taped together so tight there is no give to work with. The only opening is a 1” X 6” slit the back facing the windshield for ventilation I assume. Does anyone have any idea how to get to the wiring and/or figured out the logistic of doing this? We can not discover how this was installed much less how to work on it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sandi
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you'll find that the entertainment componets are fastened down with either velcro or two-way tape and not screws. At least all of mine were. Its not easy, but you can break their grip by gently pulling on the components. If you can remove any trim around the front of the cabinet it would help. Below is an attachment of the wire for the entertainment center. It was drawn in 2002 but might still apply to your motorhome.

Schematic of hook up with king dome.pdf
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 03 same floor plan as yours. If someone comes along with a ready solution I'm staying tuned to learn.

However; mine had a plastic bezel surrounding the DVD etc---making it even less accessible---I tires of it took the bezel off then removed a few shelves which allowed me to see better what I was going on---than and only then did I get access. I rebuilt the shelves--trimmed in our wood color and tossed the bezel away.

It sounds to me like all your shelves are full of components---mine were not because I do not have satelite receiver. I eliminated a shelf and respaced them making it a bit easier.

Eventually I removed my huge TV and replaced it with a flat screen (you have one already I think)---I wonder if your TV comes out if there is side access---not on mine but it made things easier to work with--that is a relative term because it was all PITA. If my left arm was about 18 inches longer it would have been easier-----aside from sharing your pain I gave a few hints---but I wish you luck that maybe by 05 they found a way to make this easier.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

I wish mine were in with Velcro or 2 way tape but everything is screwed in with L brackets. I have no clue as to how this was put it. Everything seems to be layered on top of what I need to get to. No plastic just beautifully finshed wood.

I don’t even want to think what would be entailed changing out the TV. The labor cost would be through the roof.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well actually there are lots of threads about the TV change---I'm sure many specific to your model. It is not as difficult as you might think as a do it yourself (need to be handy with wood). I'll bet there are many who can respond with how to and pictures to boot.

You may not feel the need to change---but maybe you will sometime.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Bob AKA two2go sent me these instructions to help me remove and replace the front RCA CRT TV with a flat screen in my 05 Dolphin 5342:

"The links below take you to threads I posted about the removal and replacement. Let me know if you still have questions. Bob
My replacement...
How to... "

I hope these instructions may be of some help.

JJ
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Bob AKA two2go sent me these instructions to help me remove and replace the front RCA CRT TV with a flat screen in my 05 Dolphin 5342:

"The links below take you to threads I posted about the removal and replacement. Let me know if you still have questions. Bob
My replacement...
How to... "

I hope these instructions may be of some help.

JJ
Just noticed you are in Covington, I'm in Conyers.
Thank you, I'm going to check out the instructions.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
lenjen,
To slide out the shelves for access, you need to unscrew the verticle wood shelf stops, one on each inside of cabinet. To access the two screws ea. side remove the wood plugs. Now the shelves can be slid out and removal of components is possible.

Ed
Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's what my 05 Dolphin's video distribution center looks like after you take almost everything out.

The reason I was able to take this image is that the original RCA CRT TV was dead. After using BoB's (Two2Go) instructions I got the TV out and decided to swap out the DVD/VCR player because I don't use VHS tapes anymore. The RCA DVD/VCR player was held down by two "L" brackets screwed to the rear of the box. I almost had to climb in behind the cabinet through the empty metal box that held the TV to get to the screws. I replaced RCA DVD/VCR player with a DVD player that takes up about a 1/3rd of the space.

As the image below shows I found the upper left 120v socket labeled "Power TV" as if it was a heavy-duty surge suppressed outlet. It is dead - no power shows up on the pins of the socket. The two 120v sockets on the upper right have power that is provided by the inverter. I also found that the video distribution center is directly wired to the inverter.

As you can see, even with the support brackets removed, the shelves cannot slide out through the front of the cabinet without removing the two vertical pieces of wood on either side of the cabinet. I didn't need to remove them to do what I needed to do.

I hope this information is useful.

JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6551S.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	13677  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The dead TV circuit is suppose to go dead when the ignition is in the on position so the TV cannot be watched while the motorhome is moving. If it is constantly dead, then there is something in that circuit that is faulty. I unplugged my TV from that outlet and plugged it into one of the other plugs years ago. I often turn the ignition switch to the on position to check my mileage for the day and the TV would turn off if it was on.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fred,

Was your video distribution center hard-wired?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have to remove the two screws on each side under the wooden plus,the two bottom door catches and the lower lift cyl bracket. It also makes it easyer if you remove the door. Then remove the two side bars and the shelves will slide out.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #13

Mine was the same way. Use an ice pick to pop out the wooden plugs to get at the vertical and horizontal wooden strips. I used double sided tape to mount my RCA converter and added a duplex plug to the ignition defeat plug to power it. That way, if I have to use the generator while traveling, the converter doesn't get any AC. It really does make it easier to remove the door.

I've also read where people have removed some of the back plates to make it easier to move or route the cables.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Fred,

Was your video distribution center hard-wired?

JJ - The quick answer is no, however mine is an older model then yours. Judging by your picture, you have a later model video distribution center (VDR) that has a built in RF Modulator. My RF Modulator is separate and it is plugged into 110v. My VDR is only connected to 12v for the power boost in the antenna. The RF Modulator is needed to convert the RCA A/V jacks from the DVD sound system to coax cable. This allows you to push the button on the VDR for DVD (or aux in my case). My guess is that your VDR is hardwired to 110v to supply power to the built in RF Modulator. When I install the new TV a RF Modulator will not be needed as I will have a separate HDMI cable going from my new DVD sound system to the TV and I will select the input for the DVD surround sound on the TV. If you haven't upgraded your sound system, then you'll have to use the DVD button on your VDR. I will have an optical digital audio cable going from the TV to the sound system so I can use it when the TV is on cable or antenna. I plan on eliminating the RF Modulator and the VCR. I will only need the VDR for cable or antenna input. I hope this answered your question and you understand what I am trying to say.

Tags
dolphin, national, wiring