Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
National Double Pane Window Seal Issue

I'm looking at purchasing a 1998 tropical MH private sale and from what I saw there are about 5 or 6 windows were the dividing seal between the double window panes has been drawn upwards from the bottom of the window in a few windows at least a few inches has any one tackled this type of repair or know how to correct this and how much grief am I in for to correct this issue the lower drivers window seems to be the worst perhaps 3 inches
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
google these two terms:

rv double pane window repair

fogged rv windows

Lots of info, DIY, links to threads here, commercial repair service, etc. One guy from Oregon tours the country fixing them, has a good rep. Expensive, but he comes to you and knows how to fix 'em.

It is also likely that National bought their windows from somebody, could even be Winnebago (atwood) and you can get replacement panes. I can't tell you where their windows came from, but my guess is they didn't make them themselves. Someone in the biz might know. Whomever made them may have record of each window for each model they built. That's how Winnebago does theirs. You can order the whole window assembly or just the glass - it comes direct from the factory, made up to spec.

Otherwise you can have them done or do them yourself. I have two panes that have some fog, very minor right now, but I can buy the new glass panes for cheaper than it would cost to fix them - like $250 for them both, shipped.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Where you are located and how far you are willing to travel has a lot to do with who I would recommend. There are good guys on the west coast as well as the east coast. If you go to Quartzsite, there is a guy that repairs windows there.

So where are you?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
He's in Belleville Canada
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Thanks all Im living currently in Kingston ,Ontario that's a city at the very east end of Lake Ontario if anyone has ever traveled to this area or there is a border crossing (Bridge) to New York state just over a half hour away
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We had that same problem in our 1999 Tradewinds with six windows I believe. A guy in Mesa, AZ repaired them for $500 at our site. It took him about three hours to do them all. That was over two years ago and all is still well.

Here are some pictures of him at work.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...057%213510&v=3

Dick
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
We had that same problem in our 1999 Tradewinds with six windows I believe. A guy in Mesa, AZ repaired them for $500 at our site. It took him about three hours to do them all. That was over two years ago and all is still well.

Here are some pictures of him at work.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...057%213510&v=3

Dick

Nice!

I'm gonna get some tats like that too.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #8

I had a few spare minutes at work today and found Dave Roots web site and he sells kits for the do it yourselfer and will ship to Canada the 5 window kit with instruction around the $260 mark plus shipping via USPS to Canada so it looks like something I could handle
The seller is at the $13,500 mark for the coach and Im sitting on the fence on purchasing it .The coach sold AS IS no Safety inspection sale and it has 3, 9 old tires on it and the brake pedal gives you the feeling of wanting to use 2 feet on the brake what kind of pressure should I expect to use pedal Oh its a chev p30 chassis 1998 Tropical 36 ft
Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a cheap enough price.
There are two things that concern me though....one is the p30 chassis and the other is that National is long gone. They were out near here in Perris CA when they were building those. Probly no biggie, but just making sure you know there's no factory support for the coach.

I would do some more research on that chassis just to make sure there aren't serious issues. I may be mistaken, but my take was they weren't quite heavy duty enough, or were over built for capacity, and something about the steering and front suspension on them. Just a heads up.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Thanks Chris I have been reading and researching MH on this site for a couple of years now Im aware of National now being an orphan ,this coach has a Banks systems on it so that's a big draw for me and I like Chevy platforms the only concern I really have is the brake issue and looking thru the receipts the owner has the 3rd axle brakes were rebuild twice almost $2000 each repair and with the real heavy foot needed on the brakes pedal it mat be time for some new disc brake work
Old 07-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a lot of support for National RV's here on iRV2, the Yahoo groups National RV forum, and nation wide groups of National RV owners. As for the chassis it a Chevy chassis before Workhorse bought it. All of the appliances were made by manufactures that are stll in business. As for body parts any shop that does good fiberglass work can repair them. The original Fleetwood is no longer, be interesting how much support owners of coaches built then will get from the new Fleetwood.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hehr windows manufactured windows for alot of national rv
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #13

Have had the same "gasket creep" issue on my windows in the past. My windows were manufactured by SeGi down in CA somewhere near Perris where the National factory was. SEGI was ABSOLUTELY no help to me when I started dealing with this problem. I have worked with Dave Root and highly recommend him for "gasket creep". He recently told me that there is now a company in Florida as well as another in the Midwest doing this type of work. Additionally, he spends a week or so in Quartzite in the winter doing his work. Beware of others who CLAIM to do the same quality work that he does. I'd email Dave from his website and ask questions....he is very helpful!
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had two of my windows done in Massa Az also by Auto Glaas Boss. They did them for $90.00 each. I had them done at there place and they have full hook ups if you need to spend the night there. If you are down in the area this winter this is the place to have them fixed.

Tags
national, seal, window