Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
National Pacifica residential refridgerator

Anyone ever change out Norcold to residential Samsung? My Norcold is in a slide & does not work well in Florida heat. I have JC Amish cooling unit installed by them. I want a Samsung RF18 but fitting may be an issue height wise.
Lots of research but not for a Pacifica.

Tom 07 Pacifica TE40B
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 11:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Here is a document with the exact dimensions of the Samsung and the space in which it will fit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf From Never Cold to No Frost.pdf (2.69 MB, 56 views)
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #3

I just did this install on my 2006 Tradewinds 40C. This was not in the slide, but if I can help with questions you may have just ask.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew143 View Post
I just did this install on my 2006 Tradewinds 40C. This was not in the slide, but if I can help with questions you may have just ask.
I'm curious how involved this was as I also have a 2006 40C and have been thinking about either a residential replacement or doing the JC Refrigeration compressor upgrade. My current Norcold works fine but I'm worried about the fire potential more than anything.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

It was not that difficult. I had repaired my fogged drivers side cockpit window so I had it out, which made removing and installing new fridge a breeze with 3 people. I did lower my base platform about 1 1/2" to gain the necessary room to open door and help my 5' wife out! It fits perfectly in the cabinet. My Norcold never cooled the fridge below high 40's, the door seals were bad and I had to fabricate new door hinges on the bottom after they almost fell off on one of our first trips with it. Could not see putting any $$ in this fridge so I went with the swap, so far so good!
Old 06-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
It was not that difficult. I had repaired my fogged drivers side cockpit window so I had it out, which made removing and installing new fridge a breeze with 3 people. I did lower my base platform about 1 1/2" to gain the necessary room to open door and help my 5' wife out! It fits perfectly in the cabinet. My Norcold never cooled the fridge below high 40's, the door seals were bad and I had to fabricate new door hinges on the bottom after they almost fell off on one of our first trips with it. Could not see putting any $$ in this fridge so I went with the swap, so far so good!
Good to know. So you didn't need to do any trim work other than lowering the floor? Did you happen to take any pictures?
Old 06-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

You will need to trim the upper board above the existing fridge. I actually removed the lower board trimmed it in half to lower the base and actually used the piece that I trimmed in half for the upper one. It worked out slick. Gave me about an inch or two between the top of new fridge and the molding board.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

I only had a semi complete picture. I am very bad a taking or keeping photos!
And apparently at figuring out how to rotate them..... I tried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvsamsung.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	289847  
Old 06-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
I only had a semi complete picture. I am very bad a taking or keeping photos!
And apparently at figuring out how to rotate them..... I tried.
You did a very nice job, it looks like a factory install the only issue that I see is that it's not in my motorhome! I went and looked mine over yesterday and the amount of work to get the old one out, modify the cabinet and get the new one in is more than I can handle and more money than I want to spend for labor to have someone else do it. I looked my door seals over and they look fine so I think I'm going to go the JC Refrigeration route and have them do it.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I cannot find a fridge that will fit in Norcold space except a Fisher Paykel for $2500. I do not have the 70 inches for anything else. The most I may be able to do is 68 inches and that is pushing it. I cannot drop the false floor because of all plumbing & electrical in the slide.

One issue with keeping a Norcold is the door seals. Norcold will not sell seals for the doors. They will sell a door. I had my Norcold replaced under warranty because of the seals. The warranty company would not do a residential unit. It cost they $8000.00 to do a Norcold. A residential would have cost 1/2 that.

Three years after the new one was installed,cooling unit quit. I replaced it with an Amish unit and also was in Indiana at JC's twice. Problem is the doors not the cooling unit. For me, it does no good to go with the compressor cooling unit.
I have searched for weeks for a good replacement but no luck unless I pay $2500 or more.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #11

Just to update you on my own experience with my newly installed residential fridge....wow is all I can say. We have been out 3 different times with the new Samsung. Definitely one of the best improvements I have made in my 14 years of RVing! Anyone on the fence I suggest jumping over...just my experience anyway lol.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I ordered a SamsungRT18M6215 due to be delivered Aug 10. Takes 1 month for delivery. It does not have drainage issue as other Samsungs have. It has a top freezer & ice maker. It is 66.75 h x28.75w x 31.875 d.. I will need to trim 2" off top and fill in about 2" on right side with Cherry wood. Hope all will go ok.
Tom 07 Pacifica TE40B
Old 07-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #13

I hope it works out for you as well. It was amazing to have a fridge that within a few hours was at temperature -2 & 38 degrees and dropping ice from the ice maker. This past weekend it was mid 90's and humid where we were and every time i went in it read -2 and 38!!! Best of luck with your upgrade.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Saw this video the other day that people considering a residential fridge may be interested in.

https://youtu.be/ZU5VUpvQQII

Tags
fridge, national