Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

National Tradewinds MH

Hello everyone, I am new to your forum. I live in Canada and am presently looking to purchase a used Class A diesel. I have found a 2002 National Tradewind LTC 7374. To import into Canada I need a letter stating that all recalls have been done to the motor home and chassis. I believe it has Freight-liner chassis. I can get the chassis recall letter from freightliner. Does anybody know where I can get a recall letter for the MH itself. I looked on a recall website and there were no recalls for 2002 National Tradewinds. National is out of business. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
slauso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #2

Recalls are usually or maybe only safety issues with the chassis. I would imagine that the import department would only be interested in that part only
Post43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

According to Canada Customs. Any recalls that were issued against the MH or Chassis need a letter stating they were performed on the MH being imported. It could be a fridge boiler tube recall. I need to obtain documentation stating the recall was completed. If National is out of business I have no idea where I would get that letter. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
You may find what you need here:
NATIONAL RV RECALL NOTICES - LATEST RECALLS FOR NATIONAL RV - ARFC

Dick
Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Our governments are out of control!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I did see that website. If there is no way to get a letter from the manufacterer I will just take national of my list off possible MH to import to Canada.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
check RIV.CA or phone the CBSA and explain the situation and they will tell you what to do. Most units are imported then given the seal of approval from any Canadian Tire store. (sounds strange but true)
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slauso View Post
I did see that website. If there is no way to get a letter from the manufacterer I will just take national of my list off possible MH to import to Canada.
You won't be able to get a letter from National. The plant was closed down and all the property was sold. No one picked up any liabilities or went into manufacturing of the brand. I think Monaco bought most of the intellectual property, but they have changed hands twice since National went out of business and didn't offer any support on any National product which was to be expected.

Check this tread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/nati...on-168655.html
janus2 was asking the same question and didn't post if they were successful, but a PM to them may get you more info on how they did.
BTW they only made three posts so it's a slim chance, but worth trying.

Dick
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #9

Dont give up. The National unit is well built and great investment. Keep hounding the people who are informing you on what you need to get the unit into the country. There has to be a way.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
check RIV.CA or phone the CBSA and explain the situation and they will tell you what to do. Most units are imported then given the seal of approval from any Canadian Tire store. (sounds strange but true)
Thanks, good info. I will call them
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
You won't be able to get a letter from National. The plant was closed down and all the property was sold. No one picked up any liabilities or went into manufacturing of the brand. I think Monaco bought most of the intellectual property, but they have changed hands twice since National went out of business and didn't offer any support on any National product which was to be expected.

Check this tread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/nati...on-168655.html
janus2 was asking the same question and didn't post if they were successful, but a PM to them may get you more info on how they did.
BTW they only made three posts so it's a slim chance, but worth trying.

Dick
Thanks for the info. I will visit the recall website
Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I imported our National Dolphin 2 years ago from the US. I phoned RIV first just to be sure about recall clearance letters. They said, without hesitation, I only needed a recall clearance letter from the chassis manufacturer. The import process went well without any problems. This RV already had DRL , so no mod. required , so when home I just took it to a local Canadian Tire for the RIV check (must be within 45 days of coming into Canada). Next, to a truck shop that was authorized to do the provincial safety checks. Also, be sure to give the US border crossing, that you use, 72 hours or more notification and copies of paperwork before you arrive at that US customs location.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
I imported our National Dolphin 2 years ago from the US. I phoned RIV first just to be sure about recall clearance letters. They said, without hesitation, I only needed a recall clearance letter from the chassis manufacturer. The import process went well without any problems. This RV already had DRL , so no mod. required , so when home I just took it to a local Canadian Tire for the RIV check (must be within 45 days of coming into Canada). Next, to a truck shop that was authorized to do the provincial safety checks. Also, be sure to give the US border crossing, that you use, 72 hours or more notification and copies of paperwork before you arrive at that US customs location.
Thanks Gregoryj. Good information especially coming from a fellow manitoban.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I also imported a 99 Tradewinds with chassis (Freightliner) manufacturer's recall letter only.

The RIV website does say that you need both but for the last 2 motorhomes I imported, I only got it from the chassis manufacturer and it wasn't a problem.

With that in mind, you probably CANNOT import a National RV Islander since it was built on a Country Coach Inc (which is out of business) chassis and when I contacted Country Coach Corp a few years ago, they said they could not issue a recall clearance letter for Country Coach Inc (which makes sense since they are not the same company).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national