Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Need Help - looking at a 2001 National Marlin M350

Hi from Las Vegas,

I am bumper-puller RV'er and looking to add to my wife's and my retirement by stepping up to a Class A. I know I want a National, and have my eye on a 2001 Marlin M350, but that is really where my education ends.

Can any of you folks who are savvy with the National line offer me any suggestions and be willing to help with my assessment?

Many thanks in advance,
Donnie B
donnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
SLK

Not knowing your circumstances, it's hard to give advice. When we bought our 2008 Pacifica, I started by looking at the 2000 National Tradewinds. My wife didn't want something with low ceilings, so that meant nothing older then 2005-2006. I looked at other manufacturers, but I really love the structure of the Nationals. I also wanted a Cummins engine. I think that Cat engines will do the job fine, but they cost more to maintain. I have also had a lot of people, including Cat mechanics, tell me to buy Cummins. Makes you wonder. Diesel engines and Allison transmissions don't really care how many miles are on them, as long as they are properly maintained, but everything else in a motorhome does. A motorhome is a house that, when moving, is experiencing an earthquake. That is where Nationals structure comes into play. When looking over a prospective purchase, look at everything!!! Leave no door unopened and don't be afraid to get dirty looking underneath. The most important thing is the tires. Check the date codes on all the tires. Tires may look great, but tires over 7 or 8 years are need replaced. It's a safety thing. You don't want one blowing out as they can cause a lot of damage. Bottom line, If you don't feel qualified to look it over, pay to have it inspected by a knowledgeable RV mechanic.

Here is a link to the RVT National RV's Just get the most bang for the buck.

National Rv Class A - Diesel - New & Used RVs for Sale on RVT.com - Page 1 of 3
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

Thank you for the advice. I agree with your assessment regarding the structural integrity of the National chassis, Cummins/Allison combination, and got a chuckle from the wife with your earthquake comment...very insightful.

I had to pass on the Marlin for a variety of reasons, but have my sights set in the right direction. Although the price was right, I couldn't get pass the stains around the air conditioners and not knowing how long they had been leaking. Then came the "back into a corner" phone call with the threat of another buyer. Funny how it sat for 3 years with no action and then all of a sudden.... You get the idea.

So the search goes on. But I got a sigh of relief from my old 18' Coachman knowing that its retirement date just got pushed out

Thank you for your message and support.

Be well,
Donnie B
Old 04-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought a 2001 Marlin 390 2 years ago and did some remodeling, mostly cosmetic and am very happy with it. Its GVWR is #26000 lbs (exactly) which means it gets over 10 mpg in diesel and does not require a Class B license to drive. It has a 300 HP Cummins with Allison trans. It has 2 slides and I bought it from an estate sale at a very good price.

Here are some pics of my remodel:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zzjea/sets

I couldn't be happier with it. If you ever get a chance to find one of these one of a kind (made only in 2001), and it is good condition, it may be worth it. It was for me.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Except for the engine and chassis it's pretty much the same as a Tradewinds. I have a lot of doc's online for my 99 Tradewinds and you can read about the OEM Equipment anyway. https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...2766057%212101
I haven't any experience with Cummins or Spartan but the 300hp Cat coupled with a Allison 6 speed is a real good match in a 26,000 pound coach. We get about 9.5 to 10 mpg consistently since 2007 when we bought ours. In the White Papers folder at the above link is a document about buying a 10 Year Old Coach that has some things you may want to check out.
Dick
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Hi Dick,

My wife and I have been through your documents and just want to send out a HUGE thank you! What a great compilation of important documents. It is just a mater of time until we find the right National Motor Home and can begin our journey as you did.

So again, thank you very much as well as to the others who have posted their thoughts and information.

Best regards,
Donnie and Deb Beson
Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
No worries mate

Good luck.
Dick

Tags
national, need help