Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need help troubleshooting inverter issues

Hoping for some troubleshooting tips/suggestions to resolves issues with my inverter.

The inverter is a Dimensions Unlimited DUI-12/600 (600 watt). This little thing (when it works) powers the TV and AV equipment in the front of the motorhome - a 2004 Dolphin LX 6342. I am having two issues with the inverter:

#1 - when I hook up to campground power, I almost always have to fiddle and reset the trip button on the GFI outlet that is built into the inverter, and which provides AC to the TV/etc circuit. I am thinking I should replace this GFI outlet... ? Any tips on doing this? The inverter case looks to be riveted together but I can't tell.

#2 - the inverter was working when I bought the motor home about three months ago. That is, when turned on it would power the TV/etc when running off the house batteries. It stopped working about a month ago and I haven't had the time, until now, to focus on getting it working again. I can fiddle with the GFI trip button all day long but cannot get any AC power out the outlet. Yes, the inverter is turned on AT THE UNIT and also the REMOTE switch. The Low Battery indicator is not lit. Ideas on steps to troubleshoot?

Question: Physically next to the inverter is a Parallax 7400 Series Converter/Battery charger. I am NOT having any issues with the batteries properly charging - all is fine. But I'm wondering if the DC voltage input to the Inverter is provided by this Parallax unit? And, if so, is there a fuse somewhere I need to check?

Thanks!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
my first question is why are you using the inverter at all when on shore power? As you stated in #2 the inverter draws power from the house batteries and provides "AC" power to the system.

The "Parallax 7400 Series Converter/Battery charger" is a second inverter (converter) so how is all this stuff fit together? Sounds like you have an AC/DC war going on in there. Why isn't the Dimensions Unlimited DUI-12/600 connectred directly to the house batteries?

Just wonder'n.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
my first question is why are you using the inverter at all when on shore power? As you stated in #2 the inverter draws power from the house batteries and provides "AC" power to the system.

The "Parallax 7400 Series Converter/Battery charger" is a second inverter (converter) so how is all this stuff fit together? Sounds like you have an AC/DC war going on in there. Why isn't the Dimensions Unlimited DUI-12/600 connectred directly to the house batteries?

Just wonder'n.

Not using the Inverter when on shore power. However, the AC (as opposed to DC) power for the front entertainment system runs through the inverter when hooked up to shore power, and is fed through the GFI outlet... which trips a lot. Hence my question about replacing the GFI outlet.

Yes, one of my questions for issue #2 is "how is all this stuff fit together?" As far as I can tell, this is the factory original configuration.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That is how mine is configured. Power for those outlets comes from the inverter. No bypass when plugged in to shore power. So that means the batteries are always powering that A C circuit, which is not optimal when running off batteries only.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

I don't know about optimal as it is the only way one would get AC power when running off battery, ;-)

It sounds like the setup always runs off the battery thus using the battery and inverter as an Uninterruptible Power Supply and general power cleanup system. Sort of an elegant way to do it. When on AC the Parallax is supplying DC to the battery and the DC circuits in the MH including the inverter. That is a typical low end installation used in most MH's.

The place I would start is to trace the wires back and see if they run to the converter or a fuse panel. If I had and real questions I'd disconnect power and drill the pop rivets to get into the Inverter so I could check on what was going on. YMMV.

The GFI is an iffy call. They are notoriously finicky so replacing it is probably the easiest way to troubleshoot it. If the new one keeps popping you have a ground somewhere you do not want one.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
YC1

You need to measure the DC voltage at the input to the inverter first. Loose wires could easily cause an issue.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
That is how mine is configured. Power for those outlets comes from the inverter. No bypass when plugged in to shore power. So that means the batteries are always powering that A C circuit, which is not optimal when running off batteries only.
The inverter the OP refers to DOES have a bypass in the form of an internal transfer relay! This transfer device requires 12 volts.

If shore power is available at the inverter, it passes thru to the outlets---ONLY if the inverter has a 12 volt supply connected to its dc inputs.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your Battery Control Center (BCC) is similar to mine and the inverter was installed by National the inverter is fed through a circuit breaker on the BCC. The inverter breaker on my BCC is in the upper right corner on the board. There is a reset button on the side of the breaker.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The weather is getting a little more user-friendly and I hope to be spending time today in the BCC compartment with the inverter, etc. Will be checking breakers, fuses, etc.

I am wondering if the inverter's TRANSFER SWITCH is "stuck" in position to pass AC? Does anyone have thoughts as to what triggers the transfer switch to pass DC from the batteries when not connected to shore power?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The transfer circuitry,(relay) in the inverter is associated with allowing shore power to pass straight thru to the ac outlet plug When:

shore power is present AND dc 12 volts is present at the inverters' input And inverter is set to OFF.
IF inverter switch is on, AND 12 volts is available, THEN the ac outlet of the inverter will provide BOTH shore power or inverter power to the outlet with shore power given priority.

This how the same inverter I have works. The aux wire(purple) of the inverter is for a remote switch to turn on the inverter using a switch that NRV locates near the entry door. This also needs 12 volts to function.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
The transfer circuitry,(relay) in the inverter is associated with allowing shore power to pass straight thru to the ac outlet plug When:

shore power is present AND dc 12 volts is present at the inverters' input And inverter is set to OFF.
IF inverter switch is on, AND 12 volts is available, THEN the ac outlet of the inverter will provide BOTH shore power or inverter power to the outlet with shore power given priority.

This how the same inverter I have works. The aux wire(purple) of the inverter is for a remote switch to turn on the inverter using a switch that NRV locates near the entry door. This also needs 12 volts to function.
My Dolphin DOES have the remote switch mounted at the entry way. It is my understanding that it this switch actually controls whether the Inverter is ON or OFF... and that proper operation requires the ON/OFF slide switch on the front of the inverter to be left in the ON position.

The remote switch illuminates when in the ON position, but I *assume* the lamp is getting its power from the battery side and so just because it is lit does not mean it is working properly. Am I on the right track?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
If your Battery Control Center (BCC) is similar to mine and the inverter was installed by National the inverter is fed through a circuit breaker on the BCC. The inverter breaker on my BCC is in the upper right corner on the board. There is a reset button on the side of the breaker.
The 12Vdc Power Dist Diagram for my Dolphin also shows a CB with a reset (see attached), but I can't find it... would you please describe to me what it looks like, or upload a pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diag.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	80007  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
YC1

http://www.wiringproducts.com/short-...unting-bracket

The breaker may look like this. Could be a metal housing.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
The 12Vdc Power Dist Diagram for my Dolphin also shows a CB with a reset (see attached), but I can't find it... would you please describe to me what it looks like, or upload a pic?
The circuit breakers, there's three of them, upper right, upper left, and lower right corners are on the back side of the board. The only one on my board that is easy to see is the upper left.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, need help