Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need part info for City Water/Tank Fill valve

I've noticed that my fresh water tank slowly fills when I'm on city water. It seems there is a problem with the three way brass valve (Watts Regulator?) that is used for City Water or Tank Fill. Can anyone help me with a part number and or source to replace this valve? See attached image.

Also, when running cold water out of the bathroom faucet using the water pump, the water sputters. Sputtering does not happen when using the water pump for any other water: hot water out of the bathroom faucet, hot or cold water in the kitchen and shower, or the commode.

Finally, the water pump surges and subsides with all usage.

Is it possible the sputtering and or surging issues are related to the problem with the City Water/Tank Fill valve? That is, could the water pump be trying to pull air from the city water side, through the bad valve?

Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-WayValve.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	83762  
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you city water fill valve is allowing air and water to by pass and fill your on board tank.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Sounds like the one-way valve in the water pump is bad.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post

Finally, the water pump surges and subsides with all usage.

Any help is appreciated!
I found that the my pump was sensitive to voltage drop in the wiring and would surge. I rewired pump feed directly from the BCC via a 30 amp fuse and a #10 wire size. I used a standard 30 amp auto type relay at the water pump. The original pump feed was reconnected to the relay coils. This eliminated surging of my pump.

This will result in additional battery drain by the relay but we are accustomed to turning pump switch off when dry camping.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I've noticed that my fresh water tank slowly fills when I'm on city water. It seems there is a problem with the three way brass valve (Watts Regulator?) that is used for City Water or Tank Fill. Can anyone help me with a part number and or source to replace this valve? See attached image.
You are correct about the watts regulator causing the water tank to fill while on city water. Had to replace mine for the same reason and it cured the problem. The Watts part number I ordered was 1/2 B6780M1. If you call Watts at 978-689-6066 they will refer you to a plumbing supply near you that sells their product. The only problem I had was that I had to tell them that it was not for potable water as they didn't have any lead free valves at the time (three years ago) In California, all potable water plumbing must be lead free. The plumbing supply I bought it from said there was a part number assigned for a lead free valve but there were none available at the time of my purchase. They might have them now.

Don't know if the valve is causing your sputtering.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
You are correct about the watts regulator causing the water tank to fill while on city water. Had to replace mine for the same reason and it cured the problem. The Watts part number I ordered was 1/2 B6780M1. If you call Watts at 978-689-6066 they will refer you to a plumbing supply near you that sells their product. The only problem I had was that I had to tell them that it was not for potable water as they didn't have any lead free valves at the time (three years ago) In California, all potable water plumbing must be lead free. The plumbing supply I bought it from said there was a part number assigned for a lead free valve but there were none available at the time of my purchase. They might have them now.

Don't know if the valve is causing your sputtering.
Thank you for the part number! I've done some research and found the part, ranging in price from $38 to $320! Amazing. I will call Watts to find a local source.

I am also going to replace the water pump while I'm at it... the pump is the original and therefore 10-11 years old. I'll probably clean up the old one and keep it as a spare.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just replaced the water pump with the same model FloJet (4406-143). Time and money was well spent as this seems to have fixed most of the issues:
- No surging
- No sputtering at bathroom faucet
- Some improvement in water pressure
- And... much quieter

I will probably buy a 3-way ball valve but not install it. Just keep on hand in case I need it later. I can live with the slowly filling water tank, although I also think this is stealing some of my water pressure. My hesitation with replacing the ball valve is LEAKS... IMO, better to leave that tiger alone.

BTW, I found the easiest way to get the old pump out was to reach up in the wheel well and remove the two screws that hold the wood mount to the wall of the water bay. Then I just pulled the wood and pump out, replaced and remounted the wood block.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE: Watts B6780M1 is now obsolete and could not find anywhere. Ordered 1/2 LFB6780M1 (Watts p/n 0555219) instead. This is the same valve but is now lead-free, but does NOT have the mounting assembly. I will keep this as a spare and figure out mounting if needed.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
UPDATE: Watts B6780M1 is now obsolete and could not find anywhere. Ordered 1/2 LFB6780M1 (Watts p/n 0555219) instead. This is the same valve but is now lead-free, but does NOT have the mounting assembly. I will keep this as a spare and figure out mounting if needed.
Got the valve a couple days ago... looks exactly like the original, including the mounting assembly.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Got the valve a couple days ago... looks exactly like the original, including the mounting assembly.
That's great news.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water