Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
New Dolphin Owner

Well after almost two yrs. since discovering this great forum and asking questions and shopping around for a used MH we pulled the trigger on a 2005 6376LX. We will be driving it home sometime in the next two weeks a 550 mile trip from near Birmingham to St. Louis. After driving down and back I don't think we can do 550 miles in one haul, actually I'm certain of it. It's too long of a haul for a new driver traveling 60-65mph. My question is I see OTR truck drivers sleeping at rest areas. Is it typically ok for an rv'er to do the same? Would a Walmart be better. The rest areas are certainly more convenient and I have one in mind. Thoughts?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Congrats on your new "Baby". Wish I could help you on the rest stops, I only use them for lunch breaks.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The way I understand it, rest stops are not supposed to be used for overnight stops. Nothing wrong with a couple hours. I would not be comfortable staying over night in a rest stop.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Dolphin Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
The way I understand it, rest stops are not supposed to be used for overnight stops. Nothing wrong with a couple hours. I would not be comfortable staying over night in a rest stop.

I get that just wondering. Planning our trip back, what about Cracker Barrels? I see that CB's and Walmart's are marked in red in my Next Exit Guide. Does that mean they are RV friendly? Cannot find the key for this guide explaining.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
550 miles is a long haul for even someone with many years under their belt, I've done it and it is rough on the body and mind, so happy to hear you're not going to attempt it. I have never stayed at a Wal-Mart (I don't even shop at them) but I have spent some time at rest areas, not the entire night though. Usually pulling in after dark and heading out soon after sunrise. The few times I have stopped at RA's, I never had any problems. Most of the time while traveling, we find a CG not far from our route and help out the local economy.
Good luck with your new Dolphin I'm sure you'll love it.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We have used rest stops, walmarts and truck stops none are for "overnight" stays. In other words pull in at 5-6 and stay until 7 or later in the morning. Usually when we are using one it is because we need a few hour break and will pull in like 10 pm and are gone by 8 if not earlier in the day.

Some states have 4 hour limit on stays and others have 8 hour limits so you should look up the limits for the states yo will be in.

One other to remember you will be dry camping for the stop so make sure you have water and the batteries are good.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
We have used rest stops, walmarts and truck stops none are for "overnight" stays. In other words pull in at 5-6 and stay until 7 or later in the morning. Usually when we are using one it is because we need a few hour break and will pull in like 10 pm and are gone by 8 if not earlier in the day.

Some states have 4 hour limit on stays and others have 8 hour limits so you should look up the limits for the states yo will be in.

One other to remember you will be dry camping for the stop so make sure you have water and the batteries are good.

yep on that

Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

With that long a trip I'd stay in camp grounds, where you can relax and unwind. Good luck and enjoy your new Dolphin, I still love mine after 5 years.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #9

I would google the walmart do not park list. Walmart puts it out, saves time when looking for a Walmart. I also use " passport america" for short stays which gives you 50 percent off they have many campground in their directory. Rest stops vary by state but are usually loud, trucks coming and going. Cabelas and Cracker barrel offer RV overnight parking as well... Good Luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the campgrounds, full hookup, relax, watch TV. If yu can cut the trip in half, then its easy to take your time in the AM and have a easy drive both days. I have dune a few 9 hour drives and am told that it makes me grouchy. Check Good Sam, rvparkreviews, and Passport America for parks and rates.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I would google the walmart do not park list. Walmart puts it out, saves time when looking for a Walmart. I also use " passport america" for short stays which gives you 50 percent off they have many campground in their directory. Rest stops vary by state but are usually loud, trucks coming and going. Cabelas and Cracker barrel offer RV overnight parking as well... Good Luck.
Thanks I have that app now.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We just recently stayed in a Walmart but I went inside and asked because there was a sign which stated overnight was not allowed. I talked to the manager and they said could not give permission but no one would do anything if we did. We stopped at 5:30 and left by 7:30 next morning. Parked away from entrance so didn't take up parking for customers up close.
nanc1860clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two day trip. And while you can use a Walmart, truck stop, or test area (state rules vary/depending), I would recommend a campground. As the coach is new and unfamiliar to you it will be easier.

You might check for a lessor priced CG or Passport America for a member CG about halfway to save a few dollars. For example, we recently made a one night stopover returning from a week of vacation at a conveniently located, nice and clean CG with a pull through space for $27.00. Cheap enough.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Two day trip. And while you can use a Walmart, truck stop, or test area (state rules vary/depending), I would recommend a campground. As the coach is new and unfamiliar to you it will be easier.

You might check for a lessor priced CG or Passport America for a member CG about halfway to save a few dollars. For example, we recently made a one night stopover returning from a week of vacation at a conveniently located, nice and clean CG with a pull through space for $27.00. Cheap enough.

I found a CG just off the highway about the half way point with pull thru and heated bath houses. Coach is winterized so a hot shower and spending the night with the slides out will be nice. First night will be at WM near a Workhorse facility just after a campaign repair. It will be dark by then.

Tags
dolphin