Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #1

Wink New National owner needs help PLEASE

Our family are new owners of a 1997 National Dolphin RV and I would like some info about the good and bad about the Dolphin, also in the slide-out book it talks about the transit bars and I think I have them but do not know where to install them, could someone help me out Please Thanks Ken
KenneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Congrats on the new MH. National made some great motorhomes, I'm sure you'll love yours. I think the transit bars are to insure the slide stays retracted while driving. I would imagine they would go inside the MH between the slide facia and the outer wall of the MH. Maybe some owners of 97 Dolphins can give you a better idea of the use and if you even need them. Normally the slide motor has a builtin lock to keep the slide retracted while driving. Have fun with the new Dolphin
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2005 Dolphin doesn't have transit bars. It uses a magnetic motor lock to hold the lounge slide closed.

Ed
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #4

I had to buy some "Transit" lock bars as the slide bounces going down the road and lets in rain near the top. Just bought some new Pickup bed cargo bars and took them apart and cut them down to fit between the slide facia and the wall of the motor home. They are a ratchet type (similar to a caulking gun) and works real well. Only thing when you go to release them you need a hand tool of some sort as they lock pretty tight. I put mine on top as I had one on the side and it dropped on my head while driving down the road. There is a lot of flexing going on in these rigs. Newer motor motor homes have automatic slide locks built in. HWH manufacturing makes them. Wish I had a set but you have to go thru a dealer to get them and probably get them installed also.
Oh yeah, I had the slide bars that Camping World sells but I sure didn't like them, that is the one that fell on my head!
Darryl 99 Tradewinds 7370
DarrylGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #5

I cut a 2*4 and made mine
Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

Transit Bars

Thanks guys for the info and the trick with the 2x4. Ken
KenneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And the 2X4 makes a great club.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #8

Help keep the windshield from cracking from the slide bouncing in and out on hard turns.