Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #1

New owner...dead batteries

Man do I feel stupid...just got back from AZ after purchasing a '99 7372 Trade Winds....trip went fine...parked in front of the house...used it around the area for a day or so...then it sat for three days. Went out last evening to start it and let it run for a bit and the batteries were dead....WHAT did I leave on? Hmmm...will get it jumped later today...but guess I should have hit the "battery disconnect". I'll have to find my "cone of shame" and put it on!
jonathon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #2

Trust me as soon as you fire it up you'll find what was left on. Thank goodness for disconnect switch if I told ya how many times I hit that switch and some thing comes on that I forgot to turn off OMGEEE.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your not the first one to find yourself in this position nor will you be the last, good luck with getting it resolved.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathon51 View Post
Man do I feel stupid...just got back from AZ after purchasing a '99 7372 Trade Winds....trip went fine...parked in front of the house...used it around the area for a day or so...then it sat for three days. Went out last evening to start it and let it run for a bit and the batteries were dead....WHAT did I leave on? Hmmm...will get it jumped later today...but guess I should have hit the "battery disconnect". I'll have to find my "cone of shame" and put it on!
Are the chassis batteries totally dead so that the engine not crank at all, or does it make some noise?

I think the battery disconnect only disconnects the house batteries, not the chassis batteries. If both sets of batteries are dead, then I'm wondering how old are all your batteries?

The chassis batteries only are connected to the ignition to start the engine and to the entry step. I suspect a few of the 12 volt outlets in the front area are also connected to the chassis batteries, too. Maybe others can chime in if I've overlooked anything connected to them.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

Dale
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Look on the dash on the left side for a switch labeled "BOOST". This switch will when pressed connects the chassis and house batteries so you can get her started using the house batteries. It's momentary so you'll need to hold it down while starting. Wait for the "Wait to start light" to go off before using up your batteries. Chassis batteries don't die just sitting unless something is wrong. Use an amp meter to check for current while everything is off. If the drain isn't meaningful than you'll need new chassis batteries. I had to change mine last fall and found the batteries were original. That's a lot of years. The cost was around $300 for two new batteries. The ones in your coach are probably 900 Cranking amps each which means to run down in a couple days is a major current draw, not likely the case.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Dick
Old 04-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the replies....my insurance company paid a roadside repair guy to come out and jump me...didn't take much...and the volt gauge shows full charging now, I didn't have the battery disconnect applied....ran it for an hour or so and turned it off...started up again w/no problem still charging about 16 volts....disconnected the batteries and locked up. Not sure if the disconnect works on the chassis battery as well as the house batteries. Have got some reading up to do this week on the owners manual so I can get a grip. House batteries are two yrs old and the two chassis batteries are one year old.
jonathon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries