Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
New RV

Today we bought a 2006 Dolphin after looking at a lot of other makes we found the build quality to be far better than most coaches on the market
Any pros and con would be a help
JoePut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Welcome, and sorry I have no information on your rig.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought ours new in 02 an 03 model. The final deciding point was when I did a complete inspection of all the rigs we were considering. I pulled every drawer, got into the basements, looked at welds, drawer construction, locks, cabinets, top to bottom etc; and finally concluded that the National product was better constructed than the others. We also visited the factory to watch assembly.

Obviously I agree with your choice and assesment not at the expense of any other manufacturer but the National products stand well on their own. It is a shame that they are no longer produced.

We hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours. We intend to wear it out, evidently it will take quite a while to do so. She purrs like a kitten and all systems are go.

I take preventative care of it relentlessly, anything it needs it gets.

Make sure you ask questions here and in the National forum and the Workhorse forum as they arise.

We wish you well in your new MH.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 5355 that I bought in jan. of 07 and I would buy another if they made them. I am not saying that nothing has gone wrong because all RV'S have problems but nothing I cant handle. It is important to reseal the outside of the unit every couple of years or so and do regular maint. Mine still has all the factory apliances and they all work great. I live in mine six months out of the year and travel some during the summer so don't be afraid to use it.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

JoePut, I bought mine a little over a year ago. The #5 piston broke, requiring a replacement engine, but I think it was caused by a weak fuel pump. I can't remember ever reading that National built anything but a high quality product. I joke that I have so much storage space that I have storage space just to store my storage space.

When I was looking for a MH, the two Nationals I looked at were the only ones that I didn't find something I didn't like. Things like doors in the wrong place, basement door latches that you had to hold open to close the door, bathrooms that were just not right, etc. Little things, that to me, were deal breakers.

I plan on wearing mine out too, but I think that would be hard to do. Enjoy yours. You made a good choice.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

We bought our '05 in '07 with 10k miles on it. We just turned 40k miles on our trip to Canada. I have posted elsewhere about some of the hits and misses with ours, but overall, we couldn't have picked a more ideal coach for our needs. What model do you have? Ours is the 5342 with the big bedroom slide that includes the wardrobe. Our main problem has been with that slide drive unit. On the third replacement and many $$. If you have old tube-type TV sets, you will want to do a LCD replacement. Lots of help and pictures on this forum.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
We bought our '05 in '07 with 10k miles on it. We just turned 40k miles on our trip to Canada. I have posted elsewhere about some of the hits and misses with ours, but overall, we couldn't have picked a more ideal coach for our needs. What model do you have? Ours is the 5342 with the big bedroom slide that includes the wardrobe. Our main problem has been with that slide drive unit. On the third replacement and many $$. If you have old tube-type TV sets, you will want to do a LCD replacement. Lots of help and pictures on this forum.
Ours is a 5355 we pick it up on Wed.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2006 Dolphin

JoePut,

Congrats on the new, to you, Dolphin. Please give us DETAILS!

Model, mileage, where you are located, etc.

Find the National Owners Club nearest you, and join! In Southwest, it is The Dolphins, Northwest, The PacNats, Florida The RVNuts, etc. You can find a list at the FMCA website as they are Chapters of FMCA.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
JoePut,

Congrats on the new, to you, Dolphin. Please give us DETAILS!

Model, mileage, where you are located, etc.

Find the National Owners Club nearest you, and join! In Southwest, it is The Dolphins, Northwest, The PacNats, Florida The RVNuts, etc. You can find a list at the FMCA website as they are Chapters of FMCA.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Our Dolphin is a 5355 with 4970 miles we are located in Rhode Ialand
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #10

We had a 5355 (W-22 chassis) for 10 years. Only towards the end were things getting a little difficult. The front axle was shot and various little things kept going wrong. Having said that it was a GREAT coach for us and brought us many wonderful family trips. 9 out of 10 years were amazingly trouble free. The layout was great for a 35' coach.

While I love my new DP I still have very positive memories of our Dolphin!
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had looked at National RV a few years back and decided that their build quality is a cut above the rest of the pack in that price range.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dolphin in Rhode Island

JoePut,

Here is the contact information for the National Owners Club in your area. Give them a call and check them out. Lots of experience with National coaches!

The 5355/6355 Dolphin models is one of my favorites, but the one I decided to buy was sold before I could get tot the dealership. Worked out okay as the Sea Breeze 8375 is a great coach with a terrific floorplan!

Happy Trails!

Darryl

NATIONAL RV CLUB, NORTHEASTERN

view my list
DESCRIPTION:
No description provided.

CONTACT INFORMATION:
JUDITH JONES
3500 JAMES ST
SHRUB OAK NY 10588
Phone: 914-245-4527
Email: jjquilt45@aol.com

Chapter Officers
SCOPE:
GEOGRAPHICAL AREA: Northeast Area
AREA ASSOCIATION: Northeast Motorhome Association of FMCA
OFFICERS:
WALTER L NELSON III F293431 Pres.
ROBERT M LEUTHE III F366061 VP
JUDITH JONES F293634 Secy.
CHERYL L LEUTHE F366061 Treas.
BARBARA HIGGINS F203761 Nat'l. Dir.
CHARTERED DATE: 7/9/1999
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

2006 6320 Dolphin LX here. Bought new in Oct 05.
Just turned 67K. More miles than either of our 99 and 02 cars.
Great coach.
Ask anything, we'll try to answer too.