RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

New to me RV , Interior remodel

Needing help or ideas on changing carpet & flooring (97' Dolphin with slide) I'm a pretty good do it urselfer but wondering if I should just have this done at a shop ? I have read some of the questions on this topic and feeling pretty confident on doing it myself, but this will be a first, as i am a first time MH owner. what i would like to do is put new carpet in driving area, bedroom & slide. change hall & kitchen up to drive area with wood or ??? . My biggest concern is installing carpet on the the slide and the sliders that may damage flooring after changing from carpet to wood ( so i have read so far ) any help would be greatly appreciated..

bigbosco49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do a search on this and the Class 'A' forum for "Allure" So much easer to clean and it is thinner than wood. Also easy to install, Just my opinion.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi , I plan on doing my Dolphin too and I like the Allure . The biggest worry I have is when the slide goes in and out it dose not scratch. I feel doing the work will be easy.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We have been studying this project also. I did laminate flooring in our old coach. It worked pretty well, you just have to be sure you have enough of a gap around bolt-through items like the couch to make sure the floor can float. Two issues to consider with our current one, but not sure it is the same with the Dolphin. Ours has a floor that is sandwiched, 1/4" plywood on the inside and outside of a square tube floor grid with insulation between the tubing. I am concerned about nailing down the quarter round trim needed with laminate. The other is the slide. Best I can tell, our slide rides on rollers attached to the main floor, so the slide should not be able to damage flooring as long as the flooring is low enough. We have tile in the kitchen which shows no sign of damage. I had read that you could not use allure where temps are more than 95 degrees. I know for a fact ours is warmer than that when stored in the summer. I don't think it practical to run the A/C during summer storage just to keep the floor from coming apart. That said, I am planning to buy a handful of allure planks, attach them together and lay it out on the floor of the rig this August to see what it does. My ideal is high quality sheet vinyl, but I lack the skill to properly seam it and am not sure how I would make sure it is stuck down under the edge of the slide. I am thinking that whatever molding you might want to use around the floor could be glued in to minimize any issues with nailing. Between the dog and the grandkids, the carpet has to go.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi, I agree with maybe gluing down the trim. I would love to know more about the heat problem of the allure. Here in the NW we do the usually get to much heat , but it can happen. Please keep in touch after you try the heat on the Allure. I may get some and put some heat to it.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Thanks Mustang, I to was set on the allure over laminate for moisture reasons in kitchen & bath area, but did not consider the heat with allure, and that is a serious issue for me living in blistering southern Calif. so I guess I need to do more research. I feel like I'm going to have to pick the lesser of 2 evils.
bigbosco49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #7

Hello,

When I bought our 1997 Dolphin 3 years ago the flooring was in poor condition. Worst was the carpet in the bath bed area> here I used 14' square carpet tiles from menards. These were easy to work with in this confined area. Bonus, one gets soiled easy to remove and clean or replace with extras left over.
In the kitchen living area removed carpet and wood flooring (next to kitchen counter).Some of the wood flooring was warped from water damaged. The wood removal was the most diffcult as it as nailed and glued down. The carpet was an easy removal except for the hundreds of staples.
Replaced wood and carpet areas with Allure
When removing carpet put slide out and cut carpet along edge of slide leaving 3/4" of carpet which I glued and stabled. I used a flat medal transition moulding to bridge from the carpet to the Allure. This maintained the 1/4" expansion area. Carefull not to nail the moulding into the 1/4" area or into the Allure.
I used oak toe moulding to cover the expansion area around the perimeter
of the room. To avoid nailing into allure or 1/4" space used small drill bit to predrill nail holes thru the SIDE of moulding to guide nails into wall.
My slide has plastic slides under the slide out and so far no damage to Allure.

Replaced carpet on slide out and in cockpit area including engine cover.
No problems..On slide wraped carped down onto the face of slide and covered with 1 1/2 " oak moulding Same in cockpit, wraped carpet down face of riser and covered with same moulding. Engine cover took home to work bench and cover with new carpet using old carpet pattern to cut new carpet a little larger then trimed to fit. Used contact glue to hold in place.

Note in cockpit are added sound deading before installion of new carpet.
Hope this helps
bobfo

bobfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel