Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #15

Thanks from RUNDLC for all the replies! I had some kind of issue logging in so I had to register again. This will be my new screen name.

OK to continue, I didn't end up making a deal for the 98 national, much of what was said here was true! The guy was nice, but really tried to play down our gasser as if no one would be interested even though the interior was up to date as the wife and I did a lot to make it nice.

He wanted my coach and 27k! My wife flew off the handle so of course now thats a dead deal.

I am between a rock and a hard space, My gasser needs some suspension work 2,700 which includes new brakes and bilstiens, tires 1800.00, if I am to get more power the banks setup about 3200.00, transcommand 300.00 (although I will try to install) and the exterior needs attention minimum 4k so I am looking at around 12k! So I am stuck try and sell as is for around 10k, put another 25K with it and buy the diesel????????

I have an offer on a car that I built of 35k (I'm gonna loose at least 10-12K of what it should be worth) But it's 35k none the less.

HELLPPPPPPPP!!!!

You folks are a great bunch and I just wished I had gotten into RVing 15 years ago! Lots of nice people from everywhere what a family!

hmdznrcld AKA RUNDLC
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #16

WELL Major update!! After a few days to cool down we went and looked at a few more coaches, V-10's were the only thing in our range, we started thinking about the 98 tradewinds, went back to see it, took it for a test drive and WOW!!!! I was blown away to say the least!! DP is the only way to go for sure, I could tell right away what massive power it had. It handles like a dream, I felt so relaxed driving that I believe I could use one hand to drive and have a cup of joe in the other hand.

Bottom line is I am ready to trade my gasser and the 27k for the 98 national. I think the wife now gets it too, so much more bang for the buck, we will need to remodel the inside, but we've done that before and have no issue doing this one to her tastes.

I will find out Monday if the car sells, if so I'll be the new owner of a dp. Will keep ya posted

hmdznrcld aka RUNDLC
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
hmdznrcld...please check your PM in a few moments...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I'm kind of new to this, rving, also, but with all the rv companies going under and dealers going out of business the price sounds a little high for a 1998.
WVCoalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
hmdznrcld...please check your PM in a few moments...
RUNDLC..please check your PMs!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
When trading in your old coach, don't negotiate over what they will give you for it. The only important fact is how much you have to shell out for the new coach. Set a maximum price on what you will pay for the new coach with the trade-in included and stick to that figure. The trade-in price for the old coach is irrelevant. Go have lunch before you go in to negotiate. Take all afternoon, but do not move off the your maximum price. As it gets toward closing time, they will want to seal the deal and go home. They know that if they do not close the deal by closing time, the odds are that you will not come back in the morning. Bring a 4 PM snack with you. They will be hungry and want to go home for dinner and WILL strike a deal with you by closing time. He with the most time, usually wins the negotiations.

Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
RUNDLC...
IF YOU CANNOT GET TO YOUR PMs..then please click on my name and get my email address!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #22

YEA I am back on!!

Well as I research across the U.S. for any Tradewind dp I find nothing under 34,500. which was a 99. Only issue is that I have a gasser, I would like to have the 99 because it's a better exterior color. I won't find many people to take my 96 HR in on trade.

I "think" 27k plus my gasser is a decent deal, not great but not too bad, and I will tell you there is no comparison between the two! The diesel will be worth more in three years than a gasser.

Lukeaa thanks for the advice! That is too funny. I think with 50K miles I can't go too wrong, I will have the coach checked out from front to back. I have a buddy that warned me about Cat engines though, he asid that if anything ever goes wrong that it will cost a fortune to have repaired. He suggested a cummins instead, I think the newer nationals maybe had them but I can't afford anything past a 99 or so it seems so far.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #23

Well, for what its worth its way high for today's market. I researched and looked for 6 months before we found our 94 Newmar 40-DWSK with one huge slide, awnings over every window, almost every option available at that time. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, beautifully maintained and 100k miles. Only Needed new tires due to dry rot/sidewall cracking, 120/12 Converter. I walked away with it for 18k.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #24

Hey 94 thats a great deal! I have started looking in Az. seems they have better prices than California where everyone thinks their stuff is gold plated.
I will slow down some and research, I don't want to overspend by any means.

Now that I have driven a DP I know what I would like to have, it's really all about the correct floor plan, condition of the coach etc.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #25

I have a 99 Tradewinds 7370 and it gets around 9-10 miles per gallon and I drive around 65-70. It varies with the wind a lot.
One thing you need to check is the radiator. Lift the bed and prop it up so you can crawl down on top of the engine and shine a bright light at the fins between the blades of the fan. Mine was almost totally clogged with dirt and oil (from the slobber tube from the crankcase) I had a diesel shop clean it out for $180 and I looked again and boy did I get took. I ended up getting a garden sprayer and used Simple Green and really washed it down. Then ran a garden hose thru the side window and hosed it down some more. Looked pretty good after that. You will probably need to get a slobber tube extension that will take the crankcase fumes back under and past the radiator. Freightliner sells them. Or you can make your own.
You will still have temp problems when climbing these steep grades, just make sure you keep your RPM's up and don't try to pass everything on the road like I first did. I finally figured out that I ain't the fastest guy out there.
Another thing watch your leveling system pump. The bracket that Power Gear made is very weak and there is a lot of vibration in that area. If you go to the Yahoo National users group web site there are photos to be seen as to how Gabby Burns and I have made or had made I should say, new style mounts and they seem to work great.
Wish you luck on your new purchase and have fun in your travels.
Darryl
DarrylGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #26

Oh, I should have added "you may want to look at the year date/s" on the tires. They are by no means cheap to replace mine were around 5-6 years old and the front ones had lots of tread left but had bad side wall cracks. Needless to say I had to replace them at $400 apiece. One other thing I did was put on Balance Masters on front and back and boy they make a difference.
Darryl 99 Tradewinds 7370
DarrylGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #27

Thanks D-IGF! I have yet to buy one but I am still looking, I just found a 99 (better than the 98) for around 31K. I really like the updated dash, everything else other than the tailpipe exit seems to be about the same.

The 99 does have the small storage area under the rear bed and the lareger two-door fridge. I was told that unit is about 4k so it's a plus to have. I will look and not just buy the first thing I find, I want to get the best coach for our family as I can.

As far as the heating issues climbing a grade, is there anything that can help?
And when you do climb a grade about how fast are you going?

This is one reason I heard that the DP is much better, my gasser would only do about 35 MPH up a steep grade and I just hated it. I would hope that I could do much better than that. Would a banks diesel exhaust setup make it perform and or keep it cooler?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
RUNDLC...what is the absolute max you are willing to pay? I am asking so we can keep a closer eye out for you- and I am one that believes you may sometimes find a coach that is a much better coach for just a little more money...no matter what your price range is!