Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's another one and I'm sure there are a multitude of possibilities, but I've already read through the documentation and still am stumped.

Got DirecTV hooked up this weekend. That was easy. KingDome rolled right to the satellite and after massaging the input settings for the TV and DVD/VCR combo . . . voila. This is after I took out the DISH receiver the previous owner used.

But, I can't seem to figure out the rubics cube to get TV to the bedroom. The owner's manual talks about a 'video selector' (pg 8-5) I don't have one of those. Any one have the 'Paul Harvey' on why not?

I do have a DVD/VCR combo (Toshiba) that appears to work somewhat like a 'selector'. Can anyone help out this newbie with more seasoned experience?

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's another one and I'm sure there are a multitude of possibilities, but I've already read through the documentation and still am stumped.

Got DirecTV hooked up this weekend. That was easy. KingDome rolled right to the satellite and after massaging the input settings for the TV and DVD/VCR combo . . . voila. This is after I took out the DISH receiver the previous owner used.

But, I can't seem to figure out the rubics cube to get TV to the bedroom. The owner's manual talks about a 'video selector' (pg 8-5) I don't have one of those. Any one have the 'Paul Harvey' on why not?

I do have a DVD/VCR combo (Toshiba) that appears to work somewhat like a 'selector'. Can anyone help out this newbie with more seasoned experience?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #3

I can only tell you have we did it when we had sat. TV. After connecting it up on the outside where there was a place, then the fun came in.

In the front, the line will normally split - one to front TV, one to back. If we wanted to watch a different program, then that requires another receiver for the back TV. The front TV cable directly to the receiver, the back to the back where it will connect to another receiver before going into the TV.

If you want to run off of one receiver, which we usually did cause we took them out of the house, in the front the cable going to the back would be connected to a split so one then went to the front TV, the other the back TV.

Having a newer motorhome yours might be wired differently, but that is how we did it. Just remember - two TV's, two receivers (and more money for Direct).

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #4

The "video selector" is a Video Distribution Switch, mine manufactured by Winegard. It has appearances for both TVs, front and rear, and multiple input/output options for each. Select Front TV to receive a signal from Satelite antenna, cable TV, DVD/VCR, etc. Same for rear TV. Cable on one, VCR on the other. Can be retrofited and installed between your inputs and your outputs. Go to www.winegard.com for more info.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #5

Kernel,
Look back at my website about the front tv. There are a couple of photos that show this video selector unit at the top of the passenger side overhead cabinet. I can't believe that you do not have one of those. If you don't, I would engage in a serious conversation with NRV regarding that issue.
KentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #6

If yours was prewired for King dome satellite like mine, there were two cables in the box on the roof. One goes to the front TV and one cable goes back to the rear bedroom for a separate satellite tuner. Just like Art states.
OR, in my case, my distribution box had a VCR, TV1 and TV2. Only the VCR and TV2 had Satellite input selections. So, I wired my King dome sat 1 into the normal sat input on the distribution box. Swapped the VCR and TV1 output connections so that I could direct the satellite to both TV1(now VCR) and TV2. The TV1 is no longer used in my case. So, until I actually get 2 separate tuners, I am using one tuner to distribute to both TVs as needed. I agree with Ken that if you do not have a distribution box, talk to NRV as you rig should have come with one. I am thinking of upgrading mine anyway. A better one with more inputs an doutputs is only about $50 so that may be a possible upgrade on my end.
I did call NRV customer services and the guy that helped me was VERY helpful and informative. He answered all my questions very clearly.
Good luck.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The fancy distrubution box,although in the papers that came with your rig, is not in the 2006 Dolphins. It is just an A/B/C switch. I got a second direct TV box and wired it into the cable that comes out of the wall in the bedroom, and from the direct box straight into the TV. I don't use the switch box.

2020 - 41' Solitude
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're battin' a thousand so far. I have an extra receiver in the brick and mortar. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #9

I bought a switch box with more ports than my old one and have antenna, satellite, outside cable connection, dvd, vcr and 2 tv's connected through the switch box. Allows me to have any input into each tv independent of each other. also can make videos from source input. they are not expensive but I forgot what I paid for mine. It's been a while.