Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Nightmare #2 gas tank

So I previously posted that we broke the tag axle on our dolphin and we are able to drive short distances to avoid the police and code enforcement. Moving from place to place with the rear end sagging so badly we have bottomed out several times really bad. The gas tank seam started leaking way before any of this took place but we successfully patched it with a fuel tank repair kit from the parts store. But now it is literally pouring out of the tank. We lost 5 gallons in less than 4 hours. We canít afford a repair shop to do it, but thatís pointless without fixing the tag axle first. My question is, is it possible to go down to a scrap yard and take a smaller tank from a ford pickup and swap the 2 out? I understand that we would have to get gas more often and that the space holding the tank is bigger than the replacement one and would require extra support. We donít want that thing wiggling around and busting lose. But is this possible? I said it in the other thread that this is my home and without this Rv we would be living in the riverbed and all my fur babies would have to be taken to the pound. I hope someone can help with some good advice. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my threads. God bless yíall
Redneckgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes all kinda of mods, temp fixes, patch ups are possible, but not necessarily the best idea. Some more info would be helpful. What year and model is the coach, chassis mfgr, and what is your general location? Nearest city likely to have several wrecking yards? Also where is it leaking - bottom, side, fittings, hoses? Got some pics? And last but not least, when you say your tag axle ďbrokeĒ , what are you referring to? Suspension components, mounting positions, the axle itself? Pic here would be helpful too. Iíll look for the other thread and/or you could post a link to it.

Regards and best of luck,
Rich
Old 02-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

I haven't seen your tank, so maybe it's beyond repair, but I'd sure think the trouble and expense of cobbling in a tank that doesn't belong would be far greater than cobbling a fix for your leaky tank.

As mentioned in your other thread. Sounds like time to find some help. Gotta be a church parking lot nearby that you could park and get some help.

And about the tag axle, have you identified what setup you have? Mor-Ryde maybe? something else? Dexter brake parts? Knowing what you have may help in finding parts to repair it.

(If you haven't done it already a search like this one ought to help in identifying what you have.

That very search led me to this thread where user chboone posts about his '99 Dolphin tag setup. He even posted a manual for it. That like yours?)

(On edit - looks like chboone's manual doesn't cover the axle itself. Good news is that MORryde is still in business, and I'd be t they could tell you what axle components they used.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #4

Also, I would say DON'T drive that rig until you get that tank and tag axle fixed. One good spark from the gas tank hitting the pavement and that could end everything!!

Tags
gas, tank