Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
no power from generator to RV

This question is for my brother who has a 34 foot 1999 National Sea View. His Generac 5500 generator was working fine yesterday but now it's not providing power to his RV when he's not on shore power. What should he check? Does anyone know if that unit has a transfer switch that allows power to the RV from the generator? Any suggestions of what to check would be appreciated. Thank you.

Phyllis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #2

Isn't that Generac 5500 a 'Portable' gen?

Check the Circuit Breakers on the Generator
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #3

There would be an outlet in the power cable bay for the shore power cord to plug into,if the RV hasn’t got an ATS.

Has he checked the circuit breaker on the genset?

Edit: I see Old-Biscuit, was posting while I was typing.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #4

The plugin box in the electric cable bay is generator output, Plug your shore power cable in there.
There is no electrical transfer box/switch .
Old 07-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Isn't that Generac 5500 a 'Portable' gen?

Check the Circuit Breakers on the Generator
It may be now but in the turn of the century they were RV generators, I had one.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:58 PM   #6

Yesterday it worked and today it doesn't.

You guys think he forgot to plug it in ?

The Generac has 2 breakers, mine had one 30 amp and one 20 amp breaker.

They are also belt driven but shouldn't run if not producing power.

He needs to start at the generator wiring to see ifts making 120 volts, then to the juntion box or outlet to see if the wiring is good.

If its not a plugin design, next step is to check the ATS.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:08 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
My old coach ( 1995 National Seabreaze 131) had that generator. Make sure the rv cord is plugged into the gunny plug,that the breakers on the generator are not tripped. If still no power then either the exciter let go or the belt let go. No easy way to check if it is the belt. To change the belt you have to remove the genny from the coach. It is not hard to do. I had to replace the belt on mine. If he is the original owner of the coach the belt is warranted for life if not it was around 60 from generac.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Also when the belt let's go it just desinigrates.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the input. Sorry, I guess he already knew he didn't have a transfer switch and yes it is plugged into the RV receptacle. He also checked the generator breakers and RV breakers and all were okay. Apparently it seems to be temperamental in hot weather and stops putting out power and he doesn't know why. It has happened before and then starts working again without any rhyme or reason. It did it again this time. He was checking all his fluids in the RV last night and had to add a little oil to the generator. When he started it back up it was putting out power fine. I know generators are sensitive to oil levels and will shut off if a little low but as long as it's running it shouldn't affect it putting out power. We leave on our trip tomorrow and hope it doesn't stop putting out power again.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey, the generac in my Dolphin is tempermental like that. The exciter circuit doesn't like to function some times. For me, it's a matter of holding the start switch a second after the generator starts. The way it was explained to me, this ensures voltage is applied to the exciter circuit so the generator produces an output. Maybe not spot on from a technical aspect, but it works so I do it. Also, my generac doesn't like the hot days (when you really want to run both air conditioners banghead. But there really aren't any good options for replacing it and finding someone to work on them is like searching for gold in the storm drain around here so we plan accordingly.

Only other course of action I've been able to develop is to reconfigure that bay for an Onan 4500 and run soft starts on the air conditioners. That's all the bigger of Onan that will fit in the same space I have for my generac 5500. But it hasn't been important enough to warrant the time and expense it would take to impliment that plan yet.

Best of luck to y'all.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe2 View Post
Thanks for all the input. Sorry, I guess he already knew he didn't have a transfer switch and yes it is plugged into the RV receptacle. He also checked the generator breakers and RV breakers and all were okay. Apparently it seems to be temperamental in hot weather and stops putting out power and he doesn't know why. It has happened before and then starts working again without any rhyme or reason. It did it again this time. He was checking all his fluids in the RV last night and had to add a little oil to the generator. When he started it back up it was putting out power fine. I know generators are sensitive to oil levels and will shut off if a little low but as long as it's running it shouldn't affect it putting out power. We leave on our trip tomorrow and hope it doesn't stop putting out power again.
I bought a 1999 Tropical new in December of99. It has same 5500 Generac. Mine would run but it would not “load up”. It would take a load for 15 seconds and then would “unload”. Had no idea what was causing it. I tried all the things mentioned, none worked. Replaced the voltage regulator and walla,it now handles everything I put on it. Both ac’s , microwave, and water heater all at same time . $200 bucks and works like new.
bwburleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:34 AM   #12

Most likely the breakers on the gen set itself. I pop mine all the time. Make sure the switch by the door is on too.
Ridge Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
So far so good. We're in cooler climate and his generator is running fine. Hope it continues when we return to hotter climate. Thanks for all your input. I have passed the info onto him.

Tags
generator, no power, power