Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #1

No power to radio

I have 2005 National Dolphin and there is no power to the radio, checked the fuses and all are good. Took the radio off to test it and see if it powers up and it did. Tested both wires red and yellow with multimeter get 13.7v from red wire (Ignition) but from the yellow wire (battery) I get 0.04v. I traced both wires and the red connects to the radio switch but the yellow wire goes nowhere and it ends in a odd looking connector. Does anyone have an idea where the yellow wire should connect to? TIA.
Click image for larger version

Name:	conector.png
Views:	21
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	369605

Name:	connector2.png
Views:	25
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	369606
Mgalvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 06:52 AM   #2

I see a yellow female spade connector on twin white wires with black trace. The spade connector looks as though it could use a squeeze with pliers so that it grips the male more firmly. Seems you have a loose or bad ground.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I see a yellow female spade connector on twin white wires with black trace. The spade connector looks as though it could use a squeeze with pliers so that it grips the male more firmly. Seems you have a loose or bad ground.
The image below shows the connector I am referring to. As you can see the yellow battery wire stops there

Name:	connector1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	369643
Old 06-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #4

The odd looking connector is a splice. Does the pink wire go into it? Does the pink wire have batt voltage?

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #5

At the splice I get -0.03 reading. The pink wire goes to the AUX switch front of the dash and from there somewhere under the dash I will need to keep on tracing to see where it ends.

Name:	pink wire 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	369680
Old 07-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #6

Panel Switch?

My 2001 Tropical has a switch on the dash that powers the radio. Is there a switch on your panel?
wmtorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:54 AM   #7

check both the pink and yellow wire with the ignitoon off and then the ignition on. you may find they get power only when the ignition is on. then also try the Aux switch in different positions to see if that makes s difference.

do you have a "Radio/TV" switch on your dash as well? this may also affect the power to this wire.

i replaced the radio in my 2003 Dolphin a couple of months ago. I found that the red wire had power all the time, but the yellow wire was switched with the ignition. my red wire was cut for some reason, but the radio was bad too.
fitzjohnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtorp View Post
My 2001 Tropical has a switch on the dash that powers the radio. Is there a switch on your panel?
wmtorp: Yes the switch is there and makes no difference when I turn it on.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #9

Is there power going THROUGH the switch when it is turned on?
Old 07-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #10

Pelledan / fitzjohnfan,

The only switch on the dash is the radio switch.

I don't believe the AUX switch is getting power.

I traced the pink wire past the AUX switch to the connector and tested it for voltage and still get the same result 0.02m I did notice that the radio is getting little power but, it only displays the time and the screen light which I believe is coming from the Ignition wire but as soon as I flip the AUX switch to on the it shuts off.. 8 2 0
TW 600 VOLTS VW-A
Old 07-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #11

Correction,

I tested the fuse while pluged in the fuse box and I get 12.15v I also retested the connection at the AUX switch and at the wire connector past the AUX switch with a good ground source and I get 5.68v from both connections.

Sorry for the incorrect test results from earlier.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #12

When you say you tested power PAST the AUX switch, you get little voltage. What power do you get when it enters the switch? Your setup sounds similar to mine in that we both have radio and AUX power switches. If indeed yours is like mine, the manufacturer of the switches is Carling. I have had issues with a few of mine and have replaced them as needed. Both of your switches are piloted single pole single throw. In other words they each are one input and one output. Basically just an On/Off switch. With both switches in the ON position and with your house batteries also on, you should get 12 volts +/- at the inlet side of each switch, and again at the outlet. Check each one independently. The AUX power switch must be on for the radio switch to be powered.
Dan
Old 07-09-2022, 08:20 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtorp View Post
My 2003 Dolphin has a dash switch for the radio as well.
ChaplainEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
When you say you tested power PAST the AUX switch, you get little voltage. What power do you get when it enters the switch? Your setup sounds similar to mine in that we both have radio and AUX power switches. If indeed yours is like mine, the manufacturer of the switches is Carling. I have had issues with a few of mine and have replaced them as needed. Both of your switches are piloted single pole single throw. In other words they each are one input and one output. Basically just an On/Off switch. With both switches in the ON position and with your house batteries also on, you should get 12 volts +/- at the inlet side of each switch, and again at the outlet. Check each one independently. The AUX power switch must be on for the radio switch to be powered.
Dan
I did two tests one with the AUX switch on and the second test with the AUX switch off. When the switch is off I get 5.72v and when I turn it on it drops down to 1.82

The pics below show the results. I don't have a wiring diagram but I would imagine the if I was to trace the pink wire all the way I would end up at the fuse panel but I could be wrong as I don't have experience on this.

The picture below is coming from under the dash which is the one I assume is coming from the fuse box but I don't know if this is true. And when I test the voltage in this connection I get the 5.82v when the AUX switch is off and 1.82 when the switch is on.

Name:	AUX 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	370604

The picture below shows the pink wire coming from the connection on the picture above at 5.82v when switch is off and going to the radio at 5.82v when the switch is off, again when the switch is on it drops down to 1.82v I did this test with the radio switch always on and the ignition on.

Name:	AUX 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	370603

Tags
no power, power, radio