Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #1

no spare tire mounting bracket

we just purchased a 2004 seabreeze and there is no spare tire and no mounting bracket on the rear of the rv. have any of you mounted a bracket to carry a spare tire or are you just carrying a tire without a rim in the staorage basement? if you mounted a bracket did you have any problems in finding proper support to mount the bracket.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Support for Tire

The back cap is cast fiberglass and is only attached on the top and sides. NO frame members. I would not even mount a spare tire for a motorcycle on it!!

Unless you have a very very unusual Sea Breeze, there is no place in any compartment that you can carry a tire.

If you really find it necessary, then have a roof mount designed. Tire would have to be covered real well, so not damaged by sun. Realize the roof on the Sea Breeze is very very thin, and it would be a challenge to find proper mounting points where you could install tie downs to hold the tire. I put on a solar panel, and everything is so very thin.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you feel that you need to carry a spare your best bet is to carry an unmounted tire.
Unless you have a big jack, impact wrench and an abundance of strength you will need road service. I had 19 inch wheels on a 01 surfside with a spare and took it off the carrier by the propane tank, no problem now putting it back on and up was another story. I now have 22.5 inch wheels on this 07 seabreeze and will just call road service if need be.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trust me---Call Road Service.

There is no space to carry a mounted spare. Even an unmounted spare will take up a lot of room.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

I carried a mounted spare on our three year Alaska trip. It was in the rear compartment when we bought the MH. Never had to use it. Now that we are back in Texas I plan on taking the spare out and using the space to store the satellite dish.

2000 Sea Breeze 1341
1998 CRV
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #6

My 2000 Sea View 8341 has a rack for carrying a spare but as I would have to call for roadside assist anyway that rack holds our portable firepit. (Also much, much lighter than a mounted spare.)
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the thing has 22.5" tires (or larger) they suggest you not carry a spare and not try to change it.. However

There are several (Well at least 2) companies that make spare tire carriers that go into the hitch receiver.. If it's a gasser, with the standard 500/5000 pound hitch,, DO NOT DO THIS as a spare tire, rim and the bracket to hold it may well top that 500 pound cary limit leaving you nothing for your towed.. but if it's a DP with a 1000/10,000 hitch.. Should work.. There are a couple of different versions.. One has a whinch to lift the tire up for you.

Go to google and enter: spare tire hitch
Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #8

When we got our Tradewinds there was a spare in the passthru compartment.One edge of the tire sits on the edge of the passthru and was held up against the ceiling with a screw jack.I installed an eye bolt thru the floor under the sink cabinet.I use a ratchet tiedown strap to lift the tire against the ceiling.The pressure of the jack was causing the compartment floor to sag.So I have a seven year old tire that has never touched pavement.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I have a 2004 Sea breeze and tow a malibu sedan behind, the motor home spare 19.5 fits in the car trunk. I have road service(coach-net) but didn't want someone bringing me out any ole tire at an inflated price.
pappaono is offline   Reply With Quote