Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Normal for chassis battery to drain?

Our 2007 Sea Breeze sat for just under 2 months, and when I went to start it the chassis battery was dead. Using battery boost didn’t help. Does the chassis battery have a drain on it? I didn’t have the disconnect switched on either. We thought we were going to use it, but things kept coming up. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have a dash stereo with memory presets and a clock? An engine or transmission computer? They all use small amounts of battery power to maintain them, even when off. Modern vehicles can also have key fobs or remote unlocks and any number of things that can drain a battery over time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

Yes the discharge is normal. Just helped a friend diagnose his 2006 Tropical chassis battery discharge issue. Found a bad circuit breaker (BUSS CB185-150). His fresh chassis batteries discharge in a few days if the circuit breakers are closed or inop.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #4

Jumping a completely dead battery usually won't work. Put a charger on it then have the battery load tested. Install house battery disconnect. But I'm willing to bet you have one. Think about what you would have to do if you were boondocking and the house ran the chassis battery dead!!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

Thank you all. Yes, it does have House battery disconnect. The chassis battery is on a trickle charger now. I’ll re-install in the next couple days, and check if any thing got left on, or whatnot.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
You might consider a disconnect.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2UR4XXXPK485Z

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same with my Pacifica. We took one wire at a time off the batteries and found a few small draws. But together, they were killing the batteries. My “ smart” charger brings them to about 12.3 volts and goes into trickle mode. I had to jump with my car to start them. Idle for 20 minutes and then they will start each day. After this trip, I will install a battery tender for when parked. Then start every 2 or3 days to keep charged.
Joepacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

I wish I could keep a battery tender on it, but where it’s stored I don’t have easy power access. I did install a battery disconnect to the chassis battery.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will use the battery tender for when I am connected to shore. At home, I have the same situation. no power at the storage facility. I will remove the two chassis batteries and bring them home. I have another battery tender for this. It will pay for the battery tender with good life for these batteries.
Joepacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #10

I disconnect the negative battery cable if I plan to leave a vehicle unused for a month. Even the new battery's in Walmart will lose voltage in 2 months. A couple of culprits that draw micro voltage or Parasitic loads from a battery. Dirty battery and or cable will allow a slow draw on a battery. Put a volt meter on the dirt on top of your battery...and it will read voltage. The inobvious load on your battery is the Hydro carbon sensor inside your trailer...it runs 24/7...unless the battery ground is removed. I will suggest you clean all batterys...terminals...then slow charge your batterys over night.. Take a voltage reading on both batterys, write it down...probably 12.5 to 12.8 volts. Then disconnect the negative battery....and come back in about 2 days and check your voltage again. Should be pretty close in 48 hours. Write it down. Then hook up your Negative cable...and wait 48 hours???? Measure the voltage again. will surely lower quite a bit...as now..your Carbon monoxide alarm is running...your clocks on stoves...ovens..TV memory...microwave clock...and radio memory...all are drawing small amounts of voltage.... If you have to chase where the voltage is going....take out one fuse at a time....until the voltage drop....stablizes. Good luck! Chasing the SPARKY GHOST...can be both a challenge and a learning experience in Electricity. DC voltage will no shock you...by the way. Just never touch a HOT POSITIVE LEAD to the ground, as that may shoot a few sparks...or blow a fuse quickly.
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis