Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Question Onan 5500 Generator exhaust routing

I have a 2016 BayStar 3124. The generator is located on the awning side of the motorhome. The exhaust comes straight out under the bedroom slide. So if your sitting under your awning with the generator running, it gets a bit noisy.

Has anyone had the exhaust routed toward the back of the motorhome. My concern would be having a 90* bend coming out of the generator which might cause increase in back pressure.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think if the exhaust pipe was of correct diameter, extending it out the back wouldn't be an issue. How long a pipe would it have to be?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

X2, I'd agree with the above post. I'd explore rather than extending the existing tubing, rerouting from the generator flange to the rear. Depending on the location, I don't see it in a picture. Flip to the drives side? Wondering about the manufacturers placement choice?

Good luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

On my National the gen is up front driver's side but the exhaust follows the engine exhaust to exit by rear wheels, and works fine. I'd guess it's a good 10' long. I can't imagine why you couldn't run the gen exhaust out to the rear "car style" as long as you can run the pipe over the axle and clear stuff, etc.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #5

Wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this? On my Bay Star 3113, the generator exhaust it almost right under the bedroom slide (on the passenger side). So it's towards the back 1/4 of the MH but I'm not crazy about it exiting right under the slide.

I plan on boondocking a lot this summer and I know I'll need to run the genset. Anyone make an extension and run it to exit to the rear of the MH?
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
The other possibility is vent it straight up, with a store bought or homemade Gen-turi.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The other possibility is vent it straight up, with a store bought or homemade Gen-turi.
I have a genturi but there doesn't seem to be room for it because of the slide.
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

While planning to buy a GenTuri, I realized the exhaust pipe from under my generator needed to be re-routed so the vertical GenTuri pipe would clear a cargo door. We dry camp at a sports car event with 1300 entries, and lots of motorhomes, so I wandered around to see how different manufacturers routed generator exhausts. I saw every variation one could imagine including 90 degree bends and a very long pipe running from a front mounted generator to the back of a motorhome.

For my situation, I changed the angle exiting from the generator to the side of the MH, added 2 ft. in length, and everything works properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
X2, I'd agree with the above post. I'd explore rather than extending the existing tubing, rerouting from the generator flange to the rear. Depending on the location, I don't see it in a picture. Flip to the drives side? Wondering about the manufacturers placement choice?

Good luck.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan