Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Onan Generator in 2000 National Tradewinds

Before I read the instructions and learn for myself, something so simple I should be able to figure out the old fashion way by trial and error. Simply pushing the start button to start our 7500 Onan generator seems all that is reqd. However the manual makes reference to having the LP gas valve open. What is the connection. Ours appears to operate on diesel fuel. Is there a need to have this valve open or am I stupid or what. It says to have all of the circuit breakers off prior to starting. Surely all of these precautions are not "totally" necessary. Can I assume that I'm ok to start this unit with the only requirement being that I am not plugged into an electrical supply line be that 30 or 50 amps. Too lazy to read the instructions. Hoping to learn the basics from someone who has been there, done that. Thank you for your help. Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For your year and model coach, LP generator was standard. Your Onan diesel was listed as a option.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Thank you. That explains it. Is there any other secrets other than push and hold button to start with respect to circuit breakers and fuses? Will start reading the manual shortly. Thanks again. Keith
Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the diesel Onan in our 01. I just push the start button and hold it in as it will need to warm the glow plugs. After a few seconds the starter whirs and she starts up. Let it idle for a few minutes before you throw a load on it. I do not shut off any breakers before I start mine. Just make sure that it has been serviced recently, if you don't have the service records, I recomend having it done before you start it up.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #5

I don't think there is a need to turn off or disconnect the 30/50 amp power either.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, national, onan