Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #1

Overhead TV replacement.....

Good morning everyone!!!....well, my old overhead gave out this past weekend so I will be undertaking the task of getting the "RCA Beast" out of there soon.....I have looked at several excellent posts on how to remove the existing overhead TV in the National line (FYI - I have a 2004 Sea Breeze - 1341) and replace it with a true flat screen TV so I think that part of my quest is pretty well covered here....but...............

I have 2 questions about the replacement TV itself....since some posts are months old, some of the flat panel TV's mentioned that were used aren't available any more and have been replaced by newer models...while the determining factor in purchasing the new TV will probably be size more than anything, 2 other points come to mind when selecting the TV for me.....TV type which would be LCD or LED, and speaker orientation which would be bottom or front facing....I know LED's are thinner and pricier than LCD, but not sure if that thinner is a big thing to consider when there is plenty of room for either up there....width and height are more important I believe.....also, I have no surround sound system that works with my satellite system/standard over air antenna and will be relying on the speakers on the TV itself for most viewing....I really like the built in look some of you were able to achieve with the reused cabinet parts and seems like if the TV is in there with speakers on the bottom, the sound would be muffled at best...since most posts only show installation and one completed front view, I can't see the speaker location of some or if it's blocked by anything at the bottom....I did see where one post cut some rectangles at the bottom of the cabinet for that reason but I'm not sold on that idea just yet....

So, any recommendations, suggestions, helpful hints or words of encouragement are welcomed....if I can get enough information to make it look half as good as some of yours, I'll be one “Happy Camper!!.......
-LB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I put in a 32" Samsung LED. I also added a Polk Audio sound bar with a remote Sub-woofer. Nice combination and a really easy install as opposed to full surround sound installed throughout the coach. This is a before of a similar coach and mine after completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	253
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	21384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120331-00032.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	21385  

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MY sound is OK but I want to add a sound bar---you are thinking right about planning on it now before you make your install.

You are also correct about the type of TV up there; a world of choices. Just discuss the difference with the sales person, some are better in brighter lighting others in dim light, Can't remember which.

I just measured the maximum size I could get in the space, designed my cabinnetry to accomodate the size then went shopping. One thing in great supply for a good price is a TV.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to look at Vizio TVs. I'm sure you'll be installing a 32" TV and many of the Vizio models have front facing speakers. That is why I chose the Vizio. Here's the link to my upgrade. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/lcd-...-x-117797.html While my model is not available anymore I have seen 32" Vizios at Costco recently that have smaller outside dimensions. You won't have to build a wood frame because you already have one. I would also select an LED-LCD if I were you.
Good luck on your upgrade.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
An HD set that fits across the width is going to be much shorter than the RCA it replaces, so the speaker bar is an attractive idea to me, though I would probably just build my own.

Most fabric stores sell speaker grill cloth. Build a frame that finishes the opening, hang some speakers onto it, wrap the frame with speaker cloth and mount above or below the new HD tv. The only part that will show will be the speaker cloth, so the frame can be pretty crude and it will still look terrific.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We have done three so far. Two in 1999 Tradewinds and one in a 1998 Tropical. They all heve the built in look but to get that you need to sacrifice size. 23" is about as big as you can go.
Here are pictures of the last one we did. I made the frame here in Albuquerque and shipped it to Washington State for the Coach install and addition of a Vizio E220VA TV. This TV has front throwing speakers and is called a 23" but it's closer to a 22". It's working out well for Art and JoAnn.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%213493

Last year we were visited by the Jointers and installed a Samsung 22", it didn't have front throwing speakers so we had to add a AMP and speakers to hookup with the earphone output. Sorry no pictures but it looks a lot like JoAnn's.

I have a Viewsonic but again had to add a AMP and speakers for audio.

Here are some pictures of a Samsung and a Westinghouse install in a 99 Tradewinds.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...1746&sc=photos

The DVD Player up front was another project attached to the underside of the overhead cabinets.

You'll also find some details on making a frame in a sub directory.

Dick
Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

I seen a lot of over- sized RVs put in but the finish never looked quite complete. I decided to go with a tv that would fit in the orginal cabinet.

Keeps that factory finish look....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-805221495.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	21395   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2496977044.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	21396  

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got tired of looking UP at my TV so when I replaced mine I made brackets that let me slide the tv down. It's mounted on the door I made to cover the opening the TV sat in that is now used for storage. I can watch TV looking up or remove 2 pins and lower the TV 15". I could only go to a 24" TV so I could still open the cabinet doors on each side of the TV.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

As always, thanks for the advice....lot of good ideas but I'm sort of confused about something....I agree with kennersonf in that the TV size I am looking for would be about a 32"...I'm not sure where Theberrys are coming from with the 23" being the biggest I can put...can you elaborate on that....Online_17 looks like what I'd like to do and I think a 32" would be pefect....kennersf, can you elaborate on why you say that and Online can you tell me what size TV that is, make and model please?...
We were talkign at work and just so happens there is one there so I measured it...it's a Vizio 32" and it will fit in the space of the old RCA and almost perfectly fill in the hole in the front facia with no gaps...today when I got home from work I removed the front facia and will bring it to work and try to slip it over the TV to check for fit...if it fits like I think and that TV is still available to buy, this will be a relatively easy install...once the old RCA is out and the hole cleaned up, I can make a frame to span between the two existing cabinets and attach a wall mount for the TV and mount it exactly where the front of the existing RCA TV is...once that's done, it'll just be a matter of reattaching the front facia and it'll be done....unless I am totalling missing something....
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LB-
As always, thanks for the advice....lot of good ideas but I'm sort of confused about something....I agree with kennersonf in that the TV size I am looking for would be about a 32"...I'm not sure where Theberrys are coming from with the 23" being the biggest I can put...can you elaborate on that....Online_17 looks like what I'd like to do and I think a 32" would be pefect....kennersf, can you elaborate on why you say that and Online can you tell me what size TV that is, make and model please?...
We were talkign at work and just so happens there is one there so I measured it...it's a Vizio 32" and it will fit in the space of the old RCA and almost perfectly fill in the hole in the front facia with no gaps...today when I got home from work I removed the front facia and will bring it to work and try to slip it over the TV to check for fit...if it fits like I think and that TV is still available to buy, this will be a relatively easy install...once the old RCA is out and the hole cleaned up, I can make a frame to span between the two existing cabinets and attach a wall mount for the TV and mount it exactly where the front of the existing RCA TV is...once that's done, it'll just be a matter of reattaching the front facia and it'll be done....unless I am totalling missing something....
I have a 2004 seabreeze, and i just replaced mine with a 32' vizio razor, took the old steel cage completely out, it was as heavy as the tv I took out. The great thing about the vizio razor is it's very light, easier to retro fit. I'm not mechanically inclined but it came out beautiful! Factory looking. Added a sound bar with wireless subwoofer. Awesome picture and sound took pics will see if I can find them on my iPhone.
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went with an LED unit up front and a LCD unit in back as I wanted the thinner unit up front so I didn't ahve to cut the cabinets up and I already had the LCD unit in the house. I really don't notice any difference in quality. They're both Samsungs, we have four more Samsungs in the stick house, one is the computer monitor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
LB
I can only speak from the three I've done. Two 1999 Tradewinds and one 1998 Tropical. That's the biggest we could fit in the hole with a frame to mount it. The Viewsonic was slightly bigger than 23" but the side rails ended up to be 3/8" and I had to cut away some of the existing cabinet frame. As you can see the side rails are very slim. I ended up with heartwood for these two pieces so it stands out a bit.
Here is a picture of that install.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4147.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	21413  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #13

Sorry, mine is a 24 inch which is plenty big and just the right size to fit in the factory cabinet. Just built a fake wall and mounted. Added black plastic wood to the frame to accomadte the new size screen. If I had the room, I would have used a 32 inch.

Went with a LED 1080i . Way thinner, less weight, better picture and uses a third of the electricity.

Hope that helps
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #14

OK Berry, I think I understand now....it was jus the fact that the space between those cabinets is far less than what I have so that's the biggest you could fit in there because for that reason, not just to make it a built in look.....gotta say though, all of them you have done do look nice and are pretty much what I'm attempting with mine....fingers crossed I can get there…

Grandpadave, I'd love to see the pictures of what you did being as we have the same coach...also like to know when you did the replacement (round about) and where you purchased the TV from….that may help me find one the right size…

Also, I brought the front facia frame to work with me as I mentioned I would to check it with the TV here and the Vizio here is about an inch too wide….it is an older model Vizio (maybe 2+ years) so maybe the newer 32” is a bit narrower…guess I’ll just have to take my tape measure out and try to find one that fits…..thanks to all and more to come….

Tags
replacement