Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

Plug/Bung for Water Tank

The water tank (under the bed) has a fitting which appears to be an opening through which one could fill the tank, or pour disinfectant into tank.

I was able to find a "bung" (threaded plug) that fits - it is an ABS 2" nominal diameter plug (used by plumbers).

Problem: It appears that NRV glued the fitting onto the tank, but never cut out the hole. Has anyone cut out the plastic and how was it done?

I don't want to use anything (like a hole saw) that will make bits of plastic that would fall to the bottom of the tank and damage the pump.

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glen,
It's a universal tank, most likely made off site. If you want to cut it out, I would suggest using something like a soldering iron (hot knife) and melt around the inside to avoid stuff falling into the tank. Melt a hole it the middle first to attach a string, cloths hanger or something so the plug doesn't fall in.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Just a question. Why would you want to fill the tank from inside the motor home? I take out the overflow tube and put a funnel in that hole when I need to pour disinfectant into the tank.

Jim Anderson
1997 Tropical
Jeep Liberty
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #4

Cutting out the plastic was easy with a utility knife. I screwed a large wood screw into the middle of plastic so it wouldn't fall into the tank.

Using a small glass measuring cup into which I diluted the Javex, it was easy to pour it into the 1 3/4" diameter hole without a funnel or hose.

Glenn
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
INCA PLASTICS manufactured tanks for National RV form day one to the day they closed. lnk below

http://www.incaplastics.com/page15.html
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

how often and under want circumstances do you need to disinfect the tank? I fill my tank before I leave with municipal water which has chlorine in it. I drain the tank after use. Then prior to filling I let water run through the tank to make sure any old water is flushed out. Am I doing something wrong?
Pete
petegemelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegemelli View Post
how often and under want circumstances do you need to disinfect the tank? I fill my tank before I leave with municipal water which has chlorine in it. I drain the tank after use. Then prior to filling I let water run through the tank to make sure any old water is flushed out. Am I doing something wrong?
Pete
Pete:

Actually one of the reasons I wanted easy access is that sometimes we're at primitive campgrounds that only have a post with a water tap, or even just a pump on a sandpoint well.

With one of those collapsible plastic water bags, I can add five gallons at a time to the tank and keep my wife happy with "running" water. I'm the guy running for the water.

Glenn

Tags
tank, water