Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Poli Glow and basement doors Question

I have a 2000 34’ Seabreeze that has been garaged for most of it’s life. The gellcoat on the sides is almost perfect and responds well to regular wax. However the front cap is hard to keep a shine on, and I decided to use Poli Glow on it.

I called Poli Glow yesterday to order their ‘kit’ and asked them where I should use it. They told me to only use it on Fiberglass and not to use it on anything plastic. They said that Poli Glow will peel off of anything plastic. I know that the front and rear ‘Caps’ are fiberglass but I also wanted to try it on the basement doors and possibly the bumpers.

Does anyone know what the basement doors and bumpers are made of?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

Hi Gerryl,

I used Poly Glow on my 1995 Dolphin. At first I used it only on the basement doors. Then as the unit grew older I used it on the Gel coat as well. I could not believe how well it worked. It took the faded dull grey doors and made them look brand new with a very deep shine.

I had no problems with it pealing off as long as put the recommended maintenance coat on every year. If you keep your unit covered you may be able to go longer. The one time I didn't do a maintenance coat I ended up having to strip off the original coat of Poly Glow and start over. No harm just a lot of work. I even applied it to the vinyl striping and it made it look better and also protected it from additional fading.

Take your time and follow the instructions. It is not hard at all to do. After stripping you will start applying the final finish. You will not see much (if any) improvement until you get to the 4 coat, then the 5th and 6th coats will blow your mind.

Good luck, let us know how well it turns out.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Bill, I am anxious to give the Poli Glow a try. I have spent $$$ on all different kinds of wax and although it looks nice for a short time, it soon fades and there I am doing it again. The front cap and the basement doors lose their shine the quickest. I am glad to hear that you had success with the basement doors, as I was hoping to use it there also.

Don't have a lot of time this fall to do this as I am having a pole barn built to store the MH in, but will probably try it on one of the basement doors. Will post back with results.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

I have used Poliglow on the front & rear caps and liked it ok except for the fact that it yellowed both caps slightly. Not much but noticeable to me. Eventually I got rid of it and returned to wax. Good luck with yours
Chuck
Chuck47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Chuck,
Glad to hear that Poli Glow will yellow a little, as my caps are a shade whiter than the sides.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Poly Glow

I've done my whole rig last year and it still shines. Will give it the 2 coats this year. I like it. !999 Tropical very faded.
BGusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Considering Poly Glow but worry some about the use of Poly Prep. My understanding is that I will use Poly Prep and then rinse thoroughly before applying Poly Glow. I have replaced my front bra with a black Line-X coating which I love. The Line-X has a premium coating to prevent or reduce fading from UV rays. So my question.....can I safely use the Poly Prep on the front cap and sides, near the Line-X, without fear of damaging the Line-X. Assuming a thorough rinse?
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
In my original post I promised to post the results of my Poli Glow experience. Several weeks ago I did both the front and rear caps. I am thrilled with the results. It looks like brand new gel coat. I am very anal about the outside finish and have been waxing twice a season but have never achieved that “deep, like new” brilliance with any wax. We have received many compliments on the looks and shine of our 15 year old motor home, but ‘I’ was never totally happy with the shine. I guess that’s just me.

It took a little more time than it normally took me to do it with regular cleaners and waxes but with the Poli Glow, I don't think I will have to do it as much to keep that brilliant deep shine that I just couldn't achieve with the other waxes. We are so happy with the results we got on the caps, that I am going to do the entire MH as soon as weather permits in the spring

Originally, I ordered the Poli Glow Kit. It comes with a mitt to put the finish on and that worked great for the caps. I since ordered and just received their 7” applicator because you can put it on a pole to do the sides where they are mostly flat. If the sides come out as good as the caps, I will be ‘one happy camper’.

If you decide to use Poli Glow, read, re-read and follow the instructions carefully. The hardest part is to get it super clean of any waxes or dirt streaks. This is the part that takes time and elbow grease (actually I have an old Black and Decker Scumbuster that made it much easier).

The fun part comes when you apply the finish. Makes you just want to ‘stand back and admire’.
You can see examples on their site.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/
Old 01-03-2016, 04:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
Considering Poly Glow but worry some about the use of Poly Prep. My understanding is that I will use Poly Prep and then rinse thoroughly before applying Poly Glow. I have replaced my front bra with a black Line-X coating which I love. The Line-X has a premium coating to prevent or reduce fading from UV rays. So my question.....can I safely use the Poly Prep on the front cap and sides, near the Line-X, without fear of damaging the Line-X. Assuming a thorough rinse?
I'd love to see a picture of your Line-X coating.

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 3 years, my Poly Glow shine is still shinning
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #11

Phone the people at Poly Glow and ask them. I'm sure they will be able to answer your concerns.
BGusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Well, I just finished putting the Poli Glow on the sides and basement doors. Took me all day Saturday to do the Poli Prep. They say the secret of Poli Glow is in the preparation and I agree with that. Both the front and back caps were done last fall.

Took me most of the day Sunday to apply the 5 coats of Poly Glow but boy am I happy with the results. Looks like it has new gel coat. For the last 3 years I have been waxing it at least twice a year and was never totally satisfied with the results , Just wish I had learned about Poli Glow back then.

Thank You to the makers of Poli Glow for a great system.

Tags
door