Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Question Power Gear Leveler CONTROL BOX location

Hi All, New here & I have a 1998 Tradewinds with hydraulic jacks. I need to locate the "control box" for this system on the coach, but I can't find it! The jacks won't lower, though they worked fine last week. Everything I've read tells me to check the control box. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
canvoraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, check the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir. If it's low, the jacks will not work. The reservoir and pump are in the 2nd bay, driver's side from the rear. Cap on top of the reservoir has a dip stick attached. Fluid is Dexron III. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

Hi Rook,

We've already ruled out what you've suggested, but no luck. The main power feed cable from the battery bank to the relay on the levelers' motor seems to have a fault, & all instructions tell us to check the "control box" located between the two, but can't be found. Is there way to access it, if you know where it is? Previous owners did some odd things and we don't have detailed schematics. Any control boxes anywhere that you know of? Thanks for your time. Dave
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, I know of no "control Box" for the jacks other than the one that makes up the control panel to the left of the driver's seat. However, there is a 12VDC distribution circuit board, 1st bay from the rear, passenger side, behind the Inverter, on the back wall. this is what provides a direct feed of 12VDC to the jack motor. The big terminal lower right side, feeds 12VDC to the jack motor .....and the Genny starter. Do you have power to the Genny starter? If no, then check to see if the 150 amp circuit breaker on the back-side of the circuit board, lower right, is tripped.....little lever hanging down from the bottom of the circuit breaker. Here is a wiring diagram. Rook

12v,120v power system all models.pdf

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Look for the control box and the hydraulic fluid level in the compartment just in front of the passenger's drivers.

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvoraz View Post
Hi All, New here & I have a 1998 Tradewinds with hydraulic jacks. I need to locate the "control box" for this system on the coach, but I can't find it!:confused: The jacks won't lower, though they worked fine last week. Everything I've read tells me to check the control box. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Just a thought from another newbee: I had a similar issue where my jacks wouldn't lower. First, I forgot to push the "on" button to turn them on. Still, they wouldn't work.
I found out that mine don't lower unless the ignition key is in the "run" position. The dash buzzing drives me crazy while I'm leveling the coach, but it seems that I need to endure the noise. Maybe I'M doing something wrong??

I'll follow your post to benefit from the collective wisdom of the forum. It's wonderful.

Dale
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On power gear there are 3 components not counting the jacks themselves

Keypad, this is the primary control system

Sensor box (This is where the level is) I have yet to find mine

Pump assembly. Power to this comes from the Intelletec Battery control box on mine or direct from the battery not sure which. but it is a big cable.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

A HUGE public thanks to Rook!!! I assume you received my seperate post. To Dale (mrk), I just run the engine instead of listening to the buzzing noise during the leveling process. Melvin The Dog gets a bad case of "Stink Eye" (directed at me) from that & the low-air alarm...go figure. Thanks again to all. If I can ever retain anything of value, I hope to be able to pass it along where needed. Dave
Old 03-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Just a note on this old thread.
My Control Box is mounted updside down on the ceiling of a storage compartment, just as the PowerGear instruction manual dictated.

I spend time crawling underneath, looking for the box, with no avail. Finally found and read the installation manual.
kg7il is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, power, power gear