Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Power Gear Leveler not working

I have a 2006 Seabreeze and on my last trip out the levelers would not go down. When I press the power on button at the control panel, it lights up. When I press the front levelers down button I hear a click which sounds like it's coming from the pump or solenoid. I haven't checked whether I'm actually getting power to the pump or solenoid yet. The question I have, if I have to replace one or both the solenoid and or pump, is there a way to remove them without taking out the whole unit; solenoid, pump, manifold, and fluid tank? It looks like a really tight squeeze as the unit is right up next to the grill. I'm hoping someone has done this job and may have some pictures or video.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #2

Hi Dave, I have spent many hours troubleshooting same problem. So first thing is to clean main ground cable connections from the pump housing to the chassis. Take them off and clean both cable surface and chassis surface. Then test, if still doesnt work. Take off the control panel (in the coach your control buttons) and unplug connectors and look at connections, may have some corrosion. Sometimes the simple act of unplugging and replugging will solve problem.
Then retest. Power gear has excellant troubleshooting procedure online. Dont replace units until you finish troubleshooting. The first two steps solved my problem.
Kickman921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #3

I'll give it a try. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you had. Thanks
Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 PM   #4

Unfortunately it turns out the connections were not the problem. I'll test whether it's the solenoid or pump motor. Not looking forward to replacing them.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the link to the Power Gear manuals.
https://www.lci1.com/power-gear®-hyd...eveling-system
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Power Gear Levelers Trouble shooting

Hi Dave, That’s a bummer, but more can be done. First of all I assume this is what happens:

Assuming you have the battery disconnect switch by entry door on, you have emergency brake on and you have started the engine and its in park, once you press the jacks “on” button and wait a minute for the pump to engage you then press “front jacks down” button, you may here a clicking sound coming from the pump, or you may hear the pump slightly making an attempt to turn on, or nothing at all but the on light stays illuminated. If that’s close to what you are experiencing, then try the following.

From all the research I have done and personally experienced it is likely a grounding issue. The pump and solenoid are probably OK. So the next step is to remove the wires on the solenoid, the solenoid is strapped to the back of the pump. There is a small ground wire connected to the bottom of the solenoid bracket easy to miss that one. Clean all those cable surfaces including the other end that goes to pump. and replace (be sure they are tight but do not over tighten). Try levelers.

There also is a slight chance your parking brake switch may be bad not allowing the levelers to work.

I thought my problem was the solenoid because it did a clicking sound. Bought a new but different solenoid and it didn’t fix it. So the parts man told me to clean the cables mentioned above. I also read like I mentioned before to take off the Levelers control panel in coach and disconnect and connect a bunch of times to remove any unforeseen corrosion. Then after that she fired up and haven’t had a problem since. Good luck would like to hear back from you. I see the trouble shooting guide link was posted.

Good luck,
Dan
Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #7

Thanks to all for all the help. I'll continue to see what I can find. I'm not planning any trips in the near future so I'm moving kind of slow.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #8

I thought I'd check to see if pump worked so I took cable from the connection on solenoid that went to pump and connected the end that was connected to solenoid to the power post on the solenoid and kept the other end connected to the pump, started the coach, turned on power to coach and still nothing. The only thing that happened was the pump was pretty hot to the touch as was the power post on the solenoid. Not sure I'm doing something wrong or just that the pump is bad and overheating when power is going to it. Any thoughts from those more experienced with electricity. I hope I explained what I did clearly enough.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your motor could be seized up. Take the small cover off the top of the motor (2 philips screws) and see if the bolt under the cover will turn, if not the motor or pump is seized but most likely the motor.
I just went through the same problem and the motor was completely seized. Changed the motor and all is good.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

I have had the same problem. It gets mighty dirty where the solenoid is anchored. I disconnected all solenoid wires and cleaned like crazy both wires and post applied silicone them blew off with compressor hooked back up and it started working. Surprised me that the problem was dirt.
Revleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revleroy View Post
I have had the same problem. It gets mighty dirty where the solenoid is anchored. I disconnected all solenoid wires and cleaned like crazy both wires and post applied silicone them blew off with compressor hooked back up and it started working. Surprised me that the problem was dirt.
That was my experience with this setup, it was all connector/cable connections that cured mine. Thankfully the motor was not siezed like the other posters.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
This happened to me years ago on my 1997 36' Dolphin M.H.
The problem was that the tank that holds the oil was low.
My tank is located up front on the left side just left of the radiator.
You might want to check the oil level.
The cap has a dip stick on the end of it.
Check the oil level when the jacks are up.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear