Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Power Gear Leveling Jacks

First timer here, so be gentle. I have a 2002 National Seabreeze. I am having trouble with my leveling jacks. I can press the power on button, light does come on but when I press any of the other buttons it shuts off. I have checked every fuse in the RV inside and out. All are ok. Fluid level is ok. E-mailed Power Gear. This what they said....When it shuts down like this, it is because of low voltage to the control box or a bad or weak ground coming into the control box. Checking at the separate control box (not the touchpad), you have a ground signal on pin 1 of the 8 pin plug, this will be a black wire with a white tracer, this is your incoming ground into the system. On the 6 pin main power connector, pin 5 which is the center pin that is shaped like a "D", this is your incoming voltage, you need to verify you have at least 12vdc with the coach running. Use the pin 1 black wire ground that you check it against. Make sure to check this when trying to operate the system so you check it under a load. Thank you.

How do I check that? I don't own a multimeter. Also, how can I check it if I can't get it to stay on when i push the jack to engage? Any help would be appreciated.
Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How do I check that? I don't own a multimeter.
Do you know how to use a multimeter if you had one? If yes, then they are not that expensive....less than $10 for a simple one. If no, then you will have to find a friend who can use one and hopefully has one. Most do-it-yourselfer's have multimeters. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

I did find someone who has a multimeter. It did read below 12v. Now what?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritsche View Post
How do I check that? I don't own a multimeter.
Hi Fritshe,

First thing - buy a multimeter. I use mine all the time on the RV. A ten dollar unit is far better than nothing and pretty good ones are available in the $50-$75 range. For this type of troubleshooting, expensive is not necessary. You don't particularly care (for this) if the voltage being detected is 12.43223 volts or 12.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritsche View Post
I can press the power on button, light does come on but when I press any of the other buttons it shuts off.
I am no expert but have battled my Power Gear system a few times.
  • Is the engine running? If not, try it that way. The pump requires a lot of electricity, mine does not like to run without the engine supplying that electricity.
  • On some versions of the Power Gear system, there is a control panel and also a control box. I understand that there are fuses on the control box, possibly this is worth checking.
  • The inline fuse on mine (very near the solenoid) was intermittent. Caused me all sorts of headaches. Just sharing as something to be aware of.
  • The park switch is a bit picky on my rig. There is a position that, with the gear selector in park, the switch does not like. I have to jiggle the gear selector a bit.

Testing for voltage is pretty straight forward. Assuming you are testing a wire for the presence of 12V positive: put your new multimeter on DC, probably the "20" setting, connect the black/negative lead to a ground, connect the red/positive lead to the thing you are testing, and read the number on the screen. If it is negative, you have the leads connected backwards - this will not hurt your meter (with DC voltage).

Finally, download a copy of the parts and service manual from Power Gear. It has a pretty good troubleshooting guide in the back. Follow the steps thru in order and you'll likely arrive at the problem.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried to work the jacks with the engine running or plugged in to shore power.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Engine is running. I checked the fuses at the control box. There are 4 of them and they all are good. The fuse by the solenoid is also good.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

I have the engine running and connected to shore power.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming you followed the instructions from Power Gear, and you got less than 12 volts, then what reading did you get. Likely, you have a defective ground on pin 1 of the 8 pin plug. To verify this, measure from the 6 pin main power connector, pin 5 which is the center pin that is shaped like a "D" to a known good ground......like the outside ring (ground) on the cigar lighter..... you should get over 13 volts with the engine running. If this is verified, then you do have a bad ground on pin1. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

Rook, I did what you said to try and it is a much higher reading. Where should I go next?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, You have verified that you have a bad (resistive) ground on pin 1 (blk wire, white stripe).....and thats why you have less than 12 volts on pin 5, using pin 1 as a ground, and that's very likely why your power jacks don't work. My wiring diagram shows that pin 1 blk & wht wire goes through a plug and then directly to a chassis ground somewhere. If you can find that plug, open it (unlplug) and check for corrosion on the connectors, especially the pins for the blk & wht wire. Rook

Old 08-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
.........and see if you can trace the blk & wht wire back to where it is grounded to the chassis frame.......if you can find that, clean it of all corrosion re-ground it to bright metal chassis. Use some "conducting" grease if you have it. That ought to fix it! Rook

Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #12

Check and clean the ground wire and motor terminal and add a star washer if it does not have one. That was my problem and is a very common problem to the point the the mfg. recommends doing that every 6 months. I do not think that is necessary but every couple of years would seem plenty. It took over 10 years of neglect before it became a problem for me.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, power, power gear