Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Pre-Prep for Bedroom Ceiling Vent?

Anyone ever hear of National (specifically early 2000's Dolphin 5342) "Pre-Prepping" the roof and bedroom ceiling for the addition of a standard (or nicer) roof vent? Seems as though I heard or read once that they made them "vent-ready" by framing the location and marking it on the roof. I believe the spot was basically where the vents are on 2006 and newer units where the bedroom vents were standard.

Any thoughts or knowledge out there in National land?

Thanks,
Steve
wihakowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I was told that my 2001 Sea View by National was prepped for a third AC in the bedroom but maybe it was for a Fantastic vent. This motorhome doesn't need another AC unit but a Fantastic vent might be nice there. Mine currently has just a plain vent there and that is all I want since most of the time I have a vent cushion in there to keep the bedroom dark.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve,
I installed a fantastic fan in my bedroom. There was no pre framing found on mine. Actually the front to back framing in that part of the roof was non existent in mine. That area is supported by shaped foam blocks between the roof and the ceiling.

Installation was relatively simple.

I just measured side to side to find center line and outlined an approximate square for the Fantastic fan that was between the two ceiling light fixtures. You may be able to use a sensitive stud finder to locate any existing frame in yours.

I removed light fixtures forward of the fan location to ascertain wiring locations before I cut into the ceiling . Wires run in channels molded into the foam insulation. Generally these wires run about 8 inches either side of the center line of the roof. I have more photos of this process. here--http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1491&ppuser=

Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have been following this post because I would like to put a fantastic in our bedroom. M&EM could you narrow down the pictures? I went to your link & there are over 24,000 pictures.
Thanks Steve
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry Steve,

I just tried the link and it did reach my album labeled "ceiling wiring". within that album are the photos for my fan install.

Try again.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

This shows the shaped foam filler blocks and channels within for wiring and underside of the roof sub panel. I had to carve out the foam by 3/4" on 4 sides to allow for a wood frame within the opening.

This shows access to wiring location by removing ceiling light fixtures.

I used existing ceiling light wire for fan power. My fan was the type with remote so no switch wiring was needed.

I made wood framing in four over lapping sections using HD hardware for corner bracing. I installed one side at a time. One side had large hole for wiring to come thru.

I drilled corner holes thru the fiber glass roof as locators for the canopy cutout.

I added metal strips to the top edges of the framing for better sheet metal screw attachment of the outside vent flange.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
A small ceiling fan will not let light into the bed room

I have a 36' 1997 Dolphin M.H. with a vent over the bed. My wife does not like sleeping with any kind of light getting into the bed room.
So I covered up the vent area and installed a small ceiling fan that runs very quite either way one way pulls the air up and around or down and around it has three speeds and it has a remote control you can use.
The fan is in the middle of the bed so as long as you do not jump up and down on the bed it is safe where its at.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Walter,
Where did you get the ceiling fan?

Thanks,
Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I was lucky. My MH had a ceiling vent in the bedroom. I removed it and installed the MaxxAir Ventilation fan. The old ceiling vent was the standard 14" square so the new fan fit right in. On the passenger side of the opening their was a hole in the wood framing that gave access to the ceiling light wiring. I tapped into the wiring for power.

This is the fan I installed MaxxFan Deluxe Manual-Opening RV Ventilator System, White Lid - Maxxair 00-05100K - Vents - Camping World
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, vent