Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Preparing current rig for trade-in

We've been full-timers for five years, and will be trading our 2012 Thor A.C.E. 2012 for a new RV this summer. We've started prepping the ACE to get the best trade-in value. Tom is a certified NRVIA inspector, and he has started examining everything through that lens, so we can catch and fix anything. While we know they will consider it "biased," we'll document the inspection as if we were doing it for a buyer, anyway.

Our main question right now is what to do about the interior. We will be trading it with a new mattress (keeping our Sleep-Number bed); all original decorative fabric items (pillows, bed spread, etc. Stored, never used); and probably a new sofa (trading the one out of the new rig for the sewing desk I have in that spot now.

While some of the fake leather components are in new condition, some show some wear. We're wondering how much time, effort, and $$ we should invest in refurbishing these items, or if it really matters all that much on the trade-in value.

We're doing some work now, but wonder if most dealers have access to professionals who punch this stuff out really fast - or have such good pricing on replacements that they don't bother and just replace - or what?
Mayaluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll bet they will give you low blue book and send it out to auction no matter what you do to it. If you want to go to all this trouble sell it your self you will come out ahead.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #3

A dealer quoted me $1,500 to re-upholster a couch, I don't think they have a magic wand. And I would only go thru all this work if you were gonna sell the coach via private sale-As another poster said, dealer don't care how good a shape its in.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
I'll bet they will give you low blue book and send it out to auction no matter what you do to it. If you want to go to all this trouble sell it your self you will come out ahead.
X2

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
+1. You're getting wholesale as long as it's presentable.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
+1. You're getting wholesale as long as it's presentable.
Just one more to agree with the above^^, and one who has just gone through the trade-in vs private sale decision.

Trust me (and the others), you will never get anywhere near your refurbish investment with a trade-in. You probably have an idea already as to what you will be offered on a trade-in--if not, do that homework now. You will find that all the dealers will be within a few dollars of each other. Do your improvements, and the trade-in value will remain the same.

If you're set on doing a trade, save yourself time and money and just clean up the rig. The money to be made on your efforts will go to the dealer when he resells your rig at a "premium" due to the great upgrades you paid for.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Its not all gloom and doom out there, I was just thinking about what happened when we traded in our 5ver for the MH. We went and looked at the MH and met the dealer/ owner and told him we had a trade in (the 5ver). After we returned home, I called the dealer, told him what we wanted to pay for the MH and what we wanted for our trade, he said, OK. OOPs! Now we're on the hook! Anyway, we drove up to the dealer to drop off the 5ver, and pick up the MH, it actually worked out quite well. That same summer, we stopped by the dealer and he said he sold the 5ver, so he's happy, we're happy (and someone got a nice 5ver to boot! I know, I spent 17 years adding stuff!!)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote