RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Puting fuel in the fuel tank problem.

Picked up the 1997 Dolphin 534G today to bring it home. Stopped to fuel it and the PO had said it was "slow" to fill. That was an understatement. At the slowest feed we could use fuel ran from the top of the tanks in a pretty steady stream of drips down to the ground. It didn't burp back out the filling hole but there is an obvious problem at the tank. F53Chassis. I have the Chassis manual and the Dolphin hand book but no where does it show the filler hose/tank lash up. Any suggestions where I might find that picture and any suggestions as to what I am looking for. Does the fuel feed into the side of the tank or down thru the top. What about return line for air. Does it feed back up the fill pipe and out at the tip? Thanks

fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi, I looked at what few manuals I have and I have non on the fuel system. I would wonder about the vent being the problem. Need to get the air out to fuel. Sorry I can not help more.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have read about this problem on the National forum. Sometimes it is that the fuel vent hose has slipped under the fuel fill hose. Track it down, it should run with, and just above, the fill hose, see if it is under the fill hose.. That would trap fuel and not allow air to escape.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #4

Does the vent hose run back up to the filler station? There is a leak around the top of the tank somewhere since the fuel seems to be running along the top of the tank and dripping off the forward end. Forward maybe because there was a slight tilt of the system forward and gravity carried it forward off the top of the tank. If it wasn't being vented fuel should build up and come back out the filler station I would think. It seems to take as much fuel as I want to feed it but leaking really bad around the tank as I feed fuel faster. It appears to leak all the time, even with minimal fuel stream into the filler station.

I haven't looked yet, will today, but I guess one could cut the floor under the bed and access the system. I'll crawl under there today and see what I can see. May have to have someone pour in fuel while I look. Safety light seems to be the order of the day in that case. Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
My work-around is to always have the back end *where my fuel por is) higher than the front - even if I have to put down the rear jacks. The fill pipe is so long the if I don't fuel backs-up and "pops" the overflow latch on the gas nozzle.

Just my $.02

(Always take free advise for what its worth) ;^)
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Donnt cut into it from the bed.. On a Workhorse the filler pipe is metal, then connects to the gas tank (on the side)with a short piece of rubber hose. Maybe the rubber hose is rotted. Cheep easy fix. Maybe your vent hose is rotted and allowing fuel to leak to the ground. You might need someone to pour in some gas as you watch.
Good luck and let us know what you find
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

fuel leak

Well, I got down under there and looked. The filler hose and vent hose wind its way aft around the jack and into the side of the tank THRU A HOLE IN THE FRAME. I suspect that the leak is at the tank connection but will have to have someone pour fuel while I take a mirror and try to see in thru the hole in the frame to the tank connections Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1371 (2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	38970   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1378 (2).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	38971  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1365 (2).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	38972  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Just don't use a candle to view under there!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

Got back under there and had some fuel poured into the filler. About 10 inches down the hose there is a crack. The whole hose needs to come out. Clamped to side of the tank thru the frame, can't see them unless use a mirror so going to be tough to get out. Also needs to be longer since it is rubbing on the top of the hyd. jack that it loops around and over. There would be a leak there sooner or later as well. Generator frame comes back in there as well so not much work room.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

Took it to a RV shop. Needed refrig. recall done as well so decided to have them do both. They got into my pocketbook. $147.00 for 4 foot hose and 3 hours labor at $90.00 an hour. I knew the labor charge and was ready to grant them 2 hours to do what another poster said he did in about an hour. I was thinking 80.00 for the hose. That seems to be the top end for that kind of fuel hose you unroll and cut the length you want. So when all said an done, over $400.00 dollars.

Tags
fuel, tank