Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Question about diagnostic OBDI or OBDII tool?

I have a 2003 Seabreeze Class A Ford chassis with an OBDI compliant port. But it has a 16 pin OBDII connector. Do any of you know if there is an OBD diagnostic tool currently on the market? My service engine light stays on and I would like to get the tool to check it and get it turned off. When I had it smogged last year (it was on) they passed the smog and told me to drive it, I did and it went out, they couldn't find the OBD port at the time to shut the service engine light off. After driving it the light went out, but now it's back on

Also, thank you for previously responding to my questions about my slide and generator problems/questions.

Rick
Rick Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Here is an Amazon link to several.

I have Scan Guage II abd it works well.

Amazon.com: scan gauge: Automotive

Dick
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the scangauge, I have mine mounted on the dash panel. You can read and reset codes and monitor sooo much more. It don't cost much more than the scanners you can pick up at an auto parts store.

I especially like to monitor trans temp and MPG

Your port will be somewhere near the steering column. Some are hard to find without really looking around under the dash. I found mine by lifting the dash panel and then looking back at the steering column.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

OBD scangauge

Thanks for helping me with my question about the OBD issues. I looked on Amazon and have emailed the maker of the Scangauge because I'm still not sure I can use it since the sticker in the engine compartment says: "OBD I certified CFF certified", but I have a 16 pin connector which appears to be a OBD II. If you know anything further, please let me know. I'll let you know what the manufacturer says. Thanks again!!!

Dick - loved the pictures
Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
OBD II will work on it. Although resetting the check engine light will not fix the problem. Best to do the test with the OBD tool & have an autoparts store check the code to see what has failled. then fix it. Some vehicles will reset after 3 starts and forward movement above 25mph. If it does not reset it is a true fault. If you want to try this self reset you must start the vehicle go down the road at speed stop and park. Then shut everything off, repeat 2 more times. Another option is to disconnect the ground cable from the battery wait 30 seconds then reinstall the cable. Make sure your house batteries are not powering the engine systems. Do a search for OBD codes and fill in the info for your Ford Chasse. You should be able to find the codes and a possible method to check it using the vehicles gauges, odometer or idiot lights.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #6

reply to dsbike re OBD & check engine light

I'm going to try the 3 starts that you recommended, are those cold starts or stop & restart right away? On the battery disconnect; I did that but was told to do it for 30 minutes, so you are saying 30 seconds, right?
I will try both of these after I confirm with you about the above.

Meanwhile, I spoke to the manufacturer of the Scangauge II 3 in 1; they don't think it will work...but not sure as the unit will plug in. So I'm thinking of buying one (advertised at Auto Zone on their site) and first seeing if I can get a refund if it doesn't work.....any suggestions on that one or another?? Thank you
Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Rickl

Here is a copy of the Scanguage II Manual. Hope it helps.

Dick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SGIIManual[1].pdf (223.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Flores View Post
I'm going to try the 3 starts that you recommended, are those cold starts or stop & restart right away? On the battery disconnect; I did that but was told to do it for 30 minutes, so you are saying 30 seconds, right?
I will try both of these after I confirm with you about the above.

Meanwhile, I spoke to the manufacturer of the Scangauge II 3 in 1; they don't think it will work...but not sure as the unit will plug in. So I'm thinking of buying one (advertised at Auto Zone on their site) and first seeing if I can get a refund if it doesn't work.....any suggestions on that one or another?? Thank you
You can do the 3 starts consecutive, no need to let the vehicle cool down. The computer senses the engine shut down & then restarted. This may or may not work on the Ford. I have had this work on a Jeep & Saturn. If it doesn't reset it doesn't mean there is a hard fault, it could be that Ford doesn't respond to the restart in the computer. I have always had luck with clearing a check engine light with the 30 second disconnect. Just make sure the house battery isn't suppling power either. Good Luck.
I use the scan gauge II on my 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It has several useful settings & reads codes. It is pricey $$$. If you just want to check your codes take it to Auto Zone or Advance & let them connect thier gauge. They will do this for free, unless you are in CA. CA must have some sort of screwed up law to not let them do it there. Too much goverment involvement where they don't need to be. (I guess we will save that comment for another day/post.) You can buy a code reader for about $40-$50 at most auto parts or Harbor Frieght.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #9

OBD scangauge

Dick, thank you for sending the Scangauge manual, it was very helpful, but Scangauge people say it may not work, so I'm still doing somemore checking on whether or not to buy it.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #10

OBD scangauge

Dsbike: I did the battery disconnect as you suggested & it worked - the check engine light went out!! The reason I'm leary about getting the Scangauge is you got it right; I'm in CA and nothing would surprise me here. Smog people said I had no OBD connector, after checking around I finally found it - hence the reason the check engine light wouldn't go out. Reason I couldn't find it was that it was facing up and hidden. Sticker on air cleaner says "this vehicle conforms to CA regulation, applicable to CA", OBD I certified, CFF certified (whatever that is?). Yet my vehicle has a 16 pin OBDII connector in the cab. That's why I'm leary about buying the scangauge because autopart stores won't take electrical parts back, unless there is defect or damaged. I'm still checking, perhaps Amazon will take it back, I'm contacting them. It's better to know for sure if you don't have a problem, so I would like to get it for the future. Also, my OBD II conntector has a metalic pins: #2, 4, 5 & 16 which is Ford's SAE J1850 (pulse with modulation), communication patterns. It also had metalic pins in #7 & 13, maybe this will help to identify it.

I really appreciate all your help & for now the important thing is that the light did go out. Hopefully, I'm getting closer.