Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
RADIO/CD CHANGER Not Functioning

I have a 2004 SeaBreaze with an Audiovox Rampage 10 Disc CD Changer, and an ASA Audiovox VR180 AM/FM/CD/CDC Control receiver.

Problem is I can't seem to get the Stereo in the dash to recognize the CD Changer with there is a CD in the 10 Disc cassette. I have downloaded manuals for both units, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to switch from the in dash cd, to the changer to play those CD's.. I have pushed all sorts of buttons, but I can't seem to get it into the CDC mode the manual references, nor does the manul indicate exactly how to get it into CDC mode.

I have traced the wire or DATA CABLE that leaves the Changer and into the back of the stereo, and there is power supplied to the changer, but still, CD's don't play, they don't load.

I have every other function working on the radio, except being able to listen to the CD's in the changer...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
Five92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #2

I had their number in an email, but lost it when my computer crashed. Try here for a start. I found their tech support to be very helpful.

Contact VOXX International

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #3

Look familiar? I wanted to feed the RCA audio output jacks from my TV into my radio so I could have the sound from the TV coming out of the overhead radio speakers, but there is no RCA plugs or jacks on the back of my radio. Only this 8 pin DIN plug. I did notice there was voltage on the pins, but nothing worked as an audio input.

I found out I would have to fool the radio into thinking it had a CDC connected with an emulator or something like that. Complex and costly. I ended up building a LM386 amp to do it using a cassette adapter. It works, but not the best.

Does yours have the CDC button? It almost sounds like you don't have power, other than what's on the pins, going to the CDC. Look for another cable going into the changer. There might be a blown fuse under your dash panel, if you have one.

How do you like your Breeze? Love mine. National built a high quality coach. Other than a broken piston caused by a weak fuel pump, no problems. Warranty company covered the >$10K claim.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I think you may have solved my problem for with that simple picture.. My radio looks just like that, except it does NOT have that CDC button. Where your CDC button is, I have and AUX button. I have my TV running through the RCA Jacks on the rear of the radio so I listen to my TV through surround. Maybe they installed the incorrect radio version. I have tried every button to get the CDC to work. I have never used the changer since we got the coach from the in-laws, until last summer when I wanted to use it on our long trip to Glacier National Park. Then it became an issue. (I tried to upload my photo, but couldn't figure out how to do it).

The link you sent me for Audiovox proved to be a good link, except that Audiovox does not have anything to do with this line (ASA) of radio. Their customer service person responded quickly though, and provided me with a link to the ASA customer service rep and they too responded quickly with pictures, diagrams and suggestions. (Unfortunately, none of them worked).

As far as the Breeze goes, I love it. In 2004, My wife's parents bought the coach brand new to travel along with grandma and grandpa in their motor home, but grandpa had a series of medical issues that rendered him unable to drive his 35' Holiday Rambler, and in 2010 the issues ultimately took his life. There was interest in the coach while grandpa went through his complications, and so it sat for several years, uncovered in the Pacific NW weather, with the power plugged in. (There was NO maintenance on it whatsoever). In 2009, my wife and I inherited, or took control the Breeze and so began the tedious task of bringing it back to life. I replaced water lines and pumps because of no winterization. I replaced all three batteries, as they were completely boiled dry. I then resealed the roof myself from front to back, replaced some weathered vent caps, and installed an LED TV in place of that super heavy factory tube TV.. (It shorted out from water running in through the front cap). Slowly but surely, I was able to get the coach out of the driveway and on the road. I did suffer the same issues with the Bosch Brake calipers, and that led to some interesting and anxious times in rush hour traffic, but that was all completed. My in-laws never looked at any recall paperwork, so they didn't have any idea anything was wrong. The front brakes got so hot that the rubber oil level plugs in the hub blew out and the oil bath boiled...... Thanks to Goodyear and Peterbuilt here in Fife, WA for helping me past their closing time.

I did have another issue that I am not sure I wrote about, but that was a problem with blowing a fuse controlling the right bank of Fuel Injectors. That 8.1 Vortex up and screams when it's running properly, but can you imagine pulling a hill and suddenly you have a 4 cylinder?! Yeah, it won't move the coach....

I found that a piece of angle iron used to build the dog house (the hump for the engine cover) was cut too long and would press into the wiring harness under hard throttle and the right body/chassis flex. This caused the angle iron to pierce through the plastic cover, and into the wires, causing a direct short of the right injector bank... It took some time to figure this out, but I cut that angle shorter, repaired the wiring and have had zero issues since.

Today, I am heading to Astoria for salmon fishing with my buddies for two days. Spent the whole summer with the kids, camping, soccer tournaments, and such, so I get to spend two days away with my fishing buddies before the kids go back to school and my vacation is over..... So I'll be away from my computer for a while. I currently have 7,737 miles on the coach..

Thanks again for the information...
Five92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #5

I'll respond to the Breeze comments later. I wish I had the RCA jacks on mine. Is there a way you can feed the TV thru the CDC if you get it working? I want to think the AUX button is the way to feed the CDC into the radio.

Hey, maybe we could trade radios. That is if I can and want to even try to remove it.

L8TR.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #6

I'm trying to find out if their are any recall notices for a 2003 National Islander 9402
I just purchased it at an auction and trying to register it in Canada but the Canadian
goverment will not allow that until I can prove that their are no recalls on the unit.
Does anyone know who might have been a dealer for National R V
If you can help in any way it would be greatly appricated.
cowboy3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

They probably want to know if there are any safety or chassis recalls. Contact your chassis manufacturer with VIN in hand.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not have an audiovox but when I plugged the AUX adapter in my Pioneer I had to go into a set up menu (not well documented) and enable it. Once I did that it comes up on the SOURCE button.

As for adding a LINE IN or AUX input, depends on the radio, My Pioneer you can plug in a CD changer, Plug a Sat receiver into that and the AUX in to that, they daisy chain, not all do that.

What you can do in any case is this.

If it is a a Radio/Cassette,, I have a cassette adapter I can send you Or you can get one at Radio Shack (Roughly the same cost postage or purchase).

If not then again Radio Shack, and some other stores, sell small FM transmitters, the one I have is called an I-Beam, runs off batteries or 12vdc car cord. Works fairly well most of the time, not as good as line in however.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

I bought 3 new cassette adapters thru Sears for $.01 each. $9.XX with shipping, but they are only good for something with a 1/8" female plug like a portable CD or cassette. The RCA output from a TV is to low a level to work. I had to build a LM386 amp to get it to work.

These VR180 radios do not have a setup menu. Mine has the 8 pin DIN female receptacle without the RCA plugs and the OP's has the RCA plugs without the DIN receptacle(I'll trade).

As you can see on the drawing, it has R/L audio in, but needs something to tell it that something is connected to the DIN.

wa8yxm, what do you use for an Aux in?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five92 View Post
As far as the Breeze goes, I love it. In 2004, My wife's parents bought the coach brand new to travel along with grandma and grandpa in their motor home, but grandpa had a series of medical issues that rendered him unable to drive his 35' Holiday Rambler, and in 2010 the issues ultimately took his life. There was interest in the coach while grandpa went through his complications, and so it sat for several years, uncovered in the Pacific NW weather, with the power plugged in. (There was NO maintenance on it whatsoever). In 2009, my wife and I inherited, or took control the Breeze and so began the tedious task of bringing it back to life. I replaced water lines and pumps because of no winterization. I replaced all three batteries, as they were completely boiled dry. I then resealed the roof myself from front to back, replaced some weathered vent caps, and installed an LED TV in place of that super heavy factory tube TV.. (It shorted out from water running in through the front cap). Slowly but surely, I was able to get the coach out of the driveway and on the road. I did suffer the same issues with the Bosch Brake calipers, and that led to some interesting and anxious times in rush hour traffic, but that was all completed. My in-laws never looked at any recall paperwork, so they didn't have any idea anything was wrong. The front brakes got so hot that the rubber oil level plugs in the hub blew out and the oil bath boiled...... Thanks to Goodyear and Peterbuilt here in Fife, WA for helping me past their closing time.

I did have another issue that I am not sure I wrote about, but that was a problem with blowing a fuse controlling the right bank of Fuel Injectors. That 8.1 Vortex up and screams when it's running properly, but can you imagine pulling a hill and suddenly you have a 4 cylinder?! Yeah, it won't move the coach....

I found that a piece of angle iron used to build the dog house (the hump for the engine cover) was cut too long and would press into the wiring harness under hard throttle and the right body/chassis flex. This caused the angle iron to pierce through the plastic cover, and into the wires, causing a direct short of the right injector bank... It took some time to figure this out, but I cut that angle shorter, repaired the wiring and have had zero issues since.

Today, I am heading to Astoria for salmon fishing with my buddies for two days. Spent the whole summer with the kids, camping, soccer tournaments, and such, so I get to spend two days away with my fishing buddies before the kids go back to school and my vacation is over..... So I'll be away from my computer for a while. I currently have 7,737 miles on the coach..

Thanks again for the information...
I believe my buddy has a 8321 Breeze LX. His wife just said it had a "2" in the number. Anyhow, she brought up the 2004 spec sheet and even before seeing mine, wanted to trade. She says hers has too much wasted counter space around the sink/stove area and I have a lot more storage space everywhere; kitchen, lounge, bathroom, etc. I have storage space, just to store my storage space. There's is the WH chassis and they both hate how it wallows whenever a truck passes them. I guess the WH chassis doesn't have any anti-sway bars at all. Don't know about a trac bar.

Anyhow, I'm lovin' my Breeze. Evidently, the Breeze is the entry level National, but even so, they built a high quality coach and mine appears to have been built with almost all the optional comfort items.

I did have my V10 break a piston, but I think it was from going lean due to a weak fuel pump. The dash AC had a very slow oil leak and the speedo jumped to 40 as soon as I started rolling. Extended service contract took care of the >$10K claim.

Like you, I'm always finding things to improve or add to it. I'm having fun, but with this record heat, there's only about an hour or two in the morning to work on it.

Back to the original question. Does your CDC have the 8 pin DIN? Where were you seeing the voltages? When you have your TV surround sounding, do you have to push the AUX button? Does your CDC have AUX or RCA in plugs?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Not sure why your buddy's motor home gets dusted off when passed by a semi. I have the 8.1L W22 workhorse chassis and find that it is an incredibly stable ride. The front springs have a 2" square tube equalizer and the rear I believe has a very large round stabilizer. I know when they bought this they paid 105,000 before adding whatever options they wanted. Mine also has the. Semi size tires, I believe they are somewhere in the 22.5" range. Maybe they have the P30 chassis. The breeze is the entry level and the the Dolphin I believe is the next step up.

Mine, like your's, has plenty of storage and counter space. The only thing i wish could be better is the stove insert. It needs to be a bit larger so I can get a couple of large pans on there at once....

For the radio situation, I haven't take the time to pin out the voltage on the CDC pins on the back of the radio so I am not sure about voltage. I know that when this cable is plugged in, I get do get some type of voltage to the changer as the CD magazine will eject and the cd mechanism moves.

I connected the TV sound to the two RCA AUX connectors and when listening to the TV, I do push the AUX button to hear the sound through the speakers in the coach.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy3406
I'm trying to find out if their are any recall notices for a 2003 National Islander 9402
I just purchased it at an auction and trying to register it in Canada but the Canadian
goverment will not allow that until I can prove that their are no recalls on the unit.
Does anyone know who might have been a dealer for National R V
If you can help in any way it would be greatly appricated.
Do they want just the recall information for the chassis? If so the VIN and chassis manufacture should get you that stuff. As far as the contents, you'll have to go through and identify each component and record the make, model and serial number, then go to each website and plug in your model number. Or, hopefully the previous owners left the factory build documents somewhere and you can find phone numbers. In my case, I was researching wether I wanted to replace my Dometic fridge when, while on the website, I noticed a little RECALL link. I clicked the link and it asked for model and serial and low and behold there was a safety recall on the fridge. It warned I should stop using it immediately.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Not sure why your buddy's motor home gets dusted off when passed by a semi. I have the 8.1L W22 workhorse chassis and find that it is an incredibly stable ride. The front springs have a 2" square tube equalizer and the rear I believe has a very large round stabilizer. I know when they bought this they paid 105,000 before adding whatever options they wanted. Mine also has the. Semi size tires, I believe they are somewhere in the 22.5" range. Maybe they have the P30 chassis. The breeze is the entry level and the the Dolphin I believe is the next step up.
He has the 8.1L W22 chassis, but says it has no anti-sway bars. Maybe the bars you have were added at time of sale or later. It sounds like the square one is a trac bar and the round one is anti-sway.

Quote:
For the radio situation, I haven't take the time to pin out the voltage on the CDC pins on the back of the radio so I am not sure about voltage. I know that when this cable is plugged in, I get do get some type of voltage to the changer as the CD magazine will eject and the cd mechanism moves.
Pin 4 - B+12V is 12V. Pin 5 - CDC Bus is +5V. I tried every combination of 150k to 6 ohms between 12V and grd and CDC and 12V and CDC to grd and nothing worked to turn the CDC function on. Sound like you are getting voltage to the CDC, but it's either not outputting to the radio or it's broke.

Quote:
I connected the TV sound to the two RCA AUX connectors and when listening to the TV, I do push the AUX button to hear the sound through the speakers in the coach.
That tells us the radio is capable of sound input.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I sent off another email to the ASA folks asking for the procedure to use the cd changer with the AUX button and no CDC button. I'll let you know what they say.

As far as the radio being broke, I wouldn't doubt it at all. With the amount of water that deluged the dash from the previous leaky roof, that's a good possibility. That's what shorted out the TV.

Have you had your dash cluster replaced?
One was a warranty recall for lines in the LCD readout. The dealer that fixed the brakes under the Bosch brake recall replaced my dash for free at the same time.

I do have a question that has nothing to do with the radio. The inverter switch by the door, under the switch panel. When I turn it on and the switch illuminates, which 110V outlets, if any are supposed to be hot? I can't seem to find any in the coach that are...