Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Radius Sides on Roof

The radius sides that roll down from the roof to the gutters on my Dolphin are black and almost appear to be black paint or some type of black coating that is starting to peal. Has anyone addressed this issue on theirs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
The radius sides that roll down from the roof to the gutters on my Dolphin are black and almost appear to be black paint or some type of black coating that is starting to peal. Has anyone addressed this issue on theirs?
Since nobody has responded I'm going to bet that's something that was added by a dealer, repair shop or previous owner. My SurfSide doesn't have any kind of black coating on the radius roof edges.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I had an 05 Dolphin and the radius roof sides where white as the rest of the roof.
My current 08 Dolphin has full body paint and the factory painted the radius roof sides to match the paint below the gutter. Maybe the black was added to yours later, I would think black could get hot and burnt or peal from the sun. Our brown color that faces up on the radius roof sides has some fading and clear coat pealing, but the white areas of paint on roof radius sides still looks like new.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
You wrote:

"Our brown color that faces up on the radius roof sides has some fading and clear coat pealing,"

We have a 2007 Dolphin with the exact same problem & situation developing. I am curious - Do you see any problem developing here with the clear-coat peeling?

Thanks
Jim
Jim1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I don't think it would cause problems, it is hard to see from below and is mostly a cosmetic problem. We now park the RV under a roof so is not in the sun when not used so pealing might continue but at a slower pace.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I have clear coat peeling on the front and rear caps too. I have full body paint but the other peeling I mention in the opening post does seem to be original. I'll have to take a couple of pictures.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well here are some photos of the original post in question. It appears to maybe be some sort of very thin tape? It wasn’t pealing like this two yrs. ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6272.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	205712Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6273.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	205713Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6274.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	205714
Old 06-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Definitely added on by someone earlier and sure didn't stand up to the sun. Like you say, doesn't look like paint , maybe a graphics material or tape. The question would be why was it put on ? Maybe for looks, a black accent along the roof line. Also maybe to cover up possibly some cracks on the radius roof edge. The radius edge rises up then turns down and if you step or kneel too close to the edge of the roof it can crack the radius edge fiberglass. Just a possibility...
It should be all white like our 05 5342 was...
Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Your 08 Dolphin roof is exactly similar to our 07. The black tape that tmw188 shows is new to me. I have a full body paint rig, and peeling of clear coat is occuring on the rounded ridges. Nothing looks so bad so as to worry me about roof leakage, but still, something to watch.
Jim1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Radius Sides on Roof

I will have to check with another member on here I know that has the same paint scheme, but I think because of the color of the coach that the black radius is original. The white would not look good against the black gutters and dark brown sides?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6276.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	206281
Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Picture is helpful, thanks. You're right, it would be nice to see another 3676LX with full body paint. Like you say, white wouldn't look good on radius.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #12

It look like black duct tape. Not a long term solution to anything.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Radius Sides on Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
It look like black duct tape. Not a long term solution to anything.

Not duct tape I know the difference no fabric and has lasted since 2005. Also underneath doesn't appear to be white like the rest of roof just a greyish looking fiberglass?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Radius Sides on Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Definitely added on by someone earlier and sure didn't stand up to the sun. Like you say, doesn't look like paint , maybe a graphics material or tape. The question would be why was it put on ? Maybe for looks, a black accent along the roof line. Also maybe to cover up possibly some cracks on the radius roof edge. The radius edge rises up then turns down and if you step or kneel too close to the edge of the roof it can crack the radius edge fiberglass. Just a possibility...
It should be all white like our 05 5342 was...

It's definitely a rolled material like a 3 or 4" tape each lapping over the other staring from the bottom. I didn't count the layers. Where it ended and started again they laid another piece perpendicular over the seam. It's also across the rear cap just above the marker lights and the cap moulding. I think it was to hide the white. I'll have to cover this with something eventually.

Tags
roof