Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rear skid or protection for low hanging oil cooler

2008 National Tropical 33.5' has a trans cooler than is the lowest point on the rear underside. First contact. Don't know why National hung it there instead of over the behind the radiator. Don't know why they did not add a skid. Our old gasser had a set of steel rollers in back to ease the crunch of bad driveways. I broke is (see thread)

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/frei...ml#post6220752

Since there must be at least hundreds if not thousands of these I wondered if someone made a bolt on crash bar or roller bar for this? Have you seen this done? Have you built a simple safety bar? I don't weld but I can find someone to do the work. I think that bolting it to the cross member that has the cooler might bend the frame rails but the cross member to frame rail bolts might be a good attachment point. That rear set of bolts could hold a shark fin or a cross bar behind the cooler perhaps.

I know I'm not the only one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220620_123647.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	368828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220620_123538.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	368829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220620_123551.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	368830  
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 11:32 PM   #2

Run to harbor freight or northern tool and buy yourself those heavy duty chassis rollers metal and or roller skate type etc. Yes they work
Old 06-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Run to harbor freight or northern tool and buy yourself those heavy duty chassis rollers metal and or roller skate type etc. Yes they work

Thanks. So they do make these. I am guessing they bolt on.

I have been unable to find them on searches at a number of places. What kind of search phrase do you think I would try. I am drawing a blank. Roll Bar? Ground contact presenter?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 07-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Still looking. Tried one Harbor freight but they did not know. Will try truck part places or RV places.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Still looking. Tried one Harbor freight but they did not know. Will try truck part places or RV places.

Skid wheels. Etrailer has a bunch and Amazon.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:53 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Skid wheels. Etrailer has a bunch and Amazon.
That's it tons to choose from. I'll take another look under and see what the best fit is. Thanks a lot folks. I'll take a pic when I get one or two attached.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #7

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-c...ter-69905.html

Castor wheels, many types with weight-bearing capabilities.

I ended up getting the swivel types after the fixed direction wheels got scraped badly after a few strange driveway exits while turning. The swivel wheels turned out to be a better solution so that they could accommodate the change in direction of travel.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:20 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-c...ter-69905.html

Castor wheels, many types with weight-bearing capabilities.

I ended up getting the swivel types after the fixed direction wheels got scraped badly after a few strange driveway exits while turning. The swivel wheels turned out to be a better solution so that they could accommodate the change in direction of travel.
Interesting. They also look as if they hang down farther whixh is good. I think I want to consider steel wheels which can skid sideways. That's what our gasser had.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Interesting. They also look as if they hang down farther whixh is good. I think I want to consider steel wheels which can skid sideways. That's what our gasser had.

The weight per wheel is an interesting thing to see!
I also chose to sacrifice the sheel surface in case of a sideways drag vs the driveway gouges. My own drive was rather steep and so were some of the ones I frequented. The swivel amazingly stayed together till the rig and I parted ways! I have yet to put em on the latest one, will have to get on it this month. Need to put flaps on the back end as well. Oh that is another thing to worry about trapping the flap between the wheels and the drive surface!
Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The weight per wheel is an interesting thing to see!
I also chose to sacrifice the sheel surface in case of a sideways drag vs the driveway gouges. My own drive was rather steep and so were some of the ones I frequented. The swivel amazingly stayed together till the rig and I parted ways! I have yet to put em on the latest one, will have to get on it this month. Need to put flaps on the back end as well. Oh that is another thing to worry about trapping the flap between the wheels and the drive surface!
Ours will be mounted in front of the flap. That is where the frame rails are the easiest to get to. That is also where the cooler is. Nice thing about the swivel wheels is that they hang down farther which would help me since that cooler hangs down. Even if the tires come off they would work fine. I wonder if I could drill the cross beam and use 4 bolts without weakening it. Have to look. Meanwhile our brake air dryer relief valve has blown and will not come loose to replace.We are stuck in Reno hoping to get a replacement and someone to get it changed.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:40 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just remember the bigger the wheels the more you will dragging. Can you adjust the air bags so it rides a little higher in the rear.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:24 PM   #12

I couldn't see if you have a hitch. If you do, these may be of some help.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/HITCH...-p/94-8774.htm

Tim
Old 07-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
Just remember the bigger the wheels the more you will dragging. Can you adjust the air bags so it rides a little higher in the rear.

If I put the wheels on the rear cross member I will need a bigger wheel so that may help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
I couldn't see if you have a hitch. If you do, these may be of some help.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/HITCH...-p/94-8774.htm

Tim

I will take a look. Assuming this uses u bolts it might be good assuming the hitch can take that kind of hit?

Tags
rear