Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Recommended Service - Red Oak, TX Area

Hi everyone,
I just got my 99 Dolphin home and want to take it to a service center to
change oil, check batteries, tires, belts, etc. etc.

Does anyone in my area of Red Oak/Waxahachie, TX have a reputable service center for RV's? I'm about 8 miles from Interstate 20 and I-35E.
I don't want to drive all the way to Ft. Worth to I-35W for a Camping World or way to the north side of Dallas to Denton, TX Camping World.

Thanks so much.
bevnicka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
JVJ

OK, I'm not familiar with the model Dolphin, what is the power train? Gas, diesel, Cat, Cummins? Give me a little more information and I'll try to see if I can lead you in a good direction. I am just down the road in Ovilla.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
JVJ

OK, did a little research and now know that the Dolphin is a gas coach. If you want to stay real close to home like in Red Oak the problem with the local shops is limited parking space and room to move around a motorhome.

However, you might try Red Oak Tire and Wheel over on 342 hiway just north of Red Oak Rd. Their service bays won't hold a motorhome, but they do have the room out side and are young enough to crawl under a motorhome.

Both of the owners are RV people and nice as can be, more important is that they have always shot me straight and been honest. The are not full mechanics but can handle what it is your looking to have taken care of.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
JVJ

A great all around motorhome repair facility is Blue Moon RV Service. They are located up off of I35 a few miles north of the LBJ Freeway in the Carrollton/Framers Branch border area. They can do mechanics, RV repair, body work, and all the components related to the coach. Nice thing is that they also offer an out call service, they will come to you if you need.

Or you can take the coach to them, their parking lot is gated and fenced for security. They do all makes all models. Matter of fact I need to go up there and drop off an awning to be re-sprung.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Maintenance for Dolphin

Hi JVJ,
Thanks so much for info, I should have provided more on my 99 Dolphin, Ford V10 Gas engine, RV national, 36 ft., 6600 Onan Generator, converted from 30 to 50 amp service. Yes, have been to Red Oak Tire with my other vehicles, completely forgot about them on 342. Great!! Blue Moon RV repair sounds awesome also for repairs.

Have you ever tried Freightliner on I-20 and Bonnie View? I've read on the forums that many people go to Freightliner that is open 24/7/365.

I live at Bob White & S.Westmoreland Rd., Waxahachie.

Thanks again.
Bev
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
JVJ

I'm just over on E. Highland Rd between Westmoreland Rd and Ovilla Rd. Drive by your place a few times a week at a minimum. I'll have to look for your coach the next drive by.

I have used that Freightliner dealer a few times both by driving in and on the back of a tow truck. They are more on the expensive end of the repair cost range. They also don't work by appointment so it is a drop it off and pick it up when it's ready. They are a Freightliner Oasis dealership meaning that they have electric hookups should you need to stay in your coach while waiting or need to keep it plugged in to keep the batteries charged up.

If you join FMCA and then join the Freightliner club you will get I believe it is 10% off of parts and labor by showing your membership card at the dealer.

I replaced my house batteries this last year with batteries from Costco which saved me about $50 on each battery. Still on the original starting battery.

Don't know what size tires you have on your coach, but FMCA has a Advantage Tire account with Michelin Tires that will save you a great deal of money on tire replacements. My Pacifica runs 22.5 tires and the savings for replacing 6 tires was over $1,300.

Nice thing about the V10 being underhood is you can buy parts at almost any auto parts store as opposed to being at the mercy of Freightliner or CAT.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
JVJ

Years ago after I purchased my F250 truck with the V10 I had some ball cap style hats embroidered to rear across the front.

"Triton V-10 Ford's best kept Secret"

I think I still have new cap around here somewhere, would you care to have one?
If so I'll drop one by.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi JVJ,
Just so you know, I went to see Red Oak Tire & Service, they no longer do motorhomes. I went to Freighliner on I-20 and Bonnie View Rds., they can work on
my dolphin, but would cost me extra to get the Ford parts in....they, however, did recommend a place in Mansfield that I am checking out and a Ford dealer in Irving is now working on Ford V10s also....Thanks again for your support. Bev
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Oh gee, you are a neighbor!! Thanks for all the info. I will join Freightliner, FMCA and Ford Chassis clubs. I go to Costco and will check out all my batteries....My tires are still good, but may replace front ones....love Michelin. You have been soooo helpful. I am gated, white pipe fence, blue barn, 2 story brick house....my Dolphin is under a cover, you can see from road. The ball cap would be great, thanks! I will try and send you private message with address and phone number....still learning this website.

Tags
service