Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Reduced engine power

2003 National SeaBreeze LX
50,000 miles 8.1 ltr Chevrolet vortex

While on trip to from Florida to Grand Canyon then to Maine then return to Fl. the engine lost power four times during the trip and coasted to a stop. Luckily we were always in a location where we could pull off, turn off engine, which would be idling then I would restart it like nothing happened.
Message on instrument panel stated; DIMINISHED ENGINE POWER OR REDUCED ENGINE POWER.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix?
Any help appreciated
DAVE
Davea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds like your engine is going into "limp mode". This can be caused by any number of things. You will need to go someplace where they have a diagnostic computer that can bring out any "trouble codes" that are stored in one of the engine computers. Don't just start replacing things until you do this.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are lucky that you made it home. Get to a reputable repair shop that has a good computer and someone that knows what he is doing. ASAP.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This being a chevy I had the same issue with my Chevy 1 ton truck . Computer had no codes and ended up to being low voltage to the computer. There is a fusable link mounted on firewall. This was available from dealer only. We also replaced throttle sensor on foot pedal as this was a common problem item with Chevy.
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
This being a chevy I had the same issue with my Chevy 1 ton truck . Computer had no codes and ended up to being low voltage to the computer. There is a fusable link mounted on firewall. This was available from dealer only. We also replaced throttle sensor on foot pedal as this was a common problem item with Chevy.
There is also a ground strap from the frame to the engine on the right side that would rot out and cause all kinds of electrical issues.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a similar problem with power loss, and code fr Oxy sensor. After clearing code, restart and all fine. Finally a knowledgeable tech told me he was 98% sure the Mass air flow sensor was dirty, triggering error codes. I had it cleaned using special MAF spray and problem gone. Driven over 1500 miles without a hitch. If you have an aftermarket filter like K&N or Banks, be sure the spray is completely dry before reinstalling after service. residue collects on the "hairlike" wires in the sensor, causing loss of power. Worth a try. good luck.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Go to the class A motorhome forum here and search for "reduced engine power." Happened to me and I learned a lot on this forum.
nportner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

Reduced engine power

My 2002 dolphin on the workhorse chassis with the 8.1 was having the same problem. It ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. Was a very common problem in Chevy pick ups with that same engine. Was a relatively cheap fix. Took quite a while to track it down.
dcmtfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

I have a 2007 workhorse 8.1L where is the crankshaft sensor located?
berniece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Similar problem on my 2004 Dolphin 8.1 L. Replacing the frame mounted fuel filter fixed it.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you get a Check Engine Light?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loss of power

Sounds like the same problem I had. After two yrs of diagnosis to no avail, Jon @ the Workhorse performance site told me what to do. Remove the Mass Air Flow sensor and buy a can of special MAF cleaner and clean as directed. Cured my problem. driven now over 4000 miles without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davea View Post
2003 National SeaBreeze LX
50,000 miles 8.1 ltr Chevrolet vortex

While on trip to from Florida to Grand Canyon then to Maine then return to Fl. the engine lost power four times during the trip and coasted to a stop. Luckily we were always in a location where we could pull off, turn off engine, which would be idling then I would restart it like nothing happened.
Message on instrument panel stated; DIMINISHED ENGINE POWER OR REDUCED ENGINE POWER.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix?
Any help appreciated
DAVE
Old 03-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Did you get a Check Engine Light?
No, and you won't when it is a fuel supply problem. If you haven't changed your fuel filter in awhile - do that; it only takes a few minutes.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmtfam View Post
My 2002 dolphin on the workhorse chassis with the 8.1 was having the same problem. It ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. Was a very common problem in Chevy pick ups with that same engine. Was a relatively cheap fix. Took quite a while to track it down.
Now that should bring up a Check Engine light.

Tags
engine, power