Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #15

We are almost done refurbishing our 1997-98 Tropical 6330. Upgrades have included Sumo Springs, new Konis, front steering centering, rear trac bar, roof recoat, new carpet over sound deadening padding, sound deadening in the cockpit floor, firewall and doghouse, full Banks kit with Trans Command and cold air intake, LED lights throughout, new flat screen TVs and a new stereo as well as fixing the heat and the fridge to run properly, upgrading the hitch for an eventual TOAD and installing new LED headlights. Also painted the basement doors and replaced the palm tree decals all around with stuff we like more.

Probably put more money into it than we should but it suits us so, rather than purchase a used DP abd starting over, we figured we'd go for it. Still got some work to do upgrading the bathroom, adding cameras, and I want to put in an induction cooktop.

If you are interested in seeing some pics you can find them on the "What did you do to your old RV today?" thread elsewhere on this site.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interested in having new graphics done on our Dolphin 5342. If you don’t mind we’re you parked out side? How about noise etc? Sounds like you stayed in it during the process. Was the cost in $2-4 k range. Thank you. We’re planning on an Arizona trip soon.
Ukulele doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
If you send RV Graphics pictures they will provide an estimate. There was no noise while they removed the graphics and the area was safe. There are grocery stores within walking distance and places to eat. They are in a strip mall with another one across the street and it has a really good restarurant. Our total cost was right around $3300. for out 39' Tradewinds.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
1997 Tropical

I have a 1997 Tropical and wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have it the way we want. The upgrades I've made are - 1. Replaced the cockpit tv with a new LED, 2. taken out the bathtub and installed a shower with a residential shower faucet, 3. installed new thermostat and control boards in both AC units and installed heat strips in both AC units, 4. removed the factory couch and recliner and installed new recliners, 5. replaced the Dometic fridge with a residential unit, 6. added a automatic power switch, 7. removed the mirror above the bar and installed a large tv, 7. removed the batwing antenna and installed a King Jack antenna, 8. changed all interior light bulbs to led, 9. removed all carpet and replaced with vinyl planks, 10. removed the cabinet doors and shelves below the bar and installed a electric fireplace, 11. replaced entire roof this year and 12. replaced awning fabric this year. Next year I plan to replace the 30 amp electrical system to a 50 amp system. By the way, I've done all the above upgrades myself.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
I have a 1997 Tropical and wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have it the way we want. The upgrades I've made are - 1. Replaced the cockpit tv with a new LED, 2. taken out the bathtub and installed a shower with a residential shower faucet, 3. installed new thermostat and control boards in both AC units and installed heat strips in both AC units, 4. removed the factory couch and recliner and installed new recliners, 5. replaced the Dometic fridge with a residential unit, 6. added a automatic power switch, 7. removed the mirror above the bar and installed a large tv, 7. removed the batwing antenna and installed a King Jack antenna, 8. changed all interior light bulbs to led, 9. removed all carpet and replaced with vinyl planks, 10. removed the cabinet doors and shelves below the bar and installed a electric fireplace, 11. replaced entire roof this year and 12. replaced awning fabric this year. Next year I plan to replace the 30 amp electrical system to a 50 amp system. By the way, I've done all the above upgrades myself.
I'm curious about your swap from 30 to 50amp. A friend has a 35' Surf Side that is only 30amp, yet his genny is a 5000, he has 2 A/Cs, and his panel is a 2 leg, 12 space panel. I don't know about his transfer switch. But is seems that everything he has is set up to be 50 amp except for his coach connector and cables from the connector to the switch and switch to the panel. Is yours the same way? Someone earlier had told me that in 2007 National became so strapped for cash they used whatever parts they had in stock, and my friend's set-up seems to show that.

Al
FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRosebud View Post
I'm curious about your swap from 30 to 50amp.
Me too. What is entailed?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRosebud View Post
I'm curious about your swap from 30 to 50amp. A friend has a 35' Surf Side that is only 30amp, yet his genny is a 5000, he has 2 A/Cs, and his panel is a 2 leg, 12 space panel. I don't know about his transfer switch. But is seems that everything he has is set up to be 50 amp except for his coach connector and cables from the connector to the switch and switch to the panel. Is yours the same way? Someone earlier had told me that in 2007 National became so strapped for cash they used whatever parts they had in stock, and my friend's set-up seems to show that.

Al
I haven't gotten into the details of how I'm going to make the conversion. My panel is only a three wire panel (hot, neutral and ground) so it's not like your friends. What I'm thinking I'll need to do is add another CB panel, run 6ga wire from the transfer switch to the CB panel and then transfer the wiring from the 30 amp CB panel to the new panel. I'll add a couple more plugs inside the motorhome also.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
I haven't gotten into the details of how I'm going to make the conversion. My panel is only a three wire panel (hot, neutral and ground) so it's not like your friends. What I'm thinking I'll need to do is add another CB panel, run 6ga wire from the transfer switch to the CB panel and then transfer the wiring from the 30 amp CB panel to the new panel. I'll add a couple more plugs inside the motorhome also.
Yeah, you'll have to change the panel out. How big is your generator?

Al
FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV parks not allowing "older" RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cneymeyer View Post
Hi all,

We have reached a point where we need to decide whether to refurbish our '05 National TropiCal or replace it with something newer. While some of the new features available in RVs manufactured in recent years are appealing, we really like our floor plan and this unit has served us well over the years.

At this point, we are leaning toward putting keeping it - perhaps doing some updates on the interior, refreshing the exterior graphics and doing necessary maintenance on some things that are wearing out.

Before making a final decision, we'd love to hear some input from people who have undoubtedly been through this decision process. What else should we consider when making our decision? Your input and suggestions are welcome.
Realize your post was a few years ago but for those reading the threads; RV parks more and more are placing year limits on what they will allow.........nothing older than 2005, or 2010, even saw one with a 2012 limit. Something to think about. Of course if you have new decals, fresh paint, maybe you can fudge the year a bit..................still what if they want to see registration?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #24

[QUOTE=Mogulite;4935806]
Quote:
Hi all

At this point, we are leaning toward putting keeping it - perhaps doing some updates on the interior, refreshing the exterior graphics and doing necessary maintenance on some things that are wearing out

FYI, I just got a quote to redo my graphics on my 04 Tropical. $4,300. But another forum poster paid $3,000. My Tropical is a Heritage Edition where the exterior has a bit more complex design.
I did end up having my graphics removed and replaced. The cost ended up being $5,500. They removed the old graphics, removed all oxidation and then polished it. I couldn’t be happier with the job!! It looks like a new coach.
I still want a newer coach but I’m not in any hurry now because have a coach I am proud of.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1997 Tropi-Cal and every time I make reservations at a park that has a 10 year rule I'm honest with them and tell them upfront how old my unit is. All of them have asked me for some pictures which I happily send and so far not one park has denied me reservations. I'm sure there are some upper class parks that wouldn't let me in but I have no desire to visit such locations anyway.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Mogulite;4935806]
Quote:
Hi all

At this point, we are leaning toward putting keeping it - perhaps doing some updates on the interior, refreshing the exterior graphics and doing necessary maintenance on some things that are wearing out

FYI, I just got a quote to redo my graphics on my 04 Tropical. $4,300. But another forum poster paid $3,000. My Tropical is a Heritage Edition where the exterior has a bit more complex design.
I also have a 2004 Tropical, Heritage Model...............Where did you get the quote of $4,300?................guessing it may be more now but I am keeping my Tropical..............Cat 350 is one reason but the interior layout is the main reason.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #27

[QUOTE=National 350;5893426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post

I also have a 2004 Tropical, Heritage Model...............Where did you get the quote of $4,300?................guessing it may be more now but I am keeping my Tropical..............Cat 350 is one reason but the interior layout is the main reason.
Final cost was $5,500 at VIP Enterprises in San Bernardino, southern CA. I couldn’t be happier with what they did.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #28

I had a 2007 Tropical and loved it, especially the floor plan, and haven't found another coach or brand that could match it. We had the T330 with galley on the passenger side and an enclosed bathroom that contained shower, toilet, and vanity, with a side hallway so one could pass from the front to the rear bedroom without going through the bathroom. It was the best floor plan we have ever encountered, for us.

I was at the same point as Mogulite in his opening post. Should I upgrade/update, or sell/replace. The deciding factor for me was the engine. I had a 300hp ISB which was adequate, but marginal, IMO. I also had some issues with bulges on the outside that were not delams, but evidence of rust from the steel frames, a problem not unknown in National RVs. They never got worse, but if I was going to keep it, I would have it repaired correctly. I didn't think I'd be happy putting lots of money into the coach for upgrades and cosmetic repairs with an anemic engine.

Bottom line, I saw an Alpine that had much higher quality cabinetry, a 400hp ISL, and a floor plan that was the "second best" to the Tropical. The price was right so I replaced my TropiCal.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, national, refurbish, replace