Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #1

Remove combo washer-dryer?

Our combo clothes washer-dryer Model WD802M (vented) Lavante-Sechante with label 'made in Italy' has developed a water leak past one or both of the inlet valves(s.) The washer operates fine through all functions so the solenoid coils that operate the valve(s) function as they should, it's a mechanical defect or debris obstructing the valve from positively closing. RepairClinic.com says online that replacement valves are no longer available from the manufacture but I found the following from a Google -- which contains links for repair manual and parts list:

Splendide 2000 - The Laundry Appliance Repair Forum - Do-It-Yourself Appliance Repair Help - ApplianceGuru.com: The Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

Notable is that our combo's manual has "Splendide 2000" hand-written on it along with S/N. When emailing to The Official Site of Splendide Laundry Centers a cordial responder called within 3-4 hours saying they have both valves, the hot priced at $57.29 (part 116102549) and the cold, a double-valve, being $102.06 (part 116102541.) These are the same part numbers listed in the above parts list hyperlink.

Now our motorhome has been in commercial storage for 8 of its 11 years having 13,500 miles when we purchased it a couple of months ago (the PO started and serviced the MH, the genset, etc. several times per year but the washer was last winterized a few years ago by a rv dealer.) Our maiden voyage was for more than a month through the eastern mountain areas, the Blue Ridge Parkway (Mt. Mitchell in NC was a scenic highlight that we had never visited), southern states and just returned home after having to spin out the washer every 3-4 days or so when not routinely using it.

But...how do I access the washer, or better, how can I remove it from its tight closet in my '99 Dolphin? I see how to remove the wood strip at floor in front of the washer. I also see four corner-screws in the bottom of the wardrobe floor above the washer as if removing this 'floor' might help access the washer's top and area behind the washer. This 'floor' has nice finish-caulking around its tightly fitting perimeter to seal the cedar-lined wardrobe. Also, when looking through the cramped 2" high area above the washer, toward the rear wall, I see two screws that appear to secure a holding bracket into this rear wall for the washer (I am seeing heads of the screws that apparently screw into the wall.) None of the NRV manuals explain how to access the washer-dryer.

Any help is appreciated before I begin to explore.

Mac
mac4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

You probably have the problem solved by now but just in case you haven't, remove the wardrobe floor. Remove the top from the WD. Two screws in the rear. Everything you want to work on should be visible there, but if it isn't, you can now get hold of the WD to slide it over the strip on the floor. I used a small flat bar for prying up on the front while I slid the WD forward.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Aww, I shoulda just gathered my tools and done the job rather than cogitate and talk about it. NRV did a fine job of cutting that wardrobe 'floor,' it fits like the stone blocks in Egypt. When I removed the 4 corner screws and cut the caulking loose around the perimeter of the floor I found I could move 3 sides of the floor up while pushing on the fridge paneling -- but the end paneling was still over the 'floor.' The only way NRV messed up for me was that the inside cornice near the left wardrobe door was 4-1/2" too long, it prevented the 'floor' from being raised far enough for removal. Btw, these cornices are 3/4" square, not 1/2" that I previously said. Lacking the proper saw I had to carefully cut this cornice off with the end of a hacksaw blade plus hammer and chisel, but I managed 'not' to damage any wardrobe paneling or finish. I can run a 3/4" finishing strip down the cornice if necessary to cover its rough bottom end. NRV was also ruthless with their 1" brads throughout the cornice, requiring a hacksaw or mostly vice-grips and twisting....this excessive brad usage was likely part of their financial downfall <grin.>

At that point the floor was easily tilted up with one end still under the endwall paneling -- but slid from beneath it when I continued pulling the tilted 'floor' upward. Removed the plywood washer-securing bracket, it being two roughly 6" pieces of 3/8" plywood screwed together at 90 degrees, with one then screwed into the wall and the other screwed into the metal washer-dryer top (with spiral wood screws but they held.)

After removing two 7mm screws for each 'clip' at the 'break' between the washer back and top (that secures the top) I found the top is removed by simply pulling upward at rear (it helps to pry a little with screwdriver), then sliding it toward the front. The solenoid inlet valves were then easily accessible and removed via help from the Splendide repair guide.

I had no luck with vinegar solution or CLR on the hot water valve although the cold valve seemed to work fine. A new hot valve is on its way from Splendide and I should have it this week.

I guess I'll stay with NRV's removing/replacing the wardrobe floor for removing the washer/dryer after finding it's rather easy once the cornice is done correctly. And yeau, I think I'll relocate the water supply valves so they can be easily turned off, especially when thinking of a posting the other day about catastrophic water leakage while the owner was gone. Man, that was a heartache for those folks.

Hopefully this will help someone.

--Mac

PS -- The wood strip at floor in front of the washer-dryer was a breeze to remove (4 screws.)
mac4u is offline   Reply With Quote