Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Removing windows

I have a 2002 Dolphin 5355 and want to take some windows out for repair. The aluminum frame on the outside has no screws. On the inside there is a rubber molding about 1 1/4 wide that is fastened to the frame.
If I pry the molding up and look behind it there are no screws just the wood frame work.
Has anybody been successful in taking out the frame?
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Hi there..l believe I have the same windows. mine have a large rubber flange on The Inside between The Frame and the wall..apparently that rubber piece is pulled away to reveal the screws. I have been researching this very thing myself an d found an article ..I have yet to go out and try it but apparently there is a split on the rubber where you can get a purchase to start peeling it back ... Last time I looked behind the rubber on mine I didn't see anything either but maybe it has to come off In order to actually see the screws.. Next Time i go to the m.h Im going to try it out.. hope this helps
Old 02-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same window type. There are no screws holding it together. The rubber flange was/is a single loop. The cross section is shaped to fit into a groove around the aluminum frame. When they removed the window, they basically pushed the frame, with the rubber still attached from inside starting along the top.

Installing was the opposite. First the rubber flange was installed on the window frame and then pushed into the opening. They really struggled getting it back into the wall and scratched and cut the the rubber.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I tried peeling back the rubber today, I was able to pull about 3 inches away from the frame starting at the split at the top middle of the window .. And as M & Em says There are no scews. however I'm certain I can take the rubber all the way off the inside frame allowing for the window to be pushed out, but I'm worried about getting it back on afterward...there must be a glazing tool or something they would have originally used at the factory to set the rubber into the grooves after the Frame was installed to prevent damage as m&em had
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You can do it, on a previous motorhome, I took all the windows out myself and resealed them. It's a job but its really not that hard, it had leaks around them and the motorhome wasn't all that old. The sealant stopped them.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

Hydro If you use an L shaped tool like a brake tool, to loosen the rubber seal, then spray or wipe the back side of the gasket with WD 40 then peal one edge back and push out as you go make sure you have somebody outside to grab and pull the window at the same time, should come out fairly easy.
Good luck coloradoBob
coloradoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Hydro, what kind of repair?

When we were looking for a Dolphin, I noticed I think it was from 2003 and older, that the windows were sliding down on the outside of the rig. I also looked on the inside to see of the screws on the inside might be loose to allow this, but no screws. I always wondered how they were able to install those windows and why they were sliding down. I guessed the window opening was larger and the windows slid down till they bottomed out.

I think they mightve change windows in 2004 as the ones I looked at had screws on the inside ring for the windows. We bought a 2004 Dolphin.

YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Weird that no one really has experience with these type of windows.. It's even hard to find any details about them on line, ive searched everywhere. I know that the rubber will come off of the inside frame allowing the window to be pushed out, ive started to pull it off of one window ,however it's the method of getting the rubber flange back on after the window is reinstalled that appears to have little or no Info and it doesn't seem very easy
Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I said up in post #3, The rubber was attached to the window frame during removal and also installation. The company I used here in Mesa Az. had to remove and reinstall the window at least 3 times during the year to correct leakage issues and re fogging issues. The owner came to my house and did the removals and installs himself, finding fault with his installer who did the original installation. Each time he was by himself. Each time it took him less then an hour to do the removal and reinstall plus the additional time to disassemble frame, re seal the dual panes and then apply sealant around the top and side edges of outside frame to body.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Here is another post you might want to look at.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/2003-dolphin-windows-173344.html

YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I have semi hijacked hydro's thread here! However Thanks for all the helpful info guys much appreciated ...It would appear that brute force is really the only way to get the window back in. Mine aren't sliding down at all, and have only minor gasket creep.... Mine were leaking where the butyl tape had failed around the frame. Now that everything is sealed again and has stayed dry through a terribly wet winter, I'm not going risk any damage to the walls ive repaired or the rubber ring for the sake of new butyl just yet, I'll keep on top of the sealant for now.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Window Issues for National Coaches

Seemed to me I've seen articles on the windows for our M/H's here, in particular, mine has the window "creep" where the gasket has made interesting art work designs between the panes of glass, another item to address later, I book marked it:

Good Double Pane window article: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/nati...ue-210951.html

Windshield molding article: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/wind...al-101907.html

Hope this helps in removing the frames Hydro.
Regards;
Marv
cyclone429 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window