Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Renovating the Tradewinds - need insight on refridgerator upgrade! Residential vs. MH

Hey everyone,

I have the Tradewinds 395 with a 50A shore service, and the Onan 7500 Geni. We had a water leak that resulted in tearing out the kitchen to properly address. I've gotten to the refer and have a couple of variables for the way forward.

#1: the fridge has never worked in the 2 years I've owned it. The coach is a 2003, and the refer seems original. It does try to turn on, but never ignites on propane and goes to "check" mode - and on shore it does not cycle and stays on "check" also.

#2: We're renovating. I've stripped the interior completely and we have a great opportunity to upgrade appliances across the board.

We do operate the geni while underway because of the kids in the carseats, the gods, and the need for air conditioning. We close the back partition door and the vents in the back, and just run one AC.

So I wanted to see if you guys think its possible to run a residential refer on the geni (Onan 7500) while one AC is running.

I can get a reasonably priced, good residential refer for a whole lot less than the cost of a MH refer.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

- Justin and Brittany
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #2

You can actually run both AC's and the frig on the genny. You may want to upgrade your inverter so you can run your frig off the batteries when you don't need the AC's to run while going down the road.

2017 Riverstone Legacy
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernaire View Post
You can actually run both AC's and the frig on the genny. You may want to upgrade your inverter so you can run your frig off the batteries when you don't need the AC's to run while going down the road.

That is excellent news! To make sure I understand - I can install a residential refer and run it off of the Geni with the ACs?

Also-- how on earth do I get the fridge out, and a new fridge in?! Surely I cant fit them through the door!
Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #4

Yes you can run both AC's and the frig with the genny.

When I replaced my frig in my last MH I went in and out the front door. I had to take off the doors and cooling unit on my Norcold, pulled the pass seat and took off the door latch. Measure the door opening. It will have to be a little over 24 inches. You will have to buy a counter depth frig and take off the doors. You will need at least one helper. Take the old one out and bring the new one in. Easy peasy

2017 Riverstone Legacy
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:13 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
As Northernaire says, no problem running both AC and fridge off of your genny. My genny is smaller and does it (5500). Before you buy your new fridge, get all the measurements to make sure it fits and will fit through the door. Some folks have had to take out their front window to get one in. I did not, as it fit through the door.

Al
Old 08-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

I did it - and happier

My MoHo is a 2001Tradewinds7370. The original fridge was dead when I purchased it from the widow of the original owner.I got a great deal of helpful information from posts here regarding replacing the original fridge with a household fridge.
Getting the old one out was easy by removing the doors, removing the trim and hold down screws (the ones at the back are hidden under some mastic gunk) and the the body went out thru the entry door. I had to make two trips to the hardware store to get the correct caps for the water and gas lines. (We prefer ice cube trays to the wasted freezer space occupied by an icemaker.)
I very carefully measured the entry door opening allowing for the maximum available with with the trim pieces in place. I then search on the Internet to find a fridge that would fit in the rig through the main door even though the new fridge doors would be removed for the process. I found that the width was not a problem. The key element was the available height as the old fridge was sitting on a platform over electrical works. I ended up purchasing a Heier fridge with a three-year warranty and got a great deal at Lowes. Installation was a breeze. I added a small fan at the back-that goes on when the fridge is on because the Heier has cooling in the side walls. Easy Peasy!
ccxnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaTV View Post
That is excellent news! To make sure I understand - I can install a residential refer and run it off of the Geni with the ACs?

Also-- how on earth do I get the fridge out, and a new fridge in?! Surely I cant fit them through the door!
I have the same unit and it depends on the size refrigerator that is currently in the coach. What we came up with as mine has the large refrigerator is to take the window out behind the passenger chair and it will slip out. You have to have someone that is very good with forks to do the job. I was going to do that but too much carpentry work etc so I just replaced cooling tower. Yes it is expensive but what is not.
Revleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:00 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
So as a quick update-

I was able to get the old New Dimensions fridge out. I took the handles off the doors and put it on a furniture dolly- because I have a bunch of seals to do, I just removed the Entry door and the door frame, and that gave me just enough room. We decided were going to go with a smaller residential fridge.

So because we had some water damage that required me to take the kitchen out, we decided to just empty the forward section of the coach from the bathroom to the dash and start fresh.

Now that I have removed the old fridge, and Im putting in a new residential, any ideas for what to do with the old side vent and roof vent for the old unit? Im going to enclose the new fridge in new cabinetry, so Id think one or both vents would be useful for ventilation.

Were documenting our project thoroughly and will post a link to a video at one point when were done. 😎
Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revleroy View Post

I have the same unit and it depends on the size refrigerator that is currently in the coach. What we came up with as mine has the large refrigerator is to take the window out behind the passenger chair and it will slip out. You have to have someone that is very good with forks to do the job. I was going to do that but too much carpentry work etc so I just replaced cooling tower. Yes it is expensive but what is not.
What year is your coach? I have to take a couple of windows out to reseal and cant figure out how to get the black strip off from either the inside or the outside so the window can come out of the opening. Any insight?

Tags
fridge, upgrade, wind