Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Replace grey water tank

Hello,
We own a National TropiCal 1999 on a Ford F53 chassis.
This week the silent block of the rear suspension ripped off and made a hole in the grey tank.
I suppose a Ford dealer or a truck repair service can replace the silent block, but does somebody know if it is possible to replace the grey tank and how this can be done or who is able to do that (Lazy Days, CW ?).
Very gratefull for any suggestions ...

René
Herinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #2

Depending on hole size, after the tank is flushed and cleaned, almost any auto body shop can Plastic-weld a patch over the hole. If you are a DIY guy you can buy the plastic-welding kit, a sheet of the same material as the tank, practice as needed, then DIY.

If you prefer a new replacement tank, check out this website: https://www.tank-depot.com/browse.as...%20Tanks%7CBMM
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thank you very much.
See the attached picture. The plate in the red circle pushed the hole in the grey tank. I honestly can't see how that hole can be welded, the bottom of the tank is torn open completely and the tank is behind the bottom of the coach.
There is no way to get to the tank from under the RV and you can't get to it from the side compartments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_0901.png
Views:	29
Size:	940.6 KB
ID:	368224  
Old 06-14-2022, 01:49 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would assume your 99 Tropical and my 99 Dolphin are similar construction. In the rear water bay compartment on drivers side there is a panel that can be removed, you can see the fresh water tanks from there. On the rear passenger side compartment there also is a panel that can be removed to see the gray tank. In the basement just in front of the rear axle there is a panel in the middle that can be removed to see the black tank. When I had those panels off it seemed like the tanks could be slid out that way. Would probably need to cut hole in floor to access the vent lines. My Dolphin has a tag axle, if your Tropical doesn't the tanks may be layed out different.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Smile

Thank you very much for your feedback, chboone, it is very helpful !
I will look at it first thing in the morning.

In the meantime I found out that the part I thought was a silent block is called a rubber spring assembly from the company MoRryde, see

file:///D:/Amerika_2022/_pech%20met%20de%20grey%20tank/SMART-ryde%20Tag%20Axle%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Page 4/11 and 8/11.
It belongs to the tag axle.

My National TropiCal also has a tag axle, so it should be about the same lay-out.
One more question: where and how exactly did you make the hole(s) in the floor to get access to the vent lines.
Do you perhaps also know where I can get a new grey tank?
Old 06-15-2022, 01:34 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't cut holes in floor to access the tanks. I found out how the tanks were layed out and how to access them when replacing the drain valves 4 - 5 years ago. I replace the rubber springs for the tag 10 years ago.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:48 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
OK. In the meantime I found out how to get access to the grey tank: by removing the tag axle wheel at the right side.
Today I ordered 2 spring assemblies, I have an appointment next friday to have them installed. I will ask the same company if they can remove the grey tank. I don't thnk it is something you can do on a campground.
Thank you for your advice!
Old 09-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #8

Have you been able to resolve the grey water tank issue? I have a leak in mine and have been trying to figure out the best way to gain access to the tank.
Ranger497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:12 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Grey tank issue

Hello Ranger497,

Unfortunately I still have not resolved the issue with the grey water tank.
End of oktober I have an appointment at a RV repair service to look at it and give an estimate to replace the tank.
Attached is a picture on which you can see how you should be able to get access to the tank. The room where the tank is located, is behind the tag axle wheel at the passenger side. On the picture you can see the front plate that has to be removed. Best is probably to remove the tag axle wheel first. On the left side you can see the wires that go to the sensors of the tank.
The company that makes the tanks might be Icon Direct, see: https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...ter-End-Drain/
I hope this has been helpful to you ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Access grey tank.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	377687  
Old 10-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #10

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately my tank froze this past winter because I had to go up north and was having trouble finding a place to dump my tanks. The day started in the low 70s and the next morning a cold front blew in and it was 25 degrees. My fault for not paying attention to the weather. Again thanks that is much help.
Ranger497 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, tank, water