Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Replace or Repair Refrigerator

Well my 2nd Dometic Cooling Unit went out on my fridge in the MH. The original lasted 11 years and the 2nd one only lasted 6 years. Would I be better off having a household unit installed or replacing the cooling unit again?

Anyone replaced theirs with a household fridge? How much was it?

And how long will it last?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Junk it.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced my 19 year old Dometic 3862 with a residential last year.

The majority of our travels we have shore power so its worked out good.

I also installed an inverter to run it while traveling and when boondocking. The inverter worked ok while traveling, but I'm in the process of doing upgrades to the coach 12 volt system to get better service while boondocking. i.e. replace group 24 batteries with GC-2 batteries, installing larger cables for the inverter, etc.

Residential Frig Replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my norcold 1200 with a Samsung French door 24 inch deep model. The fringe was 1000 and the install about 250 with my help. There are countless threads on this forum to search and learn from
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would depend on how much boondocking you do. Measure the opining and Home Depot sells a small top freezer refrigerator that fits perfectly in the opening of the Norcold 2 door top freezer refrigerator.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I will come at this from a slightly different angle. Do you like your current fridge as far as capacity and ease of use or are you looking for something different? If you like the fridge and would prefer to avoid all the work associated with converting to a household unit, have you considered a compressor driven replacement cooling unit from JC Refrigeration? They get good reviews. Personally that is the direction I am going this Fall when I get home. The only issue that can keep this upgrade from being a simple swap is that the unit needs some extra space between the fridge and the coach wall. In my case it is about 11/2 inches. I am going to pull the fridge out 2 inches with a new face frame. I will still be back from the stored edge of my sliding door next to the fridge so I will not lose and width into the rear end of the coach. The unit is offered with an AC or DC compressor. I am not a fan of inverters. It is an inefficient use of battery capacity. Your coach is basically a 12 volt box so why not stay with 12 volts for this important component.
ZZJEA posted his fridge conversion project on here some time ago. In my opinion, he did it right and posted lots of pictures. Your situation should be the same as his, which is also the same as mine.
As I said earlier, I am keeping my existing box and installing a 12 volt JC unit.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
It would depend on how much boondocking you do. Measure the opining and Home Depot sells a small top freezer refrigerator that fits perfectly in the opening of the Norcold 2 door top freezer refrigerator.
Do you have the model number?

Thanks
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, refrigerator, repair, replace