Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Had an appointment at Freightliner today to do a field service campaign while there I asked them to check the coolant. This is on a 2004 Tropi-Cal with a Cat 350. Freightliner was unable to tell me the type of coolant was installed since from the over flow it was clear and from the petcock it was a light tea color. The recommendation was that I Replace all the coolant with ELC to the tune of $104 for materials. I am now good for 3 years then I add an extender which takes me out another 3 years. Seems like a rip off to me. They guessed I already had ELC but could not guarantee it so recommended full replacement.
Has anyone else had this problem?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Had an appointment at Freightliner today to do a field service campaign while there I asked them to check the coolant. This is on a 2004 Tropi-Cal with a Cat 350. Freightliner was unable to tell me the type of coolant was installed since from the over flow it was clear and from the petcock it was a light tea color. The recommendation was that I Replace all the coolant with ELC to the tune of $104 for materials. I am now good for 3 years then I add an extender which takes me out another 3 years. Seems like a rip off to me. They guessed I already had ELC but could not guarantee it so recommended full replacement.
Has anyone else had this problem?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #3

based on current labor rates that looks like a reasonable price for a radiator flush. After three years probably time for a change anyway.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Our rig runs the so called extended long life coolant(Dexcool) but I have changed mine every 3 yrs in the past on vehicles with it and intend to do it with this MH. Had to many radiator repair people tell me that the extended stuff is not all its cut out to be.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:37 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have never believed that we have anything that will run 100,000 miles on the orginal parts except a diesel. On my JD tractor they have and additive for the coolant to aid the antifreeze for sleeved cylinders.

I replaced my Dexcool with good old Prestone. I did it for 2 reasons.

1) It looked contaminated....

2) To many post on the net about Dexcool problems,

I did my own replacement in shop using a flushing "T" and some 1" hose. Total cost was about $20.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bdpreece:
Has anyone else had this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The color of your antifreeze certainly indicates a problem. The new ELC they added sounds like an OAT formualtion and its major advantage besides the extend life is no need for adding SCA's; just need to check yearly that color stays red and no floating debris in sample.

The price of ELC at retail is about $15/gallon plus shipping= which usually drives price up to ~$22+ per gallon.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
$105 sounds down rite reasonable to me. I to believe in changing antifreeze every few yrs, phooey on extended anything, I'll pay for the security.

Hey Oemy what did you fill it with for $20, oops thats right, gas motor, miniscule cooling system.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That wasn't very nice.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers

Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #10

Hey Steverino, no flame wars here. But I'll put my hill gobbling gasser against your diesel any time. Missed you in Branson. But Yakov was good. Hey, did you ever notice the first half of Diesel is "Die"?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Who's Flaming??? I'm just bustin on my pal Oemy, I think your flaming on my DIEsel
My Diesel is a bad Mammer Jammer, look out. Once ya go DIEsel ya never go back. And where else is an oil change only $200.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad enough in our business we have to deal with the SCAQMD, but since we have a gasser, we won't have to worry about the ARB and any retrofits.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #13

If a diesl engine rig goes around a gas engine rig going up a hill, is that called "Passing Gas?"
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
well I'm willing to bet that if that gasser was carrying anothe 10,000 lbs, it will get passed. That's if we do a fair comparison, now that's passin gas.