Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replacing Entry Door Handle / lock

I am looking for some advice, I am replacing the Bargman L300 door handle with a Bauer BP-12RV, very similar in dimension but much better made. The problem is the strike plate. It is behind the door frame and it appears I have to remove the frame partially to get it out, make the cut out in the frame larger for the large strike plate due to the built in dead bolt, and put the frame back with out damage. Has any one done this and do you have suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	338086   Click image for larger version

Name:	door 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	338087  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

Can you use a dremel and slice along the leading edge of the door, unscrew it, and then slide it out?

Then make your cuts for the new one and install it.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Will be following as I need to do this too.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, got it done. Removed the bottom 5 screws in the threshold, plus the plastic wedge on the bottom left (rear). Removed the white weatherstrip that fits in a track on the door jamb frame. Removed all of the screws on the left side (rear) of the jamb. Gentle pried up the jamb thru the mid section of the jamb. About 3-4 feet. The threshold seems to keep the left side jamb in place at the bottom. Once the jamb was loose, I was able to get the strike plate out, wiggle the plate, rotate the jamb. Cut the jamb out to fit the new strike plate using a dremel with a grinding disk on the top of the existing cut out, the Bauer handle lines up with the existing strike plate, and it could work if you did not want the built in dead bolt lock to work, so you are cutting out the jamb for the new plate with deadbolt hole.
On the door you will need to drill out the holes in the metal door frame for the two pins to 1/2 inch, the Bauer handle has the pins press fit into the handle body, they do not screw out like the Bargman. Then I had to slightly enlarge the hole for the handle to allow the deadbolt assembly to also fit in the hole. Then measured up from a centerline of the pin holes to drill a 3/8 hole for the dead bolt thru the door, Install the handle first to make sure you know where the deadbolt is and where you want the hole. Squared off the hole with a file, test fit everything, then closed the door to center the strike plate, tightened everything up and tested operation. The cut out for the handle in the door is large, I ended up with a very small gap in the upper rear outside corner of the handle, and the inside edge closest to the jamb, both covered easily with caulk.
Then taped my caulk lines, put a small bead of caulk between the edge of the jamb and the wall of the motorhome, put all the screws in the jamb and the threshold in to squeeze out the caulk, tooled the caulk line. tested the door again and done.

Works great. Pictures below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210802_095511.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	338146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210802_161910.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	338147  

Name:	20210802_161929.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	338148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210802_161934.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	338149  

Name:	20210802_161948.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	338150  
Old 08-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the write-up, Glenn. So are you saying that the strike plate only needs to be changed if you are using the Bauer's built in deadbolt? I plan on keeping my existing deadbolt so wouldn't need the Bauer's. Sounds like this might be a good solution with minimal fuss if I am understanding you correctly.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, the plates are the same, except for the deadbolt receiver on top. You will still need to drill out the two holes for the pins on the door, they are press fit on the Bauer and screw fit on the L300.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #7

How thick is your door? Mine is 2".

Tags
door, entry door