Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacing the BLUE Carpet

I'd like to meet the interior designer of some of these motor homes and hang them up by their TOES!!!!
We have a 1999 Sea View 8330 that we just purchased, and it has the worst BLUE carpet ever!!! I'm sorry if i'm offending you if you have the same horrible blue carpet and you like it... but as my dad says... "Some people have a lot of taste, all of it in their mouths!!"
We have 1 slide in the front with the booth and couch (we've had those re-covered to get rid of the 80s at a cost of almost $1000) and the only thing left blue in the whole coach is the carpet...
I had a couple of estimates given to me by very reputable rv Interior people here in Denver, and I almost fell out of my shoes when i heard the cost... Anywhere from $4,500 to $8,500... ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!? I could have my house, your house, your neighbors house, my sisters house, her neighbors house, the church down the block, and the local convention center carpeted for that amount...
I was told it has to do with the amount of labor involved and issues with the slide...
Has anyone had this done, or done this on their own??? Can it be done for less than the cost of 3 semesters at a good state school???
Does anyone have any suggestions??? Anyone?? ANYTHING????
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Lots of folks replace the carpet with laminate or wood. Plenty of posts on this in the National forum. I used Miliken carpet tiles. They make some that don't require glue to hold them. They are easier to work with then regular carpet. I bought mine on line from a clearance outfit and got free shipping. If memory serves me my total $ cost was around 350.00. If you're interested I'll look for the web site.

BTW, I tried to get my Lowes to lay the carpet based on their home advertisements of free or 99.95, they just laughed. Check with them or HD to see if their installers would do it. I'm sure it won't be what you've been quoted.

Can't help my self---is it shag carpet--LOL LOL
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I had to replace the carpet in my 2001 Dolphin due to water damage(and just not liking having carpet in a motorhome). I replaced it with cushioned loose lay vinyl. It was a very time consuming job. Not hard but lots of time.

To make a long story short. If you are going to pay someone to work on an RV it's going to be expensive because it's very time consuming. If you can do lot of the labor yourself it is not so expensive, but takes time.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Uh....one other idea......reconsider disliking BLUE!! :-) Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue carpet

The cost of replacing carpet in a motorhome is directly proportional to the labor involved.

Since there is LOTS of cutting, trimming and custom wrapping of carpet, it is very expensive.

Think vinyl or laminate flooring, except the doghouse and bedroom. The doghouse is where most of the labor hours come from as that takes the most cutting, trimming wrapping and fitting.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have loved to see the writers face with an $8500 estimate.

You dont cut the carpet to the coach unless you are a hack. You remove the cabinents/dinette/couch, etc to lay it like the factories do.

If an installer cant rerug a dog house in an hours time... I would not use them.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Uh....one other idea......reconsider disliking BLUE!! :-) Rook
I was telling my brother and sister-in-law what i found out and my sister-in-law said "I've got a great fix for you... Its free, and it will solve all your problems... Repeat after me... I love blue carpet....I love blue carpet... I love blue carpet..."
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Blue carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
I was telling my brother and sister-in-law what i found out and my sister-in-law said "I've got a great fix for you... Its free, and it will solve all your problems... Repeat after me... I love blue carpet....I love blue carpet... I love blue carpet..."
I bet you have the same blue (powder blue) carpet that I have, next summer it is coming out and laminate flooring going in. I also dislike carpeting in a motor home, in fact, I dislike it in my home, I have hardwood floors. My previous motor home, a Bounder had carpet, I ripped it out and put laminate flooring, worked out well, look great and easy up keep. The old girl has a throw rug fetish and there were plenty of those around.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We removed carpet this summer and installed Allure, looks great, not hard to do. Kept the carpet under the driver and passenger seat, slide and bedroom. Have the Allure in the living room, kitchen, hall and bath, looks just like a wood floor. Cost was around $300!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	15754  
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
We removed carpet this summer and installed Allure, looks great, not hard to do. Kept the carpet under the driver and passenger seat, slide and bedroom. Have the Allure in the living room, kitchen, hall and bath, looks just like a wood floor. Cost was around $300!!

I've not heard of allure flooring before... What is it where can you buy it??? I'm thinking of taking out some of the blue carpet, kind of like you did... I also am nNOT a fan of carpet at ALL...
You'll have to show us some pictures of the finished product so i can get an idea of what i need to do...
What did you do in the entry way stairs? What did you use for a trim piece?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For every color of carpet sold today.. there is someone who wants that color. In the case of your 1999 RV, whomever first ordered it back in 1999, Requested BLUE, don't blame the designer, Blame the original purchaser.

Some folks. Like me.. (And I did train with the intent of becoming an Engineer, which is a type of designer) are more or less color ignorant.. (Actually slightly color blind) this means.. i really don't care what color it is.. But the BLUE was requested by the original owner.

At least that was my experience... They gave wife and I choices. She choose the color. since as stated.. To me it's a wall, not a white wall, not a patterned wall, not a wood wall, it's a wall period.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
I'd like to meet the interior designer of some of these motor homes and hang them up by their TOES!!!!
We have a 1999 Sea View 8330 that we just purchased, and it has the worst BLUE carpet ever!!! I'm sorry if i'm offending you if you have the same horrible blue carpet and you like it... but as my dad says... "Some people have a lot of taste, all of it in their mouths!!"
We have 1 slide in the front with the booth and couch (we've had those re-covered to get rid of the 80s at a cost of almost $1000) and the only thing left blue in the whole coach is the carpet...
I had a couple of estimates given to me by very reputable rv Interior people here in Denver, and I almost fell out of my shoes when i heard the cost... Anywhere from $4,500 to $8,500... ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!? I could have my house, your house, your neighbors house, my sisters house, her neighbors house, the church down the block, and the local convention center carpeted for that amount...
I was told it has to do with the amount of labor involved and issues with the slide...
Has anyone had this done, or done this on their own??? Can it be done for less than the cost of 3 semesters at a good state school???
Does anyone have any suggestions??? Anyone?? ANYTHING????

If you are driving through San Antonio sometime - you might want to give the guys at http://www.txrvsupply.com/ Texas RV a call - they have a husband and wife contractor that did a wonderful job on my Dolphin for under $2000 last year. Don't have a business card for the installers, but just ask the manager at the RV repair desk. Pretty sure the carpet installers name is Al.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a 1999 National Dolphin with probably the same light blue carpet! I know the feeling. To sum it up, we pulled all the carpet out...replaced the bedroom area with laminant wood flooring, the bathroom area with tile, and the front was recarpeted. The recarpeting was the tricky part b/c I couldn't find anyone who would lay it. Sound familiar? I kept trying and found a carpet layer (well known for good work) who took on the job for around $600 (I think). He worked on it ALL day and did a great job. When he was done he said, "Never again! No RVs for me" It all turned out well though.

If I had it to do over I'd have laid the laminant wood floor front to back.....in hinesight.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Beachhous - I sent you an email about the Allure. It's made by TrafficMaster for Home Depot.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote