Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Residential Refrigerator in a National Pacifica

Hello,

Looking for information on installing a residential fridge in a slideout for a National Pacifica. I am concerned about height and loosing the heat ducts under the Norcold I have now. Help?

Tom National Pacifica TE40B
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Tom, check out apartment size units, I found lots of units that will fit into RV spaces.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Hi, I have done that. I am concerned about rerouting furnace ducts are redoing the wood surround. Tom
Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM356C View Post
Hi, I have done that. I am concerned about rerouting furnace ducts are redoing the wood surround. Tom

Tom you will have to do some re work but to keep it easy and to a minimum it will have to probably be an apartment style as Rick stated. If you go to some of the big box stores websites I think they have search criteria you can put in to bring up options. There are some recent threads on here about those. When looking don’t forget the depth of the new fridge.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What fridg do you have now and what size space do you have to work with.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Refer

U need to do a little homework. I just finished putting a res refer in my GF's fifth wheel. She is happy, always a good thing.
I assume the refer u have now has a manf and model number. U can get the dimensions from the owners manual or on the web. Buy accordingly.
From your hose comment I assume the refer sits on a shelf above them. Should be out of the way.
Goodluck
biking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #7

I installed a Samsung 18 cf residential refer in a slide out of my 38 ft 5er. Fortunately it fit in the front door, but my old RV fridge was 24 inches wide and the Samsung was 33 inches wide requiring me to do some cabinet work and remove a sleeping sofa. I also had to install water into the slide out and secure the new fridge and figure out exactly how without interfering with the slide out operation.
Before you do anything. Measure everything 3 times and figure out how you will secure the new fridge as well as how to keep the doors closed while on the road, add water for ice and dispenser, and 110 inverter power to the fridge while on the road. If you don’t have a table saw, a driver drill and experience working with your hands in all disciplines this may well be beyond your capability.

Thankfully as an ex home builder I not only had tools but the know how to overcome all obstacles. I also own a wire feed welder and metal working tools so I could fabricate custom made steel mounts. Securing a top heavy fridge in a slide out is hard and there are limited ways to secure the fridge. I ended up really beefing up the undercarriage of the fridge and drilling through the floor and securing the fridge both front and rear as well as on top. Remember also no holes through the fridge box anywhere to prevent hitting a cooling tube behind the outer skin. I have built houses and restored many 60s muscle cars and still found the securing the fridge the hardest part without drilling into the fridge body. I used existing door hinge bolts, the front leveling feet already in place so no holes and use of VHB double sided tape to secure door and freezer closers, as well as custom brackets. I’m not trying to dissuade you but you need to be aware of all the what’s needed to add a residential fridge beyond the obvious cabinet work. Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I installed a Samsung 18 cf residential refer in a slide out of my 38 ft 5er. Fortunately it fit in the front door, but my old RV fridge was 24 inches wide and the Samsung was 33 inches wide requiring me to do some cabinet work and remove a sleeping sofa. I also had to install water into the slide out and secure the new fridge and figure out exactly how without interfering with the slide out operation.

Before you do anything. Measure everything 3 times and figure out how you will secure the new fridge as well as how to keep the doors closed while on the road, add water for ice and dispenser, and 110 inverter power to the fridge while on the road. If you don’t have a table saw, a driver drill and experience working with your hands in all disciplines this may well be beyond your capability.

Thankfully as an ex home builder I not only had tools but the know how to overcome all obstacles. I also own a wire feed welder and metal working tools so I could fabricate custom made steel mounts. Securing a top heavy fridge in a slide out is hard and there are limited ways to secure the fridge. I ended up really beefing up the undercarriage of the fridge and drilling through the floor and securing the fridge both front and rear as well as on top. Remember also no holes through the fridge box anywhere to prevent hitting a cooling tube behind the outer skin. I have built houses and restored many 60s muscle cars and still found the securing the fridge the hardest part without drilling into the fridge body. I used existing door hinge bolts, the front leveling feet already in place so no holes and use of VHB double sided tape to secure door and freezer closers, as well as custom brackets. I’m not trying to dissuade you but you need to be aware of all the what’s needed to add a residential fridge beyond the obvious cabinet work. Paul R. Haller

Yep.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a Whirlpool 10.7/11 qf refrigerator with ice maker. It is less than 62inches tall/24inches wide and 21inches deep without doors. The doors are 4inches deep because you can put 1gal jugs in the door shelves. I had removed a 1200 Norcold so I had room to build a 7&1/2inch pantry along side of the fridge.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the input. My big issue is all of the electrical/plumbing/heat ducts are in the slide under the refridgerator. That is why I inquired specifically about the National Pacifica. I have looked at a dozen units & cannot decide what to go with.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

Our fifth wheel refrigerator basically sat on a shelf with all the ductwork and elec positioned under the shelf. If you are getting the same size refrig, just leave the shelf in place along with the ductwork and elec. We replaced our 8.1 Norcold with a 10.3 Haire in the same space.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Residential Refrigerator in a National Pacifica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM356C View Post
Thanks for the input. My big issue is all of the electrical/plumbing/heat ducts are in the slide under the refridgerator. That is why I inquired specifically about the National Pacifica. I have looked at a dozen units & cannot decide what to go with.

Are you replacing a 1200 model?
Those issues should only come into play if you’re wanting to increase the size. If you work within the original opening and platform it shouldn’t be a problem. You could do what speedracer did or look into the Expensive FF model that seems to fit the opening.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #13

I have a Tradewinds model, but did have to relocate one heating duct to allow room for our 17 cu ft Whirlpool fridge. I'm still working on closing out the opening (added storage due to narrower residential fridge). Once it's done I'll post all the pictures.

Rob

Tags
fridge, national