Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Reviews, thoughts and things to check on 2003 Tradewinds 395LE?

Good afternoon!

I am possibly closing on a 2003 Tradewinds 395LE diesel pusher, Cat330 on the Spartan chassis. I've read some really good things about the National brand, and the Cat motor. I was looking for a Monaco coach for a while and we stumbled upon this one. The floor plan is really nice, it looks clean, kept well, paint is in great shape, etc. Our idea is to get into something to start with and look at possibly upgrading as we learn and grow.

I'm a dedicated GC, so I plan on pulling carpet and putting nice laminate flooring in and doing some basic upgrading inside the coach. But as far as everything else goes, I wanted to see if there was any suggestions or reviews on this particular model, both good and bad?

Thanks!
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #2

I don't know much at all about this particular model but having just purchased a used 1998 Tropi-Cal with the same general idea in mind I can give you a few things to look for.

Cosmetic things are easy. The biggest problems I have found is fixing ostensibly simple, functional parts. The problem is you never know who made them. Just make sure everything you can think of testing works and I mean everything! Test the lights, blinkers, the delay wipers, the generator, the air conditioning units, the furnace, the refrigerator on both propane and electricity, all of the in dash components such as the air conditioning and heater, make sure that the grey and black water tank level indicators function properly, check the water pump for the onboard water system, any and all vent fans, the leveling system if you have one, electric seats, and any slides you might have. Don't forget the electric step, take a look at how old the house batteries are, check the stove. Make sure all the charging circuitry works on both generator and Shore power. Check the plugs and sockets for all types of power, both on the dashboard and in the house.

Then take it for a drive and see how it handles curves and especially going up and down into driveways as into a shopping center or something like that. Pay special attention to body roll and listen for clunks from the suspension. Check the tires for dry rot.

Doing all of these things will give you an idea of what you might have to upgrade or replace and a better idea if the price you are paying is a good one. The only regret I have is not knowing that some of the components I needed to replace that I I felt were going to be obvious Ford products were not, thus making sourcing and replacement a bit of a chore. Other than that, enjoy!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Check the dates on all the tires, if they are close to 7 years old you might want to dicker on the price. I run Michelins on my Tradewinds, expensive, but in 14 years I have had no problems with them.
Also check the maintenance records on her if available.

We bought our Tradewinds in 2004 and have yet to find a MH we would trade her for. National built a great product, this is why you seldom see them on lots for sale, even the gassers.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #4

Let me know if you get it, I may need some information from you.
Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
Let me know if you get it, I may need some information from you.
Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
Hey Wm! Yes we did end up buying! DM me if you'd like!
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #6

2003 National Tradewinds

I have one and my wife and I really enjoy it. I do my own work on it for the most part. We have put about 20K trouble free.

Steve
Tee1up2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

I took ours to the local Catepillar service center and had them go over the whole coach. They changed all the engine oil and filters, generator oil and filters, changed the transmission fluid and filter and flushed the coolant system and refilled with new antifreeze. As well as a chassis inspection.
Yep, It was very expensive, but now I know what I have and have a base line to go from.

Wm Mayberry
Palmetto, FL
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
I took ours to the local Catepillar service center and had them go over the whole coach. They changed all the engine oil and filters, generator oil and filters, changed the transmission fluid and filter and flushed the coolant system and refilled with new antifreeze. As well as a chassis inspection.
Yep, It was very expensive, but now I know what I have and have a base line to go from.

Wm Mayberry
Palmetto, FL
I totally agree with the above statement, ours has been great for 10 years of travelling. now we full time. Great product.