Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

Rhino Sewer Hose Connector

Purchased a new Rhino sewer hose and realized the connector won't fit through the port ring. So each time we have to unscrew the hose from the connector to get it through, doing this causes leaking. I noticed Rhino uses vaseline around the hose near the connector, I assume to prevent leaking, so we added a jar of it to the bay. However, we really don't want to have to remove the hose from the connector each time. I think my only options are to trim down the connector ticks or cut a wider hole in the bay and install a larger diameter port ring. Any other suggestions?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Purchased a new Rhino sewer hose and realized the connector won't fit through the port ring. So each time we have to unscrew the hose from the connector to get it through, doing this causes leaking. I noticed Rhino uses vaseline around the hose near the connector, I assume to prevent leaking, so we added a jar of it to the bay. However, we really don't want to have to remove the hose from the connector each time. I think my only options are to trim down the connector ticks or cut a wider hole in the bay and install a larger diameter port ring. Any other suggestions?
Assuming its the 4 lugs that are jamming, I'd be nervous about removing much material since that could weaken the connection. RV supply stores such as Camping World sell port rings with screw in covers. It shouldn't be too big a job to enlarge the hole.

Another approach might be to permanently attach one of these, so that your hose attaches below the floor instead of having to go through the hole every time:
Clearview 5" Sewer Adapter with Bayonet Lugs - Valterra T1021 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

Rhino to big

My Rhino hose is also to large for the port hole. National RV did not align
my port hole directly under the connection so a clearview extension is not
an option. I ground down my hose connector yesterday but have not tried it yet. I think it will work now. I have had a very hard time getting it connected but have not had to take the hose end off.

Mike
07 Pacifica QS40c
MBMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMyers View Post
I ground down my hose connector yesterday but have not tried it yet. I think it will work now.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Let me know if it fits.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ground down the things that protrude off the Rhino fitting. Works fine now. You are not going to weaken anything - I'm not even sure what those things are there for other than to give a better drip when attaching to the male connector. If you do not want to grind down the fitting, you can always buy a compartment hose that will fit through the port and then connect the Rhino outside. I did that first, but it is an added nuisance.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If the clear plastic extension doesn't work, how about a short hose 'permanently' hooked up so you can connect under the compartment? Since the fittings can be removed from the hose, you could cut a section of hose just long enough to extend through the floor and reattach the ends. If things don't line up perfectly, the flexible hose would allow for a 'jog.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I unscrewed the plastic trim rim from the inside and removed it. With that out of the way, the hose fits up in there easily. When we unhook, I just set the trim back in the hole with no screws holding it in place to close up the bay. It doesn't go anywhere and makes it convenient for the next hookup. Tried the 10" extension and that didn't work as well as this.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
This short hose will eliminate the need for modifications:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ion-hose/44140

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You are aware that the end that screws or sits into the parks sewer drain comes off the white plastic 90 degree "pipe" with a one quarter turn twist?
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RHINO

I used a band saw to cut the lugs off a year ago and everything works wonderful. I also use a 45 degree clear elbow with no problem on my 02 Dolphin.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Idid the same thing, cut off the lugs and it works wonderful.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I've been disconnecting the hose from the connector for over 2 years and never and never thought to grind/cut the lugs off the side of the connector. Great idea and I'll be doing that the next time. After of course getting it nice and tight and vasolined. Thanks for a great tip!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I've been disconnecting the hose from the connector for over 2 years and never and never thought to grind/cut the lugs off the side of the connector. Great idea and I'll be doing that the next time. After of course getting it nice and tight and vasolined. Thanks for a great tip!
I'm glad I'm not the only one ... I'll have to try this easy mod too.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

Well I feel kind of dumb. I have been removing / reinstalling the connector each time and oftentimes flailing at it while trying to get it put back on. Am going to go grab it and shave off those danged lugs! ;-)
TABA is offline   Reply With Quote