Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

roof antenna

cannot get any signal from my roof antenna? I have 3 coax cables coming in
in the cabinet next to my built in little old tv. I tried to connect all 3 of these
coax cables and still no signal? I know one of the incoming cable is from a
satellite dish on the roof which I know wont work as I have never had it hooked up or tried using it. one of the other cables comes from my roof mounted antenna which I raised my antenna In the upright position but I
get nothing? tv message says no signal. very strange since my next door
neighbor has the same antenna and when he raises his antenna he gets
2 or 3 channels on his tv? very frustrating. any suggestions?
maybe I should just break down and get a sling box or a tailgater satellite
dish so I can watch tv in my motorhome? I am too cheap to spend the money. anyway u would think I would get at least a couple of channels with
my roof mounted antenna? thanks
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #2

You do know that all TV signal is now digital. If you TV is not capable of digital reception you won't get a signal. You may need to either replace the TV or get a digital converter box.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Many RV's have a small box or panel with switches to select satellite, DVD or antenna TV. If you have one of those the switch is probably in the wrong position. Just my thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless your rig qualifies as an Antique (And perhaps not even then) your rooftop antenna has an amplifier built in. This amp REQUIRES POWER

now, Your RV should have one of two things.

A wall plate, with a switch, a light, a 12 volt outlet and an antenna connector.. This is the power supply (Among other things However make sure there really is something hooked to the back of it (Yes, I've seen where a prior owner ripped out ALL the wires hooked to that box)

The other is a Box of many buttons" They are in groups, like TV-1, VCR, TV-2 and so on, and in each group are switches for ANT CABLE Sat and other things (Save no VCR in the VCR group).

Again, This box should have a power button on the left end and that is the power supply

All signals must go THROUGH the power supply

AND... NO devices between it and the antenna save Coax. a blukhead connector and.. A Winegard Sensar Pro (Which is also a power supply, in fact it repalces the wall plate in some rigs)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #5

If you have a Winegard bomb. A box that has many buttons and inputs/outputs and is a little over 1" tall and about 15 inches long, the on-off button is just for power to the DVD player. I has nothing to do the with the antenna power. The antenna power comes directly from the box on the Antenna lead.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If you have a Winegard bomb. A box that has many buttons and inputs/outputs and is a little over 1" tall and about 15 inches long, the on-off button is just for power to the DVD player. I has nothing to do the with the antenna power. The antenna power comes directly from the box on the Antenna lead.

WRONG!! And I have the device so I have personally tested it.

As shipped from the factory the antenna lead went direct from the Box of Many buttons, where it picked up it's 12 volts. to the bulkhead connector in the roof, and from there on to the antenna.

HOWEVER... In some cases (IE: my rig as modified) you might be right.

IF the BOMB was after market, or, as in my case, someone installed a SENSAR PRO in front of it..

But that box supplies power to the roof normally.

(Newer units have a different bomb, that one does is not made by Winegard and does not provide power)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

I can't find it in this document, but I read where the on/off switch was only for the RF Modulator for the DVD player. I know it does nothing for my TV reception.

You're actually agreeing with me. It goes directly from the box to the antenna. It does say you need it on for a non amplified antenna.

www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451996.pdf winegard® entertainment select

"NOTE: It is not necessary to press the TV antenna Power button for +12 volt power to the 10 dB amplifier inside the video distribution switch. After the unit is connected to a +12 volt power source, the video distribution switch automatically provides power to the internal 10 dB amplifier."

"Note: The TV antenna Power button does not need to be pressed to the ON position to provide 12 volt power to the internal 10 dB amplifier inside the video distribution switch for non-amplified TV antenna."

Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless the TV's have been changed out they are analog and will not receive digital signals. The last year of Seaview production was 2001
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

I have both with a splitter that goes to a converter and backup 13" analog LED TV. Main TV is a Samsung 32" digital LED TV

Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #10

satellite dish

I have a roof mounted satellite dish on my rv but it is fairly old 10 years or
so? my question is would it be worth using my current dish or buying one of
the tailgater dishes that camping world sells? I also do not have a receiver
but I think if I sign up for satellite tv the dishnetwork will provide one for me?

I know my dish is old style and u have to manually dial it all in. the new ones
like the tailgater are all automatic. is it hard to dial the old dish in? or should
I just buy a new automatic one? thanks for any info or help.
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just purchased a Tailgater for ours. You need a 211 receiver to use it-it is programed to run the tailgater.I bring the 211 receiver from my office when I am in the coach and don't have to pay any more (dish charges for the receiver not the location). I just bought the Tailgater since I already had the receiver. Simple to do. Hook into your outside cable hookup that runs to your TV. You can put the tailgater on the roof or on the ground if you have a southern sky exposure. The tailgater is one great piece of equipment and will find your satellites. The only negative is that it is a small dish inside and is more prone to interruptions because of cloud cover. I don't need my antenna any more.

The video on Camping World shows just how it works. When traveling I put it on the bed with pillows around it since it is probably very sensitive inside.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I just purchased a Tailgater for ours. You need a 211 receiver to use it-it is programed to run the tailgater.I bring the 211 receiver from my office when I am in the coach and don't have to pay any more (dish charges for the receiver not the location). I just bought the Tailgater since I already had the receiver. Simple to do. Hook into your outside cable hookup that runs to your TV. You can put the tailgater on the roof or on the ground if you have a southern sky exposure. The tailgater is one great piece of equipment and will find your satellites. The only negative is that it is a small dish inside and is more prone to interruptions because of cloud cover. I don't need my antenna any more.

The video on Camping World shows just how it works. When traveling I put it on the bed with pillows around it since it is probably very sensitive inside.
Just a word of warning - When you are away from your rig at a campground, secure the Tailgater in some fashion. Folks have come back to the rig to find them missing.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great reminder! I do lock mine to the ladder on the roof. Also I always use the round locks with a cable because they are hard to cut. My brother lost a brand new Honda EU2000 at the Richmond Nascar race—they just cut his lock and it was gone.
Also, regarding the Honda EU Series. They don’t have to cut your lock or cable, they can just cut the plastic handle. You should buy the hard metal ‘Theft Deterrent Bracket’ that goes on top of the handle. I use the EU2000 when I don’t need big power, as it uses about a fifth of the gas that my Generac 5500. And it is quieter!!
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roof