Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #1

Roof Vents/Fans

I’ve been reading through this forum for the last few days, and I’ve picked up some really great information. What an amazing resource!

I am about to take ownership of a 2004 Seabreeze LX from my parents who do not want all the work involved with a motorhome. The roof caulking is very dried out and cracked in many places. This was initially found by me after a couple of instances of water in the bathroom area and by the front passenger seat. I repaired the shower skylight, but have not addressed the front area yet. I’m thinking there is a leak where the roof meats the front cap. My plan is to remove and completely re-caulk the entire roof when the weather gets better (Wisconsin near Green Bay). I think I know what I’m doing, but any advise on how or what to use would be welcome. I’ve owned 1 pop-up, and 2 travel trailers that were all purchased new. This is my first motorhome, and first time dealing with something that needs some TLC.

The motor home is in very nice condition, but the (3) 14” roof vents seem in poor condition. The interior bezels are yellow/orange aged plastic color with very dirty old screens. They do not represent the condition of the rest of the motorhome. Since I’m redoing the entire roof, should I be replacing these vents with new ones? Or could I just get replacement parts for them? They would need new screens, bezels, lids, and fans where appropriate. Also, there are controls on the slide panels for a fantastic fan in the kitchen area, and while the motor works, the fan doesn’t spin. The bathroom fan is basically junk, and the vent near the shower is fanless. Any recommendations with this?

Thank you!
TJHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there a roof over the M/H ? If not, my preference would be to bite the bullet and take to a service facility (go to RV Service Reviews) that is OK and let them do the repairs. Bet they will find some things you have not yet discovered. Hopefully, the water leaks you fixed did not end up somewhere you did not discover and are not causing a further problem.

Are there manuals in the M/H that help to find repair parts ? If not, keep searching on this forum for more help. What are the DOT markings on the tires....for date of birth ?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Is there a roof over the M/H ? If not, my preference would be to bite the bullet and take to a service facility (go to RV Service Reviews) that is OK and let them do the repairs. Bet they will find some things you have not yet discovered. Hopefully, the water leaks you fixed did not end up somewhere you did not discover and are not causing a further problem.

Are there manuals in the M/H that help to find repair parts ? If not, keep searching on this forum for more help. What are the DOT markings on the tires....for date of birth ?
The motorhome is stored in a new building except when we use it, and will be that way for the foreseeable future. So I will be able to maintain its current condition.

I get what you’re saying about the repairs, but I am beyond capable of doing the work. Frankly, I will do it better as it’s MY motorhome. I will be doing the repairs myself, but I was hoping for opinions on what to consider doing. I have been a good customer to a local RV sales business, and will consult them on these issues if I don’t get help here. I just don’t want to buy parts from them, and I don’t plan on having them do the work. But...who knows??

Tires are not of concern. They are from 2016.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
YO_

National RV Owners Club
TJHUB, congrats on your rig. We have the Dolphin same year. Like you my vents have some issues. SInce you need to replace most of the stuff, I would purchase new vents with the metal base. That will give you the new cover, cover seal, screen adn the new look inside. IT will also be cheaper than purchasing individual parts.
Roof issues. The seam between the cap and roof is a problem with a lot of rigs. The best thing to do is make sure all the screws are snug, nothing loose. Clean the area around it and install Eternabond tap over the entire length. The key is to make sure it is clean and be patient layng the tape on it and work out the air bubbles.
By the way, the area above the drivers seat where the cap and roof meet, is pretty typical of coming loose and causing the leak above the front area inside the rig.
Good Luck
YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YO_ View Post
TJHUB, congrats on your rig. We have the Dolphin same year. Like you my vents have some issues. SInce you need to replace most of the stuff, I would purchase new vents with the metal base. That will give you the new cover, cover seal, screen adn the new look inside. IT will also be cheaper than purchasing individual parts.
Roof issues. The seam between the cap and roof is a problem with a lot of rigs. The best thing to do is make sure all the screws are snug, nothing loose. Clean the area around it and install Eternabond tap over the entire length. The key is to make sure it is clean and be patient layng the tape on it and work out the air bubbles.
By the way, the area above the drivers seat where the cap and roof meet, is pretty typical of coming loose and causing the leak above the front area inside the rig.
Good Luck
Thanks! I called my RV dealer, and they will show me differences in vents and help figure out what I should do. I have been looking into the Eternabond tape. Looks very waterproof if done correctly. I too am thinking all new vents is the way to go if I’m going to be stripping all,of the old caulk off anyways.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on the new (to you) RV!

*I* would suggest to replace at least one of the fans with one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00070...ywords=maxxfan

We've put them in ours and really like it.

I like it because I can set it to automatically come on at a certain temperature to move the air in the RV. It's parked in my driveway so I can always see what it's doing.
Due to the design it can be opened on a rainy day and not let water in - which is very nice.

My wife likes it because she's not tall enough to reach the controls mounted on a fan, so the remote control for this fan is her friend.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Congrats on the new (to you) RV!

*I* would suggest to replace at least one of the fans with one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00070...ywords=maxxfan

We've put them in ours and really like it.

I like it because I can set it to automatically come on at a certain temperature to move the air in the RV. It's parked in my driveway so I can always see what it's doing.
Due to the design it can be opened on a rainy day and not let water in - which is very nice.

My wife likes it because she's not tall enough to reach the controls mounted on a fan, so the remote control for this fan is her friend.
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting this cleaned up and using it this summer. Both kids are leaving for college in August, so my wife and I will go on our first no-kids weekend outing. I don't even know what that's like!!

I was looking at those Maxxair versions yesterday. The price is a little steep for me, but it's on the list.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

After watching many video reviews of the Maxxair fans, I think it’s the best choice. But why do plastic fans have to cost so much? Even the manual open deluxe version is pricey. The Fan-Tastic stuff is pricey too. Ridiculous...
Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #9

My vote is Fantastic fans. As for your roof, I made a similar repair to my 5th wheel, made by National. The rear cap leaked, but since the joint is the same front or rear; Remove the plastic insert and metal trim strip that goes all the way across the RV. You will find that most, if not all the screws are rusted. You will replace these screws with SS screws. Clean the area of rust, fill each hole with toothpicks or the like, and a little Titebond III (its waterproof wood glue). Use Dicor or Sikaflex and run a bead of caulk across the roof where the cap goes over the rubber roofing. The metal strip and plastic insert are standard RV parts so you could replace with new. Fill each screw hole with Dicor. Then put your new metal trim strip on and screw in your new SS screws. Don't overdrive the screws. Clean the area with Eternabond cleaner, then lay down 6" wide Eternabond over the whole seam, start the tape under the trim strip on the side, then carry it all the way to the other side of the RV and under the trim strip on the other side. Reattach the side trim strips.

Remove all roof caulking, and re-seal with Dicor or Sikaflex. Use self-leveling caulk where it is mostly flat. Don't use silicone anywhere. Clean the rubber roof really well, then use 303 Protectant on the roof, like wax but it isn't, 2x yr. Now go camping.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
My vote is Fantastic fans. As for your roof, I made a similar repair to my 5th wheel, made by National. The rear cap leaked, but since the joint is the same front or rear; Remove the plastic insert and metal trim strip that goes all the way across the RV. You will find that most, if not all the screws are rusted. You will replace these screws with SS screws. Clean the area of rust, fill each hole with toothpicks or the like, and a little Titebond III (its waterproof wood glue). Use Dicor or Sikaflex and run a bead of caulk across the roof where the cap goes over the rubber roofing. The metal strip and plastic insert are standard RV parts so you could replace with new. Fill each screw hole with Dicor. Then put your new metal trim strip on and screw in your new SS screws. Don't overdrive the screws. Clean the area with Eternabond cleaner, then lay down 6" wide Eternabond over the whole seam, start the tape under the trim strip on the side, then carry it all the way to the other side of the RV and under the trim strip on the other side. Reattach the side trim strips.

Remove all roof caulking, and re-seal with Dicor or Sikaflex. Use self-leveling caulk where it is mostly flat. Don't use silicone anywhere. Clean the rubber roof really well, then use 303 Protectant on the roof, like wax but it isn't, 2x yr. Now go camping.

Thanks for the post. One thing that seems common is that the Maxxair fans are a lot quieter than the Fantastic fans. Dollar for dollar, Maxxair seems the winner. I also really like the built-in rain guard style. Very cool.

My motorhome has a fiberglass roof, but I appreciate your opinion. I will use your methods on the caps.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
II prefer the Maxxfan to the Fantastic fan but both are good products. The one with the remote is very handy if you have a vertically challenged person in your group and the thermostat function is awesome! They move so much air even at low speed that you only need one exhausting and use the other normal vents to pull cool air in.

With Eternabond you should seal the edges of the tape with Dicor self leveling caulking or it CAN leak. And replace any skylights at the same time. They get brittle and a well placed pinecone or branch can crack them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Re: Vents/ Roof

For FANS, sounds like you need switches/ motors/ trim, so maybe best to buy assemblies and replace in full; for vents, you can buy just roof plastic to replace, about $10/ each, but certainly, full assembles are not much more expensive, just more labor to replace and water seal. Re: ROOF, you can get a pinless moisture meter that will greatly help locate leaks/ wet spots (abt $40/ Lowes) Luck to ya
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #13

Just an update.

Roof vents are a huge pain to buy! I can’t get what I want from 1 company, and I’ve decided I’d like all of the (what is now 4 vents) to look consistent from the inside. I wanted to buy all Maxxair vents and fans, but the controls will not allow me to use the fan controls on the wall. A big deal? No, but I would like to use what’s there. So I dug more into Fan-tastic vents and fans, and while not exactly what I want, they seem to have everything that will work. My only issue with them is I wanted white lids to allow more light in, but their white lids seem solid where they don’t let light in. So I’ll have to buy the smoke lids as they are semitransparent. They also have a mechanical 3 speed switch that can be left on the highest setting so that my walll controls work with it. They also have this low profile bath fan version I plan to put in the bathroom only.

Tags
fan, roof, vent